Bloody Tears Remix (from Castlevania II)

CVortex

First thing, I'm new here so hello everyone. I made this remix of bloody tears from castlevania II and I'd like to know what you think of it. You can find it at http://did.dmusic.com under the name of "Tears in the Bloody Night". Let me know what you think of it, what you would improve, change and so on. (PS: don't mind the other stuff there on that site)

Good so far overall. The cymbals get a bit overbearing after a while IMO, and if my memory of this source serves me right, I think the parts of the arrangement where you use the source are a little too close to the original, though the new chords you put in definitely help. I think it would help you to vary the notes of primary melody as well, at least in the second and third choruses. You should try and throw more interpretation in there.

Too close to the original? Shut up.

Anyway, this track is lacking quite a bit of depth, both in how it sounds and in the arrangement. You've got some cool ideas going in and out, the arpeggios you've strewn all over the place, do add a nice touch. But, the problem is that you didn't arrange the song well in terms of the pace and progression.

What I mean is the same thing that Dr.Rod was trying to say but labeled it wrong. It's not that it's close to the original, it's that you repeat the same melody and rhythm over and over. It's acceptable to keep the rhythm section the same through the song if you want, but the melody has to change at some point and play something interesting. The thing you have to do to make this song enjoyable is to keep the intro the way it is, then instead of repeating the same section 200 times, play it twice with some slight variation on the melody during the second repetition, and instead of repeating it a third time, add one measure's worth of a transitional wankery. What works well is something like a keyboard solo that transitions into the next section, which SHOULD be a new rhythm based on the origina songs rhythm, which you can solo over or add in your own leads (which again, are based on those of the original song).

A good thing to do is write out your progression, like this:

Intro->original(repeat 1)->transition->new rhythm->original->outro

Aside from the arrangement, the sounds you're using completely fail. The drums are GM sounding and very flat and boring. You need something with life and dynamics, I suggest you go download NS_Kit, it's free and sounds decent. Reverb is good, but only in moderation, this song is swimming in a sea of a flat 7up.

This is just way too faithful to the source. I hear some small additions and changes, new intro/outro, but this comes off mostly like a cover. And the man certainly likes his cymbal crashes...

I dunno, I wouldn't worry about sample quality so much right now when the arrangement needs so much work. Personalize the hell out of this! It's Bloody Tears, one of the most renowned (and most rearranged) Castlevania tunes; you really need to march in and wrestle it into some new form with a far greater deal of personal interpretation.

A guitar solo would definitely help, a change in atmosphere is always good to maintain interest. If heavy metal is your style, throw that in. In fact, do some improv stuff and refine it later, that'll put your personal signature on the piece.

And when I said its too close to the original, I meant exactly that. I think that even if you leave the first melody the same and change the rest, the judges will probably tell you that it starts out like a cover. I agree with SnappleMan about the progression though, it will help to give the piece better direction. I would but the guitar solo between the 2nd and third chorus, but thats your call. Just vary it up all around. It doesnt take much variation to keep it interesting , change up a note here, a chord there. Your stuff sounds good already, you just need to personalize it more.

And like Leah said, Bloody Tears has been mixed quite a bit already....you'll want your mix to stand out from the rest.

• 1 year later...