FL noob here...

I have some questions. For the record, the only thing I'm doing with FL right now is loading midis onto it and messing with them (changing soundfonts mostly). Anyway:

-Why don't the little volume and tempo knobs next to the track stay where I put them? They usually revert to their original positions when I stop and play a song again.

-What's the best way to go about setting up percussion from midi in FL? All the drum sounds are on one track in midi, whereas each drum sound seems to need its own track and soundfont in FL. Are there any single soundfonts that are custom-made to fill in completely for midi channel 10?

-Midi tracks still don't make any sound, even though I enabled everything and messed with the midi settings a lot.

1) You're replacing the MIDI with the soundfont. When you open up a MIDI file, all the volumes, tempo, panning are automated via event editor. Most of the time there's not automation they just stay the same through out the entire song.

What you want to do is either cut/copy/paste the notes into a different channel (rather then replacing it), or load the event editor and delete the clip.

2) Load a kick sample, select all the notes the kick drum plays, copy and paste into the kick sample piano roll (make sure the notes are on C5).

Or better yes, screw doing that and make your own drums.

3) Volume control > Midi synth perhaps? Otherwise make sure your settings are proper. Don't just enable everything.

-Why don't the little volume and tempo knobs next to the track stay where I put them? They usually revert to their original positions when I stop and play a song again.

You'll have to right click on each knob, select "edit events" and then go to the "edit-delete all" selection to clear the volume and tempo data. And no, there is really no quick way to do all of them at once.

-What's the best way to go about setting up percussion from midi in FL? All the drum sounds are on one track in midi, whereas each drum sound seems to need its own track and soundfont in FL. Are there any single soundfonts that are custom-made to fill in completely for midi channel 10?

Yes. Do a search for drum soundfonts (perhaps the Ken Ardency kit one) and load it onto the midi out where the drum data is.

-Midi tracks still don't make any sound, even though I enabled everything and messed with the midi settings a lot.

If you assign a soundfont or synth to a Midi out, you should have sound.