Tempo changes in Reason, workaround?

I know Reason cannot support tempo changes, but there are a few workaround for going immediately from say 100 bpm to 160 bpm (scale events), but that doesn't help any if I want a smooth transition. But has anyone tried importing a midi file with tempo changes in it, perhaps as a way to "trick" Reason into tempo changes? The reason I ask is because I need a speed up in my song, and I don't want to invest a lot of time into Reason if I can't do it.

I know Reason cannot support tempo changes, but there are a few workaround for going immediately from say 100 bpm to 160 bpm (scale events), but that doesn't help any if I want a smooth transition. But has anyone tried importing a midi file with tempo changes in it, perhaps as a way to "trick" Reason into tempo changes? The reason I ask is because I need a speed up in my song, and I don't want to invest a lot of time into Reason if I can't do it.

Bottom line is no, you can't change it. The best way to do it is to work on the song in one tempo and then export the wav file and put it into Audacity and change the tempo there. It's a primative way to solve the issue, but it can work. It's how I did it for my Tetris Attack Mix (found here).

Another option that works VERY well is to have have Ableton Live open and to run Reason as a slave program. You can control the tempo of the track within Live and it changes the tempo to whatever you want it to be in Reason as well. You can automate the tempo as well, meaning that you can have it at 100bpm in the beginning and have it jump or steadiliy increase to 160bpm in the song.

Bottom line, don't give up on Reason just because of a tempo change. It's one of the best music synthesis programs out there!!

You can actually stretch/compress a whole set of notes/sequences by highlighting them and changing tempo in the event editor. This will de-quantize the notes though, so only do it when theres not much more you want to edit in that section.

Sonar and Live both work great as Rewire hosts. If you had live lite that would solve the trick. You can get it for free with basically anything from M-Audio.

As far as doin it in Reason well there is only onw option. You gotta sequence it in. It'd be a pain but hey sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

The best way to do it is to work on the song in one tempo and then export the wav file and put it into Audacity and change the tempo there.

That's a good idea, but I need a speed up, and Audacity doesn't have a speed up/slow down function (or that I'm aware of).

Another option that works VERY well is to have have Ableton Live open and to run Reason as a slave program.

That is another good idea, however, I can't even afford Reason (I have to use my school's full version when it's in session), so I can't afford another $400 program.

Bottom line, don't give up on Reason just because of a tempo change. It's one of the best music synthesis programs out there!!

I don't want to, but the fact it's on version 3 and it hasn't done tempo changes yet is REALLY disappointing. It shouldn't be all that difficult to implement it, as all it would need is a tempo automation mechanism and a getTempo() function of some sort. And since the user can change the tempo as the song is playing, I know Reason should be able to implement a way to automate tempo changes. Reason is quite sweet, but that whole lacking tempo changes is quite a gap.

I don't want to, but the fact it's on version 3 and it hasn't done tempo changes yet is REALLY disappointing. It shouldn't be all that difficult to implement it, as all it would need is a tempo automation mechanism and a getTempo() function of some sort. And since the user can change the tempo as the song is playing, I know Reason should be able to implement a way to automate tempo changes. Reason is quite sweet, but that whole lacking tempo changes is quite a gap.

If your a student you can buy the full version for $199 at academic discount sites. I'm not entirely sure but the coding for tempo automation is not that simple. Hopefully they'll add tempo automation in version 4.0 though.

That's a good idea, but I need a speed up, and Audacity doesn't have a speed up/slow down function (or that I'm aware of).

If you're looking for a gradual increase or decrease in tempo, then no, Audacity doesn't have that function. With some time devoted to it, you could get it to work that way, but it wouldn't be easy. If you're looking for a simple imediate change, Audacity CAN do that with it's Change Speed/Tempo function.

And please understand, the lack of a tempo change capability really shouldn't be the ball buster of a program. Sure, it could be annoying every once and a while, but Reason is one of the most powerful music synth programs on the market. If you're just beginning to use Reason, give it some time.

And please understand, the lack of a tempo change capability really shouldn't be the ball buster of a program. Sure, it could be annoying every once and a while, but Reason is one of the most powerful music synth programs on the market. If you're just beginning to use Reason, give it some time.

Oh, I understand. It's just that with my recent foray into anything besides transcription of video game songs to piano via Finale, lack of tempo change sucks, especially since the song I really want to create has two. But like I said, I have no plan on giving up on Reason. I've used it a bit, and I really like it. I know it's incredibly powerful. Ah well, I guess I'll just have to go through and manually stretch events a little by little to do the speed up. Since I am NOT going to do 8 measures and incrementing every 64th note, it'll give it that "human element" of not being perfect. Hope I don't need any tempo-synched synths though.... Of course, I could create 3 parts of the songs as different files, and then join them through Audacity or something, and all the tempo-syched synths should be ok (except the 2nd part of the speed up, but it shouldn't be that bad).