Comix recommendations

TheCD1

Im not well versed in the comic universe and my buddy is having a massive sale at his store today (May 5th). Im looking for some recommendations on either zombie (serious/dark humor), sci-fi (future, apocolyptic, cyberpunk, etc...), or anything just insanely awesome in other genres...NO SUPERHEROES PLZ!!! Nothing wrong with 'em, I just am looking for something different. Also, they'd need to be something accessible, meaning not on the 100th issue or freaking hard to find the early stuff sort of thing. I'd appreciate any minutes anyone can spare to give me an opinion. Thanks 8)

Battle Pope is a fun apocalyptic romp featuring the Pope, who's a cigar-chomping, whore-banging midget which God imbues with totally bitchin' guns and muscles. Also, Jesus is his sidekick.

Y: The Last Man may be the best non-superhero comic book you'll ever read. It's a nearly finished 60-issue limited series, and the trade paperbacks will catch you up in time for the epic conclusion.

I'm not sure if Marvel Zombies counts as a superhero book, and I haven't read it, but I only here great things about it. Basically, all the Marvel superheroes have been turned into flesh-eating zombies, yet still retain sentience. The latest series pits them against Ash from Army of Darkness.

I had picked up a few issues of Punisher MAX from a friend some days ago. It's simply the darkest Punisher comic to have ever been print, and you develop such a hatred for the people he goes after that you don't mind him burning people alive or interrogating them with their guts hanging out. Each story arc is six issues long and they do a good job of both introducing and concluding themselves. At least half of the comic will leave you wondering whether The Punisher or the people he's hunting are more fucked up, but by the end you probably won't care.

Everything else I read is either episodic or on issue 600something so you're on your own.

WATCHMEN.

Probably the best graphic novel of all time, and one of my favorite novels period.

Preacher; a close second. That should tell you something.

Sandman is also fantastic, literally and figuratively.

Finally, if you want something extremely realistic but fairly important and outstanding for the medium, check out The Contract With God Trilogy.

Those should get you started.

Pick up Darwyn Cooke's new version of The Spirit. It's simply one of my favorite comics on my pull list right now. Every issue is fun, the art's beautiful, every issue is a laugh, and they're all one issue stories, so you won't need to pick up five or six issues just to complete a story arc.

Edit: Darwyn Cooke's The Spirit is relatively new, it's on it's fifth issue. Plus, an extra sized crossover with Batman, entitled Batman/The Spirit.

The Spirit is more everyman than superhero, he only wears the mask because of tradition these days anyway.

If you can't find, or just like it too much, you can pick up The Best of The Spirit trade paperback, featuring reprints of Will Eisner's The Spirit. Those stories, well for a lack of better words, are the best of The Spirit. Shit. Pick up anything by Will Eisner while you're at it. He was a comics genius. Trilogy With God, Life In New York, ect.

Another recommendation is Transmetropolitan. It's the greatest future shock commentary out there. You'll instantly fall in love with Spider Jerusalem.

Marvel Zombies is superheroes, but it's mostly good dirty zombie fun.

You said no superheroes, but I'm going to recommend some anyway. Start yourself off with Watchmen. It's different than any superheroes you've ever read in the past. It's more of a real world Cold War drama that features superheroes anyway. It's gritty and realistic, and shows the heroes at their worst. There will be plenty of times you will put the book down and just think about what just happened, you won't believe it.

Blue Beetle. This book came out right after Infinite Crisis, and even if you haven't read it, they make it pretty newbie friendly. It's a fun book, with real developed characters. Start yourself off with the trade paperback "Shellshocked," if you can't find the back issues. It collects issues 1-6.

One more recommendation will go out to All Star Superman. It's my favorite version of Supes. Written by Grant Morrison, it's a streamlined version of every version of Superman in one. It's got tons of Silver Age overtones, which was easily Superman's peak. The hardcover recently came out, and I can't tell you enough, pick it up. Grant Morrison can give Alan Moore a run for his money. He's just amazing at what he does.

Edit: Here's a preview of issue 2.

Spirit_20003daa.jpg

Spirit_20004840.jpg

Spirit_200022eb.jpg

I thought this post was gonna be about Bone.

Bone is awesome too.

And if you like Jeff Smith, pick up his new SHAZAM! The Monster Society of Evil comics. So far 3/4 are out. They're pretty much amazing and can make a Captain Marvel fan out of everybody.

The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck by Don Rosa and the hundreds of Scrooge and Donald comics by Carl Barks are much more amazing than you would expect. They should be entertaining for pretty much everyone.

Chris Ware's Acme Novelty Company series is beautiful and depressing. They stretch the limits of the conventions of Comic Books.

Tony Millionaire's Sock Monkey is surreal and charming and occasionally ultra-violent in a cartoonish sort of way.

These are good things.

The list keeps growing, very nice. Also, I don't know if anyone has hit on it yet, but any good space comics out there? Not so much looking for star wars or star trek, although anything amazing in either would be nice, but more original stuff. Thanks guys and gals...if there are any gals...8p

The list keeps growing, very nice. Also, I don't know if anyone has hit on it yet, but any good space comics out there? Not so much looking for star wars or star trek, although anything amazing in either would be nice, but more original stuff. Thanks guys and gals...if there are any gals...8p

Green Lantern Corps. Easy. Start off with the Green Lantern Corps. Recharge miniseries, then go onto the GLC ongoing. It's good stuff.

thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up getting a smattering of the stuff I heard from you guys, as well as some that my buddy recommended, and I have more on order. I'm surprised there wasn't more space-type stuff suggested, but alas...

Johnny I have read actually, I really like it. Invader Zim is also fantastic. A double yahoo for dark humor 8)