Student arrested for creating a game map of his school

Bigfoot

One tragedy happens, and now look how scared the world is. Is it ironic that the student is also Chinese? I've played a CS-S map that mimicked a store, so I guess whoever created that map should be targeted as a terrorist threat and arrested as well.

http://www.fortbendnow.com/news/2847/chinese-community-rallies-behind-student-removed-from-clements-over-pc-game-map

"a hammer was found in the boy’s room, which he used to fix his bed, because it wasn’t in good shape, Chen said. He indicated police seized the hammer as a potential weapon. They decided he was a terroristic threat." ROFL, wow...

Edit: bleh, I hate how we can't edit the title :|

wow...that is really sad. but i can't stop giggling at the terroristic threat" proposed by the hammer.

Haha, yeah, I mean I'm sure they didn't decide he was a terrorist threat as the result of finding the hammer, but having that statement in the article come right after the hammer part makes it sound that way, lol.

I honestly believed people wouldn't be dumb enough to blame ALL asians over the Virginia Tech massacre and would just see him as the lone crazy that he was. But humanity never fails to disappoint. I believe the kid in this story was asian as well (so say the people on Slashdot).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070425essay,1,696682.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=2&cset=true

I honestly believed people wouldn't be dumb enough to blame ALL asians over the Virginia Tech massacre and would just see him as the lone crazy that he was. But humanity never fails to disappoint. I believe the kid in this story was asian as well (so say the people on Slashdot).

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-070425essay,1,696682.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=2&cset=true

Can you copy and paste? I have to log in to see that.

------------------------------------------------

But another thing to think about, doesn't a pretty good and well thought out map take a decent amount of time to complete? People are probably thinking he made this map after the VT shootings, but he has probably been working on this map for weeks or months.

Here it is.

High school senior Allen Lee sat down with his creative writing class on Monday and penned an essay that so disturbed his teacher, school administrators and police that he was charged with disorderly conduct.

"I understand what happened recently at Virginia Tech," said the teen's father, Albert Lee, referring to last week's massacre of 32 students by gunman Seung-Hui Cho. "I understand the situation."

E-mail this story

Printable format

Search archives

RSS

Student essay arrest

This message board is now closed.

A high school senior in the northwest suburbs of Chicago was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct for an essay he wrote in his creative writing class. What do you think of this response? I'm actually more concerned with the spelling ability of this "honor" student than the substance of his essay. Apparently spelling isn't part of teaching English anymore...

Submitted by: Matt

2:59 PM CDT, Apr 27, 2007 OH--and the kid in Arizona? He's charged with INTERNATIONAL TERRORISM because he owns a ski mask (for motorcycle riding & cold-weather camping). INteresting comparison....

Submitted by: Mary

2:56 PM CDT, Apr 27, 2007 Read more comments or post your own

But he added: "I don't see how somebody can get charged by writing in their homework. The teacher asked them to express themselves, and he followed instructions."

Allen Lee, an 18-year-old straight-A student at Cary-Grove High School, was arrested Tuesday near his home and charged with disorderly conduct for an essay police described as violently disturbing but not directed toward any specific person or location.

The youth's father said his son was not suspended or expelled but was forced to attend classes elsewhere for now.

Today, Cary-Grove students rallied behind the arrested teen by organizing a petition drive to let him back in their school. They posted on walls quotes from the English teacher in which she had encouraged students to express their emotions through writing.

"I'm not going to lie. I signed the petition," said senior James Gitzinger. "But I can understand where the administration is coming from. I think I would react the same way if I was a teacher."

Cary Police Chief Ron Delelio said the charge was appropriate even though the essay was not published or posted for public viewing.

Disorderly conduct, which carries a penalty of 30 days in jail and a $1,500 fine, is filed for pranks such as pulling a fire alarm or dialing 911. But it can also apply when someone's writings can disturb an individual, Delelio said.

"The teacher was alarmed and disturbed by the content," he said.

But a civil rights advocate said the teacher's reaction to an essay shouldn't make it a crime.

"One of the elements is that some sort of disorder or disruption is created," said Ed Yohnka, a spokesman for the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois. "When something is done in private—when a paper is handed in to a teacher—there isn't a disruption."

The "key outcomes" this month for the Creative English class was for students to identify and utilize poetic conventions to communicate ideas and emotions. With that in mind, teachers reminded students that if they read something that posed a threat to self or others, the school could take action, said High School District 155 Supt. Jill Hawk.

The English teacher read the essay and reported it to a supervisor and the principal. A round-table discussion with district officials conveyed, with lively debate, and they decided to report it to the police.

"Our staff is very familiar with adolescent behavior. We're very well versed with types of creativity put into writing. We know the standards of adolescent behavior that are acceptable and that there is a range," Hawk said.

"There can certainly be writing that conveys concern for us even though it does not name names location or date," he said.

The charge against Lee comes as schools across the country wrestle with how to react in the wake of the shootings at the Virginia Tech campus at Blacksburg, Va.

Bomb threats at high schools in Schaumburg and Country Club Hills have caused evacuations, and extra police were on duty at a Palos Hills high school this week because of a threatening note found in the bathroom of a McDonald's restaurant a half-mile away.

Experts say the charge against Lee is troubling because it was over an essay that even police say contained no direct threats against anyone at the school. However, Virginia Tech's actions toward Cho came under heavy scrutiny after the killings because of the "disturbing" plays and essays teachers say he had written for classes.

Simmie Baer, an attorney with the Children and Family Justice Center at Northwestern University, called the Cary incident an example of zero-tolerance policies gone awry. Children, she said, are not as sophisticated as adults and often show emotion through writing or pictures, which is what teachers should want because it is a safe outlet.

I was disturbed by a phone call I got from the FBI. I thought I was in some deep shit when the Bureau left me an urgent voicemail.

Every one of those bastards should be thrown in jail.

I mean, as it turns out, I just had to help them with a background check for one of my USAF buddies, but it apparently is not about intent. It's about the fact that they disrupted my class because my cell phone was still set to loud and when I was questioned about why I would ever be listening to my voicemail in the middle of lecture I had to admit that the FBI was calling me.

That and Charles Dickens. I want his ass posthumously fined for writing Great Expectations.

We are a lame society right now.

So much for the first amendment.

I made a Quake map of my middle school way back in the day for a SCHOOL PROJECT. And now kids are getting sent to jail for the same thing. WTF is wrong with people?

If we start to listen to some mustached guy called "Big Brother", run like HELL to Eurasia/Eastasia.

I mean, as it turns out, I just had to help them with a background check for one of my USAF buddies, but it apparently is not about intent. It's about the fact that they disrupted my class because my cell phone was still set to loud and when I was questioned about why I would ever be listening to my voicemail in the middle of lecture I had to admit that the FBI was calling me.

I would've just lied, and said I forgot to cut my phone off or something.