Blizzard is making a "next gen MMO".

Bigfoot

That's a fan project video. It's not Blizz material.

Gotcha. I didn't know either way. But it was neat to think of the possibility. Besides, I figured it wouldn't be what Starcraft 2 was like--that seemed a little too close to the original. But aside from that video, I DID hear something about a 4th race. Kinda funny how that all seems to flow together though, huh?

I read about 2 weeks ago on IGN PC that the next gen MMO from Blizzard was NOT going to be Warcraft related, so that leaves SC and Diablo, but WoW (from what i hear) is a lot like Diablo (I don't really know because I've never played any Diablo game... no hate plz)

So hopefully It'll be SCU (StarCraft Universe, I hope that will be the MMO name :P )

I have it from a reliable source that Warhammer is for losers who will never get laid. Starcraft, on the other hand, is for winners who do nothing but get laid. While not playing Starcraft, that is.

As for Warcraft being based upon Warhammer, I can think of a far more popular literary source with elves, dwarves, and orcs that Warhammer and Warcraft both likely derived their setting from.

Don't you have some Magic playing to do, xeno scum?

I dislike Warhammer Fantasy as much as I dislike WoW. World-wise, that is. "Hay lets use the same overrated setting over and over and over and over and over again guys!". 40K on the other hand is just superior to Starcraft in every way possible. I'm talking about Dawn of War and Starcraft of course, not the tabletop and Starcraft.

It's the setting that's so damn good. Shove that tired carcass of LOTR-fantasy setting in space and BOOM, it's fresh again. Plus religious fanaticism. Ah, to be a Space Marine in the year 40,000...

I seriously dislike people like you.

This is Blizzard, NOT Games Workshop.

What the hell, this didn't make sense.

i've never even heard oof your warhammer games until recently and i've been playing blizzard games all my life!

You make me laugh. Here's to hoping you are joking.

Protip: Games Workshop has been around since 1975 and single-handedly revolutionized tabletop gaming, from which Starcraft and the entire RTS genre is derived. Sorry, no beans.

Starcraft's setting isn't remotely LotR in space.

You absolutely missed the point. CE was talking about the transition of Warhammer (fantasy, LotR-ish) to Warhammer 40k.

I wouldn't really say that, RD. Warhammer's game design drew from other tabletop strategy wargames at the time, but got its aesthetic from classic fantasy mainstays not necessarily from the gaming community - hence all the talk about LotR.

EDIT: Bahamut, if we want to argue origins of RTS games, I think the common base for most modern RTS games is Dune II by Westwood. It wasn't the first, but really, it's not that much different from what we're still seeing today. I was saying that the RTS genre (Starcraft included) owes a lot to the pioneers of tabletop wargames - they really created a foundation that was moved to a digital format on computers, and was adapted for real-time games later on. Just want props given where props are due.

You absolutely missed the point. CE was talking about the transition of Warhammer (fantasy, LotR-ish) to Warhammer 40k.

He said that Warhammer 40k shoved the LotR setting into space. Earlier he said that Starcraft ripped its setting off from Warhammer 40k. Therefore, my statement that Starcraft is in no way LotR in space is relevant and a refutation of his point that its setting is a ripoff of Warhammer 40k's.

Oh man, the "It's not an MMO" bandwagon is growing!

I don't know what to think. On one hand, Koreans love the original Starcraft, which is an RTS. On the other, they also churn out MMO's, so I can assume they enjoy the latter as well. Would a MMO Starcraft cause a crack in the potential buyers userbase, dividing the RTS players from the Starcraft fans, or would it join the two in epic money?

The main reason it shouldn't be an MMO, however, is the fact that it could cut into the WoW userbase. Plus Blizzard themselves aren't bad developers, so they ought to know there are a ton of people out there that both enjoyed the previous games (me) and dislike MMO's (me again) and that a non MMO Starcraft would become the perfect complement to WoW: one attracts everyone but MMOers, the other attracts the rest.

The answer? SC2:MMORTS

AKA the game that makes eve completely obsolete.

Eve ship combat on air and space MMO starcraft on the ground of planets. This is the worst case scenario. This would put WoW to shame if they really took the time to develop it.

Eve ship combat on air and space MMO starcraft on the ground of planets. This is the worst case scenario. This would put WoW to shame if they really took the time to develop it.

Not really.

They need to start working on WoW's replacement now if they want to replace it when WoW falls.

I don't see the RTS part here. Make the ship combat like an RTS and you got it.