MEETUP: OCR @ Otakon 2007! - Panel was awesome!

zircon

I vote not Hooters and not CPK... we've been to Baltimore several times now and while these worked just fine, we've been to each at least twice. Cheesecake? We should probably do a reservation this time, too... they're always a bit flabbergasted when tons of OCR peeps show up at their door...

Does someone want to enumerate our options and gauge preference? Cheesecake's good but perhaps a bit expensive? There's that whole big food court, but finding seating there for even four people can be ridiculously difficult...

You looking for something that's like a chain restaurant, or just anyplace where you can sit comfortably and have a decent meal? I see a a diner on S. Gay St., though that may be a bit out of the way. It's going to be hard if you have a large bunch of people.

I wouldn't mind walking over to Sabatino's, it's all the way down at the other end of the Harbor though (a few blocks beyond the power plant), and I'm not sure if they're even open lunchtime.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=sabatino%27s+baltimore&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=64.160835,94.570313&ie=UTF8&ei=OymdRpXrIoWArQK61MWqDA&sig2=9mNr8TIFANIZfw_-HsPLoA&cd=1&cid=39286294,-76601809,9455020473244308944&li=lmd&z=14&t=m

The walk is about 4/5 mile from the convention center, and half a mile from the fountain.

What was that restaurant with the awful service last year? :lol: I'm not a restaurant snob, but they couldn't get anything right.

That was the place over by the boats... yeah, we left them a two cent tip...

Oh how witty we are!

We can't really make reservations anywhere because, unfortunately, we have no idea what our numbers will actually be. (Especially since we might get some suprise guests following the panel...) I think it's safe to assume that there will be a wait no matter where we go, but Cheesecake Factory is one good option. Legal Seafoods is great, too, and there might be less of a wait because it isn't quite as popular for big groups.

BTW, Larry, that restaurant was the tapas bar, "La Tasca." UGH! Never going there again. ^_~

It looks like I'm almost certain to be able to make the panel now! I'll likely have a business trip up to Baltimore on Thursday, so I can stick around the city and pick up my badge then, meaning little to no problem getting in by 10AM on Friday.

Now I'm really looking forward to this.

I think it's safe to assume that there will be a wait no matter where we go, but Cheesecake Factory is one good option. Legal Seafoods is great, too, and there might be less of a wait because it isn't quite as popular for big groups.

The only thing is that I think both Cheesecake and Legal Seafoods will seem rather pricey, and I've always seen long waits at Cheesecake (the caveat, though, is that I've never been there around lunchtime, only dinner, so I could be wrong). Of course, I likely won't be going to that first meetup, so... I'm not the best one to take suggestions from {^^}.

Come to think of it... all the restaurants that are large enough that I know of in the Inner Harbor area have already been mentioned; and, of those, Cheesecake probably looks like the best option. Is there really anything else around there (large enough, that is) besides Cheesecake, Legal Seafoods, and CPK? KF

Question:

Anyone coming from Jersey or Philly that wouldn't mind helping Kroze save a bit of cash and letting him ride down with ya?

I'll help with gas totally.

Stupid train is damn expensive especially when I got Comic Con on Tuesday I am flying out to.

I remember eating at the Rusty Scupper last time I was in Baltimore...but I highly doubt you guys will want to go there, simply because of the price of the food there. Doesn't the ESPN Zone there have a restaurant in there (at least, I know the Times Square one does)? It may not be the ideal place, but it's another option

There is a Hard Rock Cafe and a Chipotle in the same building as ESPN Zone.

Also I don't know if I'll make the Panel or the first meet up, since I can't get to Baltimore until Friday. I am not driving and I don't know what time I will arrive. I should be good for meet up 2 though!

Come to think of it, Chipotle could be a good spot to get food relatively fast, and there's also a cool Chinese fast food place next door called The Blue Bamboo! There may not be enough seating inside either of them, but there's an outdoor seating area there if we can stand the weather. Everyone could choose which kind of food they want, and then... assuming the crowds aren't too bad... we could meet outside. Definitely a more affordable option.

If ESPN Zone has a restaurant, you probably have to pay to get inside first anyway. Hard Rock Cafe is next door there, but I think both of those places would be too loud.

So, everything's booked (not well; I'm still no good at it), and I'm about to pack. Now I may have the same luggage issue as before. Tommy and Mike let us keep our stuff in a corner at VGL, but I can't see the Convention Center letting me drag my case in. If Kroze and I can't check into our room and come back for the panel, I'll need a temporary spot.

So, everything's booked (not well; I'm still no good at it), and I'm about to pack. Now I may have the same luggage issue as before. Tommy and Mike let us keep our stuff in a corner at VGL, but I can't see the Convention Center letting me drag my case in. If Kroze and I can't check into our room and come back for the panel, I'll need a temporary spot.

Your best bet would be to find someone that has a car parked nearby... when you first arrive, you can store it w/ our panel gear in back of the "stage". Then after that, you could stow it in someone's car before lunch.

If anyone I know pre-reg'ed and would like me to pick up their ticket/badge tonight, let me know. (If you did not already pre-reg this does NOT apply to you.)

Knowing the long lines on Friday morning, this could mean the difference between you getting inside in time for the OCR panel, or being stuck outside.

I have to know you, and you've gotta be awake at the crack of dawn to be at the Convention Center tomorrow morning. I've gotta be helping set up the 10AM panel, so I don't have time to waste outside all day looking for you. You need to be on point.

Let me know if you'd like this done for you, and PRIVATE MESSAGE me your contact info AND "member ID" number. They send the ID number in your confirmation email. It's NOT the submission number. I need your full name and phone # as well so that I can pick up your badge and call you afterward.

EDIT: After 3PM today, it is too late for you to notify me.

The website states that people picking up pre-reg badges should bring the member ID number and a photo ID to "speed up the process." What does this mean? There's no guarantee I'll be able to get it for you. Please don't COUNT on it and have a plan B.

PLAN TO ARRIVE EARLY just in case. The lines officially open at 8:30AM at the con but I'm sure they will form even earlier. You'll be notified whether or not I was successful by 10pm EST tonight.

CORRECTION

Larry's post above isn't entirely accurate. Anyone who has pre-registered has already paid, so you don't need to bring him money if he's picking up your badge.

However, you DO need to provide him with your registered name and Member ID number through PM - still by 3:00 today!

The website states that people picking up pre-reg badges should bring the number and a photo ID to "speed up the process." What does this mean? There's no guarantee Larry will be able to get it for you. It would awesome, but please don't count on it.

PLAN TO ARRIVE EARLY on Friday just in case; lines open at 8:30 AM but I'm sure they'll form even earlier. We'll let you know if he was successful or not by 10:00 tonight.

CORRECTION

Larry's post above isn't entirely accurate. Anyone who has pre-registered has already paid, so you don't need to bring him money if he's picking up your badge.

However, you DO need to provide him with your registered name and Member ID number through PM - still by 3:00 today!

The website states that people picking up pre-reg badges should bring the number and a photo ID to "speed up the process." What does this mean? There's no guarantee Larry will be able to get it for you. It would awesome, but please don't count on it.

PLAN TO ARRIVE EARLY on Friday just in case; lines open at 8:30 AM but I'm sure they'll form even earlier. We'll let you know if he was successful or not by 10:00 tonight.

You ruined my plan for CASH MONEY, GIRL! I CAST MAGIC MISSILE! :350:

I've got a small favor to ask youse guyz. Not as members of OCR, but as individuals who (probably) heard about this at MAGfest and don't mind helping out:

Otakon is a ridiculously huge event, and if I were going I would break out the Chrono Trigger Novel Project signature sheets to get an assload of signatures. However, I'm not, and I was hoping one of you might be kind enough to sent a few sheets around and get signatures. I imagine you could gain quite a few just by casually mentioning it at the OCR panel, but any other sigs you could get would be totally appreciated. Afterwards you could send them to me, and I'd take it from there. Anyone out there able to help me out?