OCR00726 - Final Fantasy VII "JENOVAD Trance"

Disco Dan

Final Fantasy VII 'JENOVAD Trance'

I keep wondering why this guy hasn't gone pro yet. I guess in a sense he has if you include his contributions to PMM and Squaredance. But this guy has a serious grasp on the trance basics and even the more expert concepts behind a good trance song. I was happy to see a full diminished triad in a trance song. Right there at 1:18 where djp mentioned, there's a diminished 7 chord. Good god I never thought I'd hear that chord in ANY type of danceable music. It's great. The whole thing is worth it for that chord. And then the progression after that... though this might all have everything in the world to do with the original and not the remix, so I say it with caution, but the interpretation is satisfying. Once again I have to agree with djp when he mentioned the part where the bass drops out at 2:28, then the dream-sounding sequence at 2:55, and state, that the variety in this trance song is what makes it so enjoyable in my mind. Everything, as far as I'm concerned is very solid in this mix, well mixed, well mastered, well arranged. In the future the only thing I might like to hear from Haroon is the use of more varied percussion, perhaps some bongos, congas, anything to give it a little more spice, but used tastefully (that's always the trick, isn't it), and maybe even some more varied instruments looking out side of the world of synths. These aren't necessities, just things I think I'd like to see in the future, but in this mix, I wouldn't change a thing. Masterfully done.

DC

Love this remix!!! It's true, it is a bit like a Darude song (which in itself is a good thing), but it's Final Fantasy so it's even better!

This song is yet another piece of yummy goodness in Haroon's shop of audio candy and definitely ranks among my favorites here at Overclocked Remix.

Wow, this song completely kicked my ass. Having loved the Jenova theme, and this being the first remix of it I've heard (about time!!), it totally floored me. The melody is used perfectly for a song of this genre, the quality is outstanding, the little effects used on some of the instruments are fantastic (like the way the backing insturments zoom in and out shortly in a subtle way during parts of the main melody).

Overall, its definetely one of the best I've heard from Haroon, and one of the best remixes on the site. Great job man!

this song absolutely owns my life. i don't do reviews often (in fact i think this is the first one i've done) so you can imagine how this song affects me. it positively kicks many an ass. the original song was one of the most satisfying songs in the game (and the soundtrack was slightly mediocre compared to some of nobuo's other works)- pity we only heard it like 4 times through the whole game! as far as the remix goes, it stays true to the original melody (one of the high points of the original was that creepy/urgent melody) and adds to it as well. i would like to have heard the original intro a little more intact, but it's not absolutely necessary. this song throws people off 65-story buildings and then spits on them. one thing i like to do is create deathmatch-music CDs (composed of mostly old-school power or thrash such as hammerfall or slayer, but there's some great dance songs and game remixes in there too, most notably dj 3nd3r's dance richter dance), and this is a perfect addition to my latest compilation. i'm ready for some old-school fragging in the bad place with this song.

score: -I-I-I-I-I- 5 out of 5

Of course i've heard many JENOVA mixes from final fantasy 7, and this one is hands down the best one i've heard so far. FFMusicDJ's second mix brings no shame to us all, this comes out beautifully played with synths, the right ammount of beat without completely turning the song upside down.

I was extremelly amazed at how you could make the JENOVA song sound so different while using the same type of instrument just by playing with the pitch, and cutting the sound at times.

The beat is strong with the song and gives it that sort of outlook that makes the song sound on time.

FFMusicDJ's second mix is again a success, im hoping the 3rd will keep thie legacy going. Good job

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

I think the guy did an overall okay job. I have a tiny beef with a few things, but nothing too bad.

I'm a big fan of the original JENOVA theme. I know it inside and out. So I might be a little picky about how it is portrayed.

For instance, I kept wondering what he was going to do with the brass parts (particularly the ascending trumpet near the end of the loop) that makes this piece what it is. I was expecting him to change the instrument, alter the progressions, something like that. I was not counting on my pet brass part being deleted from the track. FFmusic Dj, don't get me wrong, I completely respect your style (you're actually one of the best here...), but I'm sayin', you should have left the brass part in there.

Once I got past the fact that the brass was gone, I started listening more carefully to what was there. Good synth work. Nice beat. Pretty good timing. I actually think that FFmusic Dj techno-ized the piece pretty well.

But I still miss the brass...

• 2 weeks later...

This is some damn smooth use of a good theme put into a style that works with it to create something that is the best of both worlds: a game mix that could stand alone, but is funner to listen to if you also know the base theme. Its gritty backround and smooth syth with a heavy beat and alternation make this a standout from the moment you hit play. Highly recommended

Trance is very popular in the Netherlands, where I live, so I think I can say I've got a pretty good handle on knowing what is good trance, and what is not.

This piece is GOOD.

I never realised how well the Jenova theme would translate into a trance song until I heard this remix... WOW.

The whole spiraling feel to the theme is done SO well in this track, it brings back memories of my first showdown with Jenova and Sephiroth, and how wired and full of adrenaline I felt back then. *sighs*

Thanks so much for sharing, FFmusicDJ.

And keep up the good work!

• 3 months later...

MAN!!! I thaught the jenova trance theme released in winmx was good. this one pretty much proves me right. this track could use more work! I think it needs more of a techno beat and some acustic guitars in the bg...But over all, i believe that this tune is good to mellow out to after a hard days work

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Another song on my "Inspirations" playlist. I really, really enjoy listening to this song, whether playing FF, writing stories, or anything else. The second OC Remix I ever heard, and it greatly increased my fondness for techno. I especially like when the music picks up at 1:33. Anyway, this is a great piece of work. Great work.

• 3 months later...

My favorite remix on here. 7th all time favorite. The reason behind me deciding to struggle with remixing myself. I was never one to put Jenova on my top 10 ff7 list, and this shined right through that. The only song of yours I enjoyed more than this was the 1 minute glimpse that was your "On that day 5 years ago" project I tried to get into a Skyesheart movie back in the day. I'm fairly confident that despite peoples critiques of FFMusic Djs earlier songs, he's responsible for half of the listening population. At least back then, give me that much :)

• 4 weeks later...

Freakin' sweet! Piracha should be proud of himself. He was able to make an evil character's theme become a thing of beauty. I was half asleep when I first heard this, and I swear that I saw a reflection of Jenova in my window. I love a song that can cause me to have vivid hallucinations. Golden.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00726 - Final Fantasy VII "JENOVAD Trance"