Blizzard is making a "next gen MMO".

Bigfoot

How the hell would an MMORTS work? If it were a persistant, ongoing world, players could spend months building armies + fortresses (or whatever) while new players get instantly obliterated and have no chance of obtaining new resources. Doesn't seem realistic.

Not really. An objective based MMORTS could work in a smaller specialized team approach.

Lets say you have an infiltration commander, an artillery commander, a medic commander, a resource gatherer commander and such kinda like a class in an MMORPG. You could have training objectives in a "simulator" something like normal leveling areas in MMORPGs. Based on your abilities (think something like command points based on your level) you get a default unit configuration. These training missions get you more unit purchasing power (the availability being dependant on your faction's current standings in the mission areas). Once you want to get into real action you team up with people and you either take on "objective missions," (PVE objectives that add more resources to your faction) and you would have "conflict missions" (PVP objectives kinda like battlegrounds where you gain footing on better resource spots, increasing your standing, thus lowering your costs for recruiting units.)

The higher you are, the better units you can purchase, the better reputation you are the cheaper they are, and the more resources your faction has, the easier it is topurchase units.

Not really. An objective based MMORTS could work in a smaller specialized team approach.

Lets say you have an infiltration commander, an artillery commander, a medic commander, a resource gatherer commander and such kinda like a class in an MMORPG. You could have training objectives in a "simulator" something like normal leveling areas in MMORPGs. Based on your abilities (think something like command points based on your level) you get a default unit configuration. These training missions get you more unit purchasing power (the availability being dependant on your faction's current standings in the mission areas). Once you want to get into real action you team up with people and you either take on "objective missions," (PVE objectives that add more resources to your faction) and you would have "conflict missions" (PVP objectives kinda like battlegrounds where you gain footing on better resource spots, increasing your standing, thus lowering your costs for recruiting units.)

The higher you are, the better units you can purchase, the better reputation you are the cheaper they are, and the more resources your faction has, the easier it is topurchase units.

It could be a persistent world if you made it so people didn't create their own factions like clans, you just joined existing ones. Kind of like a MMO Risk.

The player set up could be like real military (Supreme Commander all the way down to grunt soldier). The gameplay could be like...Well hell, if anyone has read Ender's Game, it could be an online version of the invasion "simulator". And to keep factions from completely locking down an entire map, it could reset every few months or so, depending on the scale of the game. If it's a huge world sized map, it could reset once a year. The players would still keep their records, the borders just get redrawn to the starting point. The point, obviously, is to take over the world.

It would definitely make for an interesting game. People would actually have to follow orders, and those orders would have to be good. VOIP would probably be a must, again working somewhat like Ender's game. Click on one icon to talk to the rank above you, another to others of your rank, and another to the rank just below you.

Or you could not trust unofficial sources and wait to see what actual Blizzard reps say

Just, you know, throwing that out there

Because the blizzard.com webpage listing current employment opportunities isn't official enough, I guess..

Why the hell is everyone automatically assuming it's an MMORPG? It's not even official they're making a StarCraft MMO yet, and even if they are, how do you know it's gonna be an RPG? MMORTS, anyone?

This is Blizzard we're talking about. At this point expecting Blizzard to make a game that's not an MMORPG is like expecting Sega to make a good Sonic game.

It's not motherfucking happening.

What? Blizzard already has stated that their next game isn't going to be an MMORPG.

Where and when?

If you're referring to Eppy's link (which is about 8 months old), all they said in that was that they had no plans for a new MMO at that time. They did not say they had plans to release anything else before making a new MMO. Also, 8 months have passed in which those plans could have changed. Also, the Penny Arcade guys, who are usually pretty good at keeping their facts straight are taking it for a given that blizzard's new thing is going to be an MMORPG.

Where and when?

If you're referring to Eppy's link (which is about 8 months old), all they said in that was that they had no plans for a new MMO at that time. They did not say they had plans to release anything else before making a new MMO. Also, 8 months have passed in which those plans could have changed. Also, the Penny Arcade guys, who are usually pretty good at keeping their facts straight are taking it for a given that blizzard's new thing is going to be an MMORPG.

Well, I have had several sources confirm to me several of Blizzard's current projects, and I highly doubt any of them will be an MMO.

Also, 8 months have passed in which those plans could have changed. Also, the Penny Arcade guys, who are usually pretty good at keeping their facts straight are taking it for a given that blizzard's new thing is going to be an MMORPG.

...How are your critical reading skills? Tycho approached it as a rumor, and said nothing more than it would make sense given how successful WoW has been. Also, just as a note, at no point does he refer to the rumored title as an "MMORPG," just an "MMO." There is still no trustworthy confirmation about anything other than the fact that Blizzard is looking for people to work on a new MMO. Who even knows what the time frame on it is? If they're still looking for important leadership positions development-side, it's clearly not far out of initial planning.

Because the blizzard.com webpage listing current employment opportunities isn't official enough, I guess..

This is Blizzard we're talking about. At this point expecting Blizzard to make a game that's not an MMORPG is like expecting Sega to make a good Sonic game.

It's not motherfucking happening.

Yes, we're all aware that they're hiring for an MMO. Hiring to start making one. Not almost done with one and ready to announce one (or more). Trust me, just wait on this one.

It could be a persistent world if you made it so people didn't create their own factions like clans, you just joined existing ones. Kind of like a MMO Risk.

The player set up could be like real military (Supreme Commander all the way down to grunt soldier). The gameplay could be like...Well hell, if anyone has read Ender's Game, it could be an online version of the invasion "simulator". And to keep factions from completely locking down an entire map, it could reset every few months or so, depending on the scale of the game. If it's a huge world sized map, it could reset once a year. The players would still keep their records, the borders just get redrawn to the starting point. The point, obviously, is to take over the world.

It would definitely make for an interesting game. People would actually have to follow orders, and those orders would have to be good. VOIP would probably be a must, again working somewhat like Ender's game. Click on one icon to talk to the rank above you, another to others of your rank, and another to the rank just below you.

No one likes games where you just follow orders, for one thing. Another thing is that, again, you can't have a persistent RTS world that runs anything like any current RTS because it would be WAY too easy even after a matter of hours for one person, clan, faction, whatever to build up immense power and crush new people instantly.

I was reading about this stuff just the other day. Here is what I read (and what seems interesting about the possibility of a Starcraft 2):

Apparently rumor has it there will be a 4th race. I saw this video on google, and the extra character in there looked like a protoss zealot, except with some extra arms with claws coming out, which matched up with the storyline of the secret Zeratul mission in which you uncover the protoss-zerg hybrid. Maybe the new race is prozerg or zertoss; or maybe it's something new all together--if, in fact, there is a new race, or a Starcraft 2 for that matter. The site I was reading this on said that there was a leak from Blizzard, and it had something to do with Korea.

As for Diablo 3, I was reading about the MMO possibilities. That there are two sides: Angels and Demons, with the humans being split between each side. If you consider how the game ended, they could easily do an MMO take on the storyline. The prime evils may be destroyed, but without the world stone to keep the forces of hell at bay, there could be a never-ending war between the forces of good and evil for the control of the world. If you have ever heard the Diablo Sin War Remix, you might recall a few things in the lyrics/story that give light to the fact that humans would ally with either side. And who knows, maybe there will be something to do with the Horadrim, although Deckard Cain is supposed to be the last. There are a lot of options with Diablo, too.

Basically, I say the chances for either are very high. Although I'd love to see a Diablo MMO game, I would be just as happy to see Starcraft 2 finally make it to the shelves.

Why the hell would you want to play a Starcraft MMO when there's a 40K one coming out. Heck, Starcraft was what Blizzard made when Games Workshop pulled the deal of making a 40K RTS with them! Same goes for Warcraft, it's Warhammer.

So yeah, get 40K instead, xeno scum.

For the emperor.

Apparently rumor has it there will be a 4th race. I saw this video on google, and the extra character in there looked like a protoss zealot, except with some extra arms with claws coming out, which matched up with the storyline of the secret Zeratul mission in which you uncover the protoss-zerg hybrid. Maybe the new race is prozerg or zertoss; or maybe it's something new all together--if, in fact, there is a new race, or a Starcraft 2 for that matter. The site I was reading this on said that there was a leak from Blizzard, and it had something to do with Korea.

That's a fan project video. It's not Blizz material.

Why the hell would you want to play a Starcraft MMO when there's a 40K one coming out. Heck, Starcraft was what Blizzard made when Games Workshop pulled the deal of making a 40K RTS with them! Same goes for Warcraft, it's Warhammer.

So yeah, get 40K instead, xeno scum.

For the emperor.

I seriously dislike people like you.

This is Blizzard, NOT Games Workshop.

I have it from a reliable source that Warhammer is for losers who will never get laid. Starcraft, on the other hand, is for winners who do nothing but get laid. While not playing Starcraft, that is.

As for Warcraft being based upon Warhammer, I can think of a far more popular literary source with elves, dwarves, and orcs that Warhammer and Warcraft both likely derived their setting from.