Guild Wars 2?

Citris

They're basicly turning it from its Glory into generic MMORPG #154387 with the skin of GuildWars.

Then you're lucky they aren't stopping support for GW1.

So far I like what I'm hearing. One of the main reasons I never got into PvP was because whenever I went into something more serious than the random arenas I'd get my ass handed to me. The Mists sounds like an interesting mechanic.

the biggest new thing is going to be that you can play as different races, like the charr.

and, they're cleaning up the gameplay so that you can do a ton of new stuff, supposedly, maybe including jumping and the like. they're definitely going to be adding a TON of new missions.

EDIT - if they raise the level 20 limit, i'm not playing anymore. how can it be a true corpg if they let you level up to 100 or something ridiculous?

I like the new ideas in GW2 with them doing away with the level caps and adding more persistent world areas.

Still the first GW game felt a bit too dull with the music, the atmosphere and character designs. I wish it's all more customizable and I might buy it if it is.

i don't understand how they'll keep it a competitive online rpg and still make it as intense the whole way through without just having harder and harder dungeons. the whole glory in the original gw was that everything was hard, because you couldn't level up - it was all about how good you were, not how many hours you put into it.

if they kill the level cap, it'll just be a wow clone. the level cap was the only thing that truly kept it based on skill rather than time in the game.

Well, from that article:

What we found was that while players understood and appreciated that, at the end of the day, they still want to level their character. They want an unambiguous tangible marker that displays their progress in the game. We want to give them that, but every system in the game is built around a level 20 character. Raising the cap in the current game breaks every piece of content we have." The new game will have a much higher level cap - and the team is actually playing around with the idea of having no cap at all.

Hate to burst your bubble of faith in the L20 cap though.. Still, I dunno. What he says IS true, and the simple fact that there was a L20 cap alienates players more than it attracts them (even though it probably attracts the more wiser ones who DO believe in the level cap).

Other things I have heard about GW2 in their other press releases is that: No more PvP-Only characters.

Also, the way their thinking of making the Mists system work, or something along these lines, is that, each character's level is 'maxed', or, brought along to the highest level of a player in the mists. Something like the system used in City of Heroes (can't remember the exact term.).

So, I think they'll want to stick to their old adage of "Skill determines victory, not hours invested", but they also want to keep some sort of 'hours-invested' tracker to help promote more GW addicts. You could tell that they wanted to increase the amount of rewards in long-term players with the whole implementation of the 'Titles' system, and for GW2 I think they want to expand it on a LOT more.

Personally I'm glad there'll be a GW2, simply because I had absolutely no idea what other 'Quarterly Campaigns' could offer to the game.

GW was/is a great game, particularly in PVP, which can get very completive. The level 20 cap is fundamental in this success. However, my main complaint about GW is the elitism in PVP that locks out newbs and causal players. For example, in order to get into any good groups you need a rank of 3 at least, but to get rank 3 need to get into a good group in the first place >.<.

I'm also hoping they expand on the PVE by making it less linear and more of a core feature rather than a run up tutorial to the PVP action.

if they ditch the cap, then they're still going to have to implement something similar to it anyways - like, after level 20 you don't get anything but a skill point (same as now) but your levels keep going up.

i think that it'd be nice if pvp wasn't so elitist too, but it's like that in every game that does good pvp.

That would be nice. I don't mind the low cap, but I noticed

I, well, stopped noticing how close I was to my next "level" after I reached 20.

It's rather funny how much of a difference being able to see your level 200 character, even thought they are essentially the same as a level 20, can make in how you feel about said character.