Converting to mp3?

Squire Cd

I know that if you have iTunes you can convert to mp3. As for doing it normally, im not sure. To answer this first, Do you have iTunes?

As for outside of iTunes, you can also change the type of file on the desktop, although it doesnt always work. As for this method, you click on the name of the file, which is below the actual file, sometimes you have to click on it two times. Then, depending on the file type it is, it will say "whateversong.wav" or .m4a, etc. You delete that part so it says "whateversong.", and then you type in "mp3". Click on the desktop, then it will ask you if you want to make this change, and it will have two options, "change to .mp3" or "keep .m4a", or whatever. Then you would choose "change to mp3". That is the way it works on a Mac, but I think its pretty much the same on a PC. As for doing it in iTunes, you would go under the iTunes bar at the top or bottom depending whether you have a PC or Mac, then you would click "preferences". Then go under "Advanced", it will be split into 3 groups, General, Importing, and Exporting. Then you select "Importing", you then go under "Import Using", which will appear as one of the options under "Importing". You would then select "MP3 Encoder", then press at the bottom, "OK", which will close the menu. Then you right click(or press control and left click for those who use Macs) the song you wish to convert. One of the options will be "Convert Selection to MP3", you would choose this. Then it converts the song/songs you selected to mp3 format, therefore you have your mp3.

As for outside of iTunes, you can also change the type of file on the desktop, although it doesnt always work. As for this method, you click on the name of the file, which is below the actual file, sometimes you have to click on it two times. Then, depending on the file type it is, it will say "whateversong.wav" or .m4a, etc. You delete that part so it says "whateversong.", and then you type in "mp3". Click on the desktop, then it will ask you if you want to make this change, and it will have two options, "change to .mp3" or "keep .m4a", or whatever. Then you would choose "change to mp3". That is the way it works on a Mac, but I think its pretty much the same on a PC.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Absolutely wrong.

Also, refer to this thread plz: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9264

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Absolutely wrong.
Maybe it doesnt work the same or at all on a PC, but I have used this process and know for a fact that it works, but sometimes it can be stupid and not allow you to open the file as a media, but it works quite a bit of the time, but im pretty sure it works on a PC. As for the iTunes way, I can guarantee you that the method for iTunes works on both Mac and PC, the only difference would be how it appears or where.

No, what you've said is simply renaming the file. No converting is taking place. In other words, it's still a WAV or M4A file, but the extension has changed. The actual format of the file remains unchanged, using the method you described. However, since Windows (and most OSes, I beleive) uses file extensions to recognize files, your OS will, incorrectly, report that it is the file it is named as. If you were to compare the internal data though (as in, view it in a HEX editor, or even a media application), then you'd be able to see that, even though the file has been renamed, it remains unchanged. I do this to ZIP files all the time (since sometimes Windows will screw up the recognition of ZIP files as a directory, when what I really wanted was to open it in WinRAR). Once opened, WinRAR correctly reports that it's a ZIP file, even though it has the RAR extension.

Back to the original question, what methods does anyone here recommend I use to convert FLAC files to MP3? Should I simply use Winamp's "out_disk.dll" output plugin? Or, is there a better decoding method? I can fairly easily convert a WAV to MP3, so that's not an issue. I was just wondering if "out_disk" was suitable, as in, no audio loss, or anything...

Anyway, hopefully someone finds this thread useful. So far, I haven't learned a whole lot from it, yet. I hope this changes soon. Mouser X out.

Windows doesn't know how to convert media formats on its own. Although Windows may have said something about converting, what's most likely is that all it managed to do was rename the file and whatever audio player loaded it was smart enough to see a file with .mp3 in the name that contained .m4a contents, and play it back appropriately.

• 2 months later...