PLAY! A Video Game Symphony

chloerin

I am curious who has gone to this concert. I have heard nothing but good things about this concert as well as VGL. Who is going to the San Jose show on May 26, 2007 during the weekend of FanimeCon? I thouhgt Californians would be interested. We have to support VGM concerts or they cannot survive.

San Jose, USA

San Jose Center for the Performing Arts

Saturday, May 26, 2007, 8 pm

LOST ODYSSEY and THE DARKNESS will be a part of this concert.

Tickets to the PLAY! concert in San Jose, CA will be available to the general public starting Saturday, March 31 at 10 am online at www.ticketmaster.com or at Symphony Silicon Valley, 467 South First St. San Jose, CA 95113 or by calling 408 286-2600.

:grin:

too bad the ganimu convention is the same day

god that show will be aweful with all of those otakus there

oh and "We have to support VGM concerts or they cannot survive."

lol ok

nice shil

hahaha yup I would imagine that would pretty much ruin it

Californians don't care. San Joseans don't care.

I'm too busy doing my radio show or going to the beach.

Life's too short to go to a stuffy concert hall instead of the beach.

Maybe if this was part of Free Concerts at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk.

Go, and buy the expensive special VIP uber tickets. There is nothing more thrilling than meeting the guys whose talent you've enjoyed for so many years. Then again, when I went to the concert in Chicago last summer (SleazyC was there too), basically everyone from the VGM community was there - Uematsu, Kondo, Yamaoka, Mitsuda, Koshiro, and many others, so it was extremely important to get those tickets.

All I can say is Akira Yamaoka in snake-skin pants playing a 7-string guitar. How metal is that

Go, and buy the expensive special VIP uber tickets. There is nothing more thrilling than meeting the guys whose talent you've enjoyed for so many years. Then again, when I went to the concert in Chicago last summer (SleazyC was there too), basically everyone from the VGM community was there - Uematsu, Kondo, Yamaoka, Mitsuda, Koshiro, and many others, so it was extremely important to get those tickets.

Or you could just happen to run into them in the airport as they're leaving

;P

That is something...I cannot imagine running into the likes of these people. You must of been like wow this is awesome. I heard for the San Jose show PLAY! has Jeremy Soule attending. I don't know of any other American composer who is better.:)!! In Stockholm they announced that Akira Yamaoka will be at the concert. In SIngapore they announced that Yuzo Koshiro will be on turntables spinning classics, as well as Takenobu Mitsuyoshi. Pretty amazing maybe I will run into these composers some day.

I actually heard some criticism over at the Gamingforce forums, but didn't read much into it. Something about subpar arrangements and false advertising.

They're in Sydney this June, with no special guests to speak of. Bastards.

Are we going? Meetup thing perhaps?

Caught word of the Sydney one a while back. Don't think I'm good to go though. Speaking of special guests, I kinda went to this concert (first post on page) and forgot to tell you guys about it....Well actually, I mentioned it at the end of last year but forgot to bring it up again. I'm still kicking myself for not getting autographs.

Me too, just have to get those friggin' tickets.. are you going on the first or the second?

The second show. I bought my tickets in december, so my seats are in the third row from the stage, in the middle. Not many tickets left for that show though.

I am going this year, here in Stockholm. Going to go see Akira Yamaoka rock with the philharmonics. Woo!

Pix, please! Better yet, video.

Also having attended the concert in Chicago last year, I can only say that the performances were wonderful. Though I do admit that the Nobuo Uematsu pieces were performed verbatim to the arrangements from the Potion/Vocal/Piano/ect. collections (Zelda Medley as well, from the OoT Hyrule Symphony CD), all of the other arrangements were incredibly well excuted.

The Chrono Trigger/Cross medley was marvilous with the addition of the bongo percussion. Kingdom Hearts 2's "Passion (Orchestral Version)" was nothing less than stellar. And, Angela Aki's performances of "Kiss Me Goodbye" (FFXII) and "Eyes on Me" (FFVIII) were so touching that not a single person wasn't moved in the audience.

The most pleasant surprises of the night were the Shenmue opening theme, the Battlefield 1942 medley and, of course, Akira Yamaoka's performance of Silent Hill 2's "Theme of Laura." There were not surprising due to their appearance in the concert but because of their arrangement/performance. Keep in mind that PLAY! is an orchestral concert, so every aspect of the music comes from using the live orchestra and the capabilities that it has. Therefore, when it comes to saying that something was pleasantly surprising, I refer to the flexibility in the musical genre that it is performed as, such as including ethnic, electronic and rock/metal elements in these performances.

The show does not lack in dynamics and the overall energy there is electric. Expect to see pieces change from grandiose to intimate and back again within a few movements. And, above all else, expect to see a really great show. I know I'll never forget it.

Yeah I saw that.. If I can get my hands on some maybe we could say hi or something? I don't know many swedish ocremix freaks :)

Gecko Yamori?

I'll be there at the San Jose concert (and Fanime too), though I haven't bought tickets yet... still trying to organize my friends so we can get seats together.

Really, really hoping they don't sell out before I get mine.

I went to the concert in Vienna, VA last summer. It was... kinda lackluster, to be honest. I really liked the new arrangements, but I guess the orchestra didn't live up to my expectations. It was still well worth the money, though.

I really wish there was a CD coming out for this show, though.