OCR01573 - Chrono Trigger "Forever Until Tomorrow"

djpretzel

This mix is something else, I really haven't heard much like it here, and I love it. It's a really great re-invention of Memories of Green, a song that's been remixed quite a bit. The mix has quickly jumped to the top of my favorites list, thanks for bringing us such an awesome mix SS.

There is mystery in the air.

The source tune always had a very dreary and dark feeling to it that well personified the early part of Crono's journey. What you did with this piece, lyrics and all, built upon that basis and expanded it to a masterpiece. I have enjoyed several of the lyrical pieces I've heard on OCR before ("dreams come true" being one of them) but this easily topples them all. The Piano, the Guitar, the Vocals - this is a Masterpiece. I love everything about it.

I had held off downloading CT remixes for some time due to the sheer volume of them, but I made an exception for this and Black Wind Rising solely because of how awesome the pieces you've brought together are. I am now a loyal fan of Star Salzman.

Wow, I haven't heard of you in ages. It's so good to hear from you again!!! :)

I thought this track was remixed extremely well, what with the bits of percussion, the bass, etc. Everything just works so well and I'm truly impressed with how amazing this is. While my nostalgia for your other music makes me like them more, I'd have to say that this is your best remix to date yet I can't help but love the songs that got me into you more... I hope that makes sense.

Glad to hear from you again, Star Salzman. :)

Excellent Remix. Im loving every second of it. All chrono trigger revisions and remixes all rock. Doesnt matter who makes them, they all are good to the ear. Rock on people. Rock the *cough* on. hehe....evil now must I be.

I mentioned this in IRC, but the bass playing reminds me of Stanley Clarke, a jazz/fusion bassist who was most popular in the late 70's playing with Chick Corea's fusion band, Return to Forever. Phenomenal track overall, but the bass is definitely the best part. The lyrics are clever too.

This is one of the most splendid remixes I've heard ina long while. With wonderful bass tracks, and Linkin Park-esk lyrics, I would expect this song to be heard on the radio with some minor tweaking! I simply loved the remix, and wish to see mixing maybe move towards this kind of style, with more lyrics, and less repetitive techno-beats, as seems to be a common trend. Again, this song has quickly joined my favorites list, and I seem to find a nice piece of the song that I may have missed before ever time I listen to it. Thank you Star. Thank you...so...much...

Dude you've out done yourself with this remix. It's THE best Memories of Green remix ever to come out period. Some of the lyrics remind me of the Guru at the end of time like when you say "space and time have no meaning anymore" and "someone let me out of here!" lol priceless..

Symphonic rock forever! This is a serious, pompous and pretentious piece... and that´s not a bad thing. Actually, it´s a VERY good thing! Square RPG music makes excellent material for progressive remixes, and this is one of the best I´ve heared. Extra plus for lyrics, they make this tune stand out even more.

I hate prog rock and I find most vocal in remixes to suck. I was expecting to hate this one when I DLed it out of habit (I'm a CT soundtrack fan).

I have never been so wrong about a remix in all the years I've listened to the stuff on OCR.

This song is pure winning awesome in ways I can't even begin to describe. The vocals are mesmerising, the arrangements are captivating and the whole vibe is simply stunning. I find myself singing along, garnering odd looks on the tube.

Looked up my old account details just to post that this song is my new favourite, against all odds.

WTB lyrics.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe how great this is. I admit I was a bit put off when I read what the source was but the song just obliterated that feeling before the vocals even began. It just elicits such powerful emotions(from me anyways). Although I think in this case, as I did with Pillars of Salt, the vocals add so much to the piece despite how indifferent I am about the actual lyrics. Giant props to the vocalist.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm positively in love with this song. My iPod Shuffle can't seem to get past it. I just can't do it. It ends and I go right back to the beginning. I have to listen to this song. It has such a grip on me that it gives me chills. The piano, the bass, the drums, the vocals... Egads, the vocals! EXQUISITE. And the lyrics are fantastic. Lastly, the length of the song makes me happy because quite frankly I honestly want this song to last forever!

Nice piano in there!! I loved the guitar! Just one thing though!! PLEASE get me a non vocal version. For several reasons:

1. The singer is good, but not trained. Not trying to judge as I would have trouble with this one as well!

2. It would make a great remix for me to sing to!!!

3. The guitar, piano, drums totally ROCK!! They'd be cool by themselves.

4. Lyrics could use some polishing, but there are definitely some GREAT sections.

Very memorable mix though!! I will TOTALLY listen to this one often. Despite my complaints, the pros outweigh the cons!!!

Inspiring in just about every way.

To pick one thing to comment on, the vocal production is really nice. I'm digging the clean recordings, very subtle but effective harmonies, uber-even dynamics (I wonder what compressors were used and where they were applied in the FX chain), creative and not overbearing or obvious use of pitch-modification, and the fact that the mid-heavy vocals gives them a synthetic quality that blends beautifully with the other instruments (a rich vocal track with warm lows and bright highs would have killed it imo).

If anyone ever sees me driving down the highway screaming at the top of my lungs with the windows rolled up, there's a good chance I'll be singing along to one of these parts:

• The wrong way...the wrong way...THE WRONG WAY!
  • Then I awake...at the end of time. Time and space are friends of mine. Someone let me out of here!
  • And the hourglass is working upside down!

Nice.

• 1 month later...

Holy freakin' crap. Mr Salzman has always been one of the male singers I've admired on this site, but this particular production blows my mind. I love the classical introduction, it sets the pace of the song. And I love the heavy percussion mid-way. This song gets me going and keeps me going on days when I have to hussle, and it's just a great listen for any time of the day, all day, forever until tomorrow.

Wonderful production qualities. The bassline in particular is ecstatic. The lyrics are painfully cheesey, though. (It worked for Singing Robot, but for this song it's a little harder to enjoy the kitsch effect.) The piano parts at the beginning and the end are also really great - so clear and clean, masterfully layered composition on top of the well-known melody.

Despite the general quality of the singing itself, though - which is standard Salzman superb quality - I think I'd still prefer an instrumental version, so that lines about the water "spinning backwards" wouldn't distract from appreciating the superb instrumentation.

• 2 months later...

Incredible lyrics, sung with the right edge of anger/frustration that would be anyone's reaction on having to re-learn the laws of time and space. The music is very good... there's a couple of points where it seems that there's too much going on, but that's a personal taste issue.

Quite excellent. :-)

• 6 months later...

...I want to write an intelligent comment on the musical-theory aspects of this song, but the sheer levels of epic win have paralyzed my ability to analyze musical awesomeness and comment on it, so you're all just going to have to settle with another "omfg thiz song r0xx0rd my b0xx0rz!11"

This is an absolutely wonderful remix that really brings a new light to what I previously thought was an overused source track that could never go anywhere else (How absolutely dead-wrong I was!).

Fantastic job, and easily an instant favorite.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01573 - Chrono Trigger "Forever Until Tomorrow"