No sound for spoken dialogue in Gothic 2.

RedSand

It's been a while since I've been to the boards, so I had trouble finding Unmod amidst the new layout. Sorry if this topic doesn't belong here. But anyway...

I was just wondering if anyone's played Gothic 2 and could help with this problem I'm having. I dusted off my copy the other day, installed it, and started a new game. I can hear the music and the ambient soud, but I get nothing for NPC spoken dialogue. When I interact with NPCs, all I get is the list of responses. My character doesn't make a sound, the NPC doesn't make a sound. I've tried reinstalling several times, upgrading drivers, and tweaking the sound settings in the game but nothing seems to work. I've found no help at all at the support sites because the developer is German. When nothing helped, I figured I'd just turn on subtitles and continue playing, but the subtitles won't even show up. So now I'm really confused. The game has run perfectly for me before on this same computer. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks.

Thanks for the heads-up. I guess my search was a wasted effort. Anyway, I'm hoping to find someone who might have an idea for my issue, but as good a game as Gothic 2 was, there seems to be very little support for it. Thanks though.

Have you tried running the "dxdiag"?

Click on "start", then "Run", and type in "dxdiag". When it's done running, click the sound tab along the top, and move the "Hardware Sound Acceleration level" arrow down to "Basic Acceleration". Click "exit", and try running the game again. If you still have no sound, run the dxdiag again, turn off the hardware acceleration, and try playing again.

Some games have a problem with hardware acceleration (like The I of the Dragon), and run better with this option turned down, or flat out off.

It's worth a try.

• 2 years later...