Blizzard is making a "next gen MMO".

Bigfoot

I think it would be best if they were to try and combine an MMO with a strategy game. One player could be waging a battle, but others could be having an RPG experience amidst that battle, and even selling their services to the various sides. It would be a good way for Blizzard to continue their RTS traditions while furthering their MMO ambitions.

I think it would be best if they were to try and combine an MMO with a strategy game. One player could be waging a battle, but others could be having an RPG experience amidst that battle, and even selling their services to the various sides. It would be a good way for Blizzard to continue their RTS traditions while furthering their MMO ambitions.

And would kill Warhammer: Age of Reckoning. Hell, I'd play it!

i'm an avid WoW player. But i'd drop WoW in a heartbeat for Diablo 3 or starcraft 2,...seiously..starcraft was my first ever RTS...it's what made me become a gamer! and diablo is just awesome

also!

Every blizzard game has ended with the bad guys winning

in starcraft kerrigan conquers the universe

in warcraft arthas becomes the lich king and is currently the most powerful creature on azeroth

in diablo baal corrupts the worldstone and you are sent to some random safe place because the worldstone can't hold back Hell and the planet is in trouble

everyone of them (excluding warcraft because it has a WoW already) is sequel-worthy

Seeing that it has been a long time since Blizzard has done something with Starcraft, i'll bet that that's the one. Especially when it is gonna be announced in Korea.

But i'd rather see Diablo 3. I've never played Starcraft, and i never will. Yes, it's blasphemy, but i just don't like RTS games, and especially the ones in the future.

You know it's weird, but I've beaten Diablo 2 well over 100 times and I don't think I ever watched any of the cut scenes all the way through, and sure as HELL didn't listen to any of the NPCs. Diablo 3 could have us battling the easter bunny for I care.

You know it's weird, but I've beaten Diablo 2 well over 100 times and I don't think I ever watched any of the cut scenes all the way through, and sure as HELL didn't listen to any of the NPCs. Diablo 3 could have us battling the easter bunny for I care.

And lo', many centuries ago he hid his seeds of destruction. With there dark yolk floating in the soft albumen of evil, they await the time to spring forth from their colorful prison to wreak havoc upon the land.

The Horadrim has since spent that time searching for and destroying as many as they can, but they are too numerous to count. We need you, Hero.

The time is now...

The cutscenes are still cool to watch, and the dialogue was pretty nice to listen to sometimes. Shame you never did, It partially takes away your involvement in the game.

The cutscenes are still cool to watch, and the dialogue was pretty nice to listen to sometimes. Shame you never did, It partially takes away your involvement in the game.

I must have watched them at some point, and remember some nice voice acting in there, but once you get involved in online play you are too busy clicking through them to get your character to Hell so you can pwn some cows.

I would be all about a Starcraft MMO, as long as it looks as good as EVE without being as boring as EVE was. Another thing I wish Blizzard would do in their next game: Allow players to take territories. Hell, I wish they'd implement it in Warcraft. Right now, it's either Horde, Alliance, or contested, and it doesn't change. I think it'd be wicked awesome if each area in the game had a series of 'flash points' that could be taken over by the other factions. Once a group holds all the hot points in an area against all comers for say, three days to a week, control of the territory goes to that faction. I understand a lot of people would hate that, but if they made it a PvP only thing, or even put up four or five dedicated servers, it would rock my socks. I think it would be INSANE to actually have a war in Warcraft.

There's the possibility for a Diablo MMO that it could take place as a prequel. That would be pretty cool in my opinion and opens up a lot of possibilities. But again I wouldn't care since I sure didn't play D2 for the storyline. Also waiting for Hellgate: London though.

I would be all about a Starcraft MMO, as long as it looks as good as EVE without being as boring as EVE was. Another thing I wish Blizzard would do in their next game: Allow players to take territories. Hell, I wish they'd implement it in Warcraft. Right now, it's either Horde, Alliance, or contested, and it doesn't change. I think it'd be wicked awesome if each area in the game had a series of 'flash points' that could be taken over by the other factions. Once a group holds all the hot points in an area against all comers for say, three days to a week, control of the territory goes to that faction. I understand a lot of people would hate that, but if they made it a PvP only thing, or even put up four or five dedicated servers, it would rock my socks. I think it would be INSANE to actually have a war in Warcraft.

Yeah it sounds good in theory, but in the game it would be 85% (or more) of the time the Alliance would hold those points. The Horde is sorely out numbered on all servers. No one wants to be a big green hulk, a smurf with tusks, a big cow, a smelly zombie, or a pointy-eared pale junkie bimbo. :<:(

As for Blizz's next-gen MMO I really think it'd have to be Diablo orientated. As much as I'd like a SC MMO, I don't see how much it'd be different from WoW, except with maybe ship combat and flight. SC was really just WC IN SPACE (lol) however SC was much more balanced and evovled than, say WC2 to WC3.

Diablo as a MMO would totally ruin any interest I would have in the sequel. Unless it somehow manages to rise above the festering pile that MMOs currently occupy.

That would be the goal indeed. I'd say they could retain some of the feel of D2, since it went online very well. What I liked about D2 is you could have dozens of characters instead of constantly working on one dude for hundreds of hours. True, to get to level 99 took time, but getting to level 85 could be done in a week or two easily.

Yeah it sounds good in theory' date=' but in the game it would be 85% (or more) of the time the Alliance would hold those points. [/quote']

Actually, it's much more 50/50 than most people think. Of course noody but Blizzard has the actual stats, but they will shuffle people around on servers to maintain balance by offerring them free character transfers, etc. It's pretty balanced. What changes it is the number of Alliance and Horde actually logged in to a server, which even Blizzard has no control over. Also, if they had a dedicated server, there's no reason they couldn't put in a gating system to make sure the balance is upheld.

Now for the obligatory on-topic comment:

What if this MMO is something....

COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!?!?!!

Seriously, not one person I've seen has even mentioned that yet. Blizzard is perfectly capable of creating a new franchise and making it rock just as hard as the others. I think people sell them short anymore though, because Starcraft is 10 years old and Diablo's also quite aged. The only thing they've really kept up with for the last 5 years or so is WarCraft, so people only think of them as the company that made WoW. They're capable of much more than that. They set all the trends that everybody else has followed in the RTS and MMO genres a long time ago. But if you had a game bringing in 50 trillion dollars a month, you'd probably focus on it too. That's the other thing: Because of WoW, Blizzard can support completely ASTRONOMICAL development costs. The sky is literally the limit for whatever they decide to do, and as far as I'm concerned, if it's as good as WoW, I'm already happy.

Actually, it's much more 50/50 than most people think. Of course noody but Blizzard has the actual stats, but they will shuffle people around on servers to maintain balance by offerring them free character transfers, etc. It's pretty balanced. What changes it is the number of Alliance and Horde actually logged in to a server, which even Blizzard has no control over. Also, if they had a dedicated server, there's no reason they couldn't put in a gating system to make sure the balance is upheld.

http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php?serverid=-1&factionid=-1&minlevel=10&maxlevel=70&servertypeid=-1

I don't want to turn this into a WoW thread so I'll just post this nice link so you can see how outnumbered Horde is.

I stand corrected. I can't refuse hard numbers. It's still only from people using the UI mod, but more than enough to be a representative sample. Still, it seems to kind of depend on the server. I checked the two I play on: Stormreaver is 66% alliance, 34% horde, Ravendare is 33% alliance, 67% horde. But overall, not (nearly) as balanced as Blizzard claims either way, so I take it back.