Fallout 3

lazygecko

I am looking forward to this. I need to get back to playing Fallout 2 because that game was huge. I still think one of my favorite parts was visiting a vault that got a huge shipments water chips that were intended for Vault 13 in the first game.

On a similar note, I'm downloading the Van Buren (Old Fallout 3) tech demo right now. Good ole pre-alpha bugginess here I come!

http://www.nma-fallout.com/article.php?id=35970

Here's a video of Black Isle's canceled fallout 3:

Youtube:

HiQuality DL:

http://www.3ddownloads.com/nma-fallout/fo3/misc/vanburentrailer.avi

You can also grab the tech demo here.

That game was still in pre-alpha (or something), but it looks like it had some pretty good potential (Although I haven't played the previous games yet). Who knows what the hell Bethesda will do to the series. Oblivion was cool, for a bit, but it seriously lacks in depth and has some major design flaws.

You know, the music on the site reminds me a lot of Warcraft III/WoW.

I've barely touched Fallout 1...it bothered me how incredibly slow paced it was.

Fallout 2 I'm hoping to get my hands on soon, however. Worth it, I trust? Or is it just like 1?

Wow.Making Fallout 3 Oblivion with guns.

Biggest video game fuck up of the century.

No one really knows what Bethsoft is doing with the sequel (maybe not even Bethsoft yet), which is a stark contrast to how willing Black Isle was to communicate with fans when they were working on Van Buren.

I prefer to remain optimistic, despite the fact there are very few signs to support such an outlook.

• 1 month later...

Here's why I'm excited.

It's a FALLOUT game.

I've only played the first one half-way through, but damn was I addicted at the time. If they just stick to what Fallout is, it'll be good. I need to start the game up again and play full way through. I can always play another game with guns that isn't a shooter (I have nothing against shooters, BTW).

'War. War never changes. The end of the world occured pretty much as we had predicted: too many humans, not enough space or resources to go around. The details are trivial and pointless, the reasons, as always, purely human ones.

The earth was nearly wiped clean of life; a great cleansing, an atomic spark struck by human hands quickly raged out of control. Spears of nuclear fire rained from the skies, continents were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling oceans. Humanity was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the background radiation that blanketed the earth.

A quiet darkness fell across the planet, lasting many years.

Few survived the devastation. Some had been fortunate enough to reach safety, taking shelter in great underground vaults. When the Great Darkness passed, these vaults opened, and their inhabitants emerged, to begin their lives again.

One tribe claims to be descended from one such vault. They hold that their founder and ancestor, one known as The Vault Dweller once saved the world from a Great Evil. According to their legend, this evil arose in the far south, corrupting all it touched, twisting men inside, turning them into beasts. Only through the bravery of this Vault Dweller was the evil destroyed. But, in so doing, he lost many of his friends and suffered greatly; sacrificing much of himself to save the world. Upon returning to the home he had fought so hard to protect, he was cast out. Exiled. In confronting that which they feared, he had become something else in their eyes and no longer thier champion.

Forsaken by his people, he travelled far to the North until he reached the great canyons. There, he founded a small village, Arroyo, where he lived out the rest of his years. And so, protected by the canyon walls, Arroyo has lived in peace for a generation. It is home. Your home.

But the scars of the war have not yet faded.

And the Earth has not forgotten.'

From memory, bitches.

I really hope that it isn't in first person.

Hm. That was my first instinct as well. But seeing how well Bethesda did Elder Scrolls in first-person... I'm on the fence about it. Could be a good change of pace for Fallout. Not sure how the diehard fans would react to that, though. I'd welcome it, though - combat in Fallout 1 and 2 wasn't my favorite. My biggest concern is that they pay the plot the attention it deserves. Being on the East Coast will be very interesting.

EDIT: Apparently, Bethesda said they're going to keep SPECIAL. More points to them, I guess.