OCR00724 - Super Mario RPG "Farewell, Star Guardian"

Saunders

THIS BRANG A TEAR TO MY EYE! :cry: I love this mix! russ you are a genious! I remember days i would come home and listen to the original track from the game because it was so good! :cry: but THIS!!!!! IS SOOOOO[goes on forever and stretches the page] STU-TASTICALY FAN-TABULOUS!!!!!!!!!! I COULD LISTEN TO THIS ALL DAY AND NIGHT AND NEVER GOT BORED! :)!!:)!!:)!! the orchestra is done so well! did you use a real one?

It sure sounds like you did! THIS IS SOOOOOOOOO GOOD THAT ITS BETTER THAN ANY KINGDOM HEARTS TRACK! I have to have more! PLEASE!! I beg of you! :puppyeyes:

I hate you. SO. MUCH. RIGHT. NOW.

ANYway, I'm a big fan of Russell's work, and this was a song I enjoyed a great deal in the game, so of course, this mix is teh r0x0rs. I like hearing some striaght orchestral mixes after seeing techno after techno after...well, you know what I mean.

Okay since I have nothing else to do right now I am going to tell you my story of how I stumbled upon this great mix. Well when I used to have Kazaa (evil.. pure EVIL..) I was bored, so I looked up songs for SMRPG. The first one that popped up was this one. I didn't know about OCR back then, by the way. Anyway I downloaded, and I absolutely fell in love! It almost brought tears to my eyes! I listened to it for days. I really like orchestral music and this is, is, is genius. So anyway, after listening to it about a million times, I wanted to find where it came from.. I looked up the description and it said "http://remix.overclocked.org" of course I went! And that's how I found out about OCR and this lovely mix. Wonderful job.

• 2 months later...

All I can say is... wow. It's so true to the original. It's as if you've just taken the original .spc and used some secret coolifying program to make it sound so great. This is one of my favorites. On the last part where the celesta finishes playing, you can just imagine Geno flying off into the sky, the other party members waving a goodbye.

I first downloaded this while watching stars on a clear night. It's one of the things that makins time stop and you have control over the universe... then your neighbors come along, blasting their rapcrap. So I took my boombox and turned up the volume, aimed riiight at the window. I say this gets a five out of five.

• 3 months later...

Such a delight to listen to, I enjoyed this even more than your 'To Zanarkland Once Again' (that I first heard on rpgamer.com years ago). It has that touchingly sad melody combined with a certain inexplicable liveliness in parts that makes it quite bittersweet, wonderfully accentuated when it needs to be, well done sir.

• 3 weeks later...
WARNING! COMPOSER RAMBLINGS!

I do appreciate all of the comments from everyone that I have received so far. Rob's opinion stands out the most in my mind for several reasons -- he didn't attack me, didn't proclaimed that the piece was terrible in a whole, just not to his usual liking (though I've seen some positive reviews from him before), and didn't make any derogatory remakes. I do enjoy a lot of positive responses, but even negative ones like Rob's do help to remind us not to get a big head. THAT is was I like to see in people that don't like a particular song, as I know that not everyone is going to like every song that I do.

Someone suggested that I make some comments on every song in the future in case someone is interested to know how I achieved a certain effect. Well...here goes:

For those interested, the opening instrument was originally planned to be a piano solo before the pizzacato strings and harp enter, but the piano just didn't seem right. However, the combination of a vibraphone down low for the bass tones with a celeste for the driving force worked a lot better in trying to achieve a childhood feel -- I like the term lullaby that has almost become synonomous with this particular remix.

I choose a celeste because it's a combination of two instruments -- a glockenspiel and a piano for those of you that don't know what a celeste is. It's basically a very rare (and extremely expensive) instrument that is like an upright piano. However, instead of the hammers hitting strings like a piano, the hammers hit metal bars much akin to a glockenspiel. It's used mainly when a composer wants a glockenspiel sound, but a lot 'fuller.'

However, it's not a common instrument and should not be used repeatedly just on whim. They aren't mass produced and are built to oder with a very hefty price tag. Very few orchestras have one and if one does have a celeste, that particular orchestra always leases it out to nearby orchestras since they are so rare. Many people may not have heard of one and the two best examples I can give at this point are "Dance of the Sugarplum Fairies" from The Nutcracker Suite by Peter Tchaikovsky and various songs from Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone: The Sountrack by John Williams.

ok, half of those instruments i've never heard of

As a (Past) concert oboe-ist I love this kinda stuff. Russel's rendition of the Guardian Legend Theme was the first to get me hooked. This is such a nicely done piece that really gets to the heart of the original. By chance what hardware (synth or otherwise) do you use? There are a couple of songs I'm itchin to remix in this same fashion but my current tally is: Remix equip= computer.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

hmm, well made, definately well made, worthy of being part of a movie soundtrack, or a life montauge (dear God, I hope im speling this word right)(you know, a montuge of pictures to music, maybe somevideo footage and some qquotes to music shown at ones funeral (if they choose a celebration funeral rather than a mounful funeral) to celebrate ones life)

I lik how it does justice to the theme, I love the game, paper mario needds ggeno in it, paper mario 3, ill force them to put geno in it. I swear. he was freakin awesome.

HE SUMMONED BEAMS OF LIGHT FROM THE SKY TO KILL!

HE HAD A 99999 ATTACK!

HE HAD A FREAKING ARM CANNON!

anyway, they need to put him back in.

• 3 years later...

Ok, I know it's been like 6 years since this piece was made, but I MUST tell you what an impact it's made on me.

Super Mario RPG is my favorite nostalgic game of all time, and listening to the precious few remixes not only brings back my childhood memories but reminds me what an incredible soundtrack those old SNES games could have.

Your remix of "Seeing Dreams Through the Window of the Stars" sends chills through me every time I listen to it, and has, on more than one occasion, literally made tears pour from my eyes. The melody is so hauntingly beautiful on its own, but you enhanced it so perfectly that every emotion inside me just wants to explode.

Call me crazy, but I just needed to give my thanks to you and try to convey what this song makes me feel, which can't be described in words. Thank you :)

~Samantha

http://cosplay.takaginaosama.com

• 1 year later...

A really nice lullaby that even without percussion has some excellent textures. I love the delicate harp and bells mixed in with the strings, and the woodwinds and brass are also well used. Transitions are great, and the source melody is really well suited to the treatment.

A great mix, definitely check this one out.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Wonderful, beautiful......just perfect to me on a nostalgic level. I remember hearing the original ending the first time I finished SMRPG, and it was pretty emotional since it was the first RPG I ever played and I thought the music summed up the end well. This brings back those feelings in spades and I have to say that I'll be enjoying this one for a long time.

• 2 years later...

This remix is nostalgic to me in a number of ways. With Super Mario RPG having been my introduction to RPGs, "Goodbye, Geno" was the first track from a video game that legit made me feel emotional. Fast forward several years when I discover OCReMix around 2003 or so. This was one of the first remixes I listened to and it did not disappoint. I recently came back to listen to it again, and even today it still gets me feeling nostalgic, despite how dated some of the instruments sound. That oboe is amazing, though, and sounds better than some commercial ones I've heard.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00724 - Super Mario RPG "Farewell, Star Guardian"