MEETUP: OCR @ Otakon 2007! - Panel was awesome!

zircon

10:00 on Friday is the time we had last year, and it worked out really well for us. It's at the very beginning of the three-day event, so everyone is pumped and looking for a great way to kick things off. The only real disadvantage is that we won't be able to advertise before the panel itself. But hey, I think it's cool they gave us a big block of time. And yeah, we'd probably be starting more like 10:15 or so; give people a chance to file in.

Correction: We're going on Friday at 10AM to noon, in one of their biggest rooms. Two hours!

Dangit... It looks like I'm going to have to take off from work now if I want to make this.

Come on Wes, you gotta come! Do a hotel split outside of Baltimore, you could probably do it for <$50 a night. Spend spend spend spend spend spend spend :<

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I think any of the hotels/motels along I-95, between BWI airport and Baltimore, are pretty good. They're no more than a 15-20 minute drive from the BCC (except during Friday rush hour, around 8~9AM towards & 3~6PM away). Especially if you go into one with 3 other people, it can be pretty cheap for the entire weekend. KF

Wes did plenty of spending for the VGL thing, and for this to occur so soon, especially after Lodging Plan A fell through, it's understandable to skip. It may be likely that I'd have to handle the booking, soon, and although hotel stay isn't the only factor financially, I'd be glad to help him out if it means he can come. It'd be even better to get the same group we had at D.C. (read: q-pa and his car) so everything can go smoothly.

Speaking of smoothly: if I only realized when they posted the dates for this event that so much'd be contingent on arriving the day before, I would've put in for that Thursday off, too. At least MAGFest accounted for that first day.

So there is a possibility of me being able to stay with one of my best friends, who just recently got a house in Baltimore (I was just at his wedding & dinner earlier today)...but it may not be ready in time. We'll see, but it's not looking so good...

Edit: VGL wasn't as much as I thought it was going to be actually (excepting the lost/stolen pair of glasses), but as usual other factors come into play for me.

It'd be even better to get the same group we had at D.C. (read: q-pa and his car) so everything can go smoothly.

Oh, I see how it is... :wink:

But in all seriousness, I have other plans that weekend and can't make it. :-( Good luck though!

I may try to see if I can go - have to discuss it with the wife before I can say for certain.

Off to confer with the CO, huh? (I wish I had a gif of that particular moment in MGS2.)

Anyway, it would be good to see you there Xaleph. I hope you can make it.

Bah... me going for more than Saturday (and I wouldn't want to pay for the whole event and only be there a day) would involve taking 2 days off from my part-time job, thus doubly stifling my cash flow by not working and spending on trains + a hotel.

Insurance fraud looks damn tempting...

PS: My kingdom for a summer when all the awesome OCR-meetup worthy events occur in a week-long Bonnaroo-like event.

Awesome Xaleph!

Anybody else going to come join the fold? We've got just over a week left til Otakon, so if you haven't decided, make up your mind! It's gonna be a TON of fun! There's plenty to see and do, don't forget about Baltimore Harbour and the Aquarium!

See you there!

I'm still waiting to hear if there's going to be some kind of lunch meetup outside the con that I could go to. If something forms and there's a good amount of time (like an hour or so) of warning beforehand, could someone please text 410-905-0165? I'm out of minutes but have plenty of messages left. I can probably make something on Friday, but Saturday isn't going to be an option for me.