OCR00727 - Wizards & Warriors "Sweet Plum Aspara"

Disco Dan

Ok... this is... yeah. Ok, really neat.

Nothing really "wrong" with the notation or instrumentation here. Just solid work really. The only thing I might have changed was the attack on the strings. A lot of times they seemed to be behind the beat (maybe the intention, though I can't imagine why), especially the strings with slow attack, and then the staccato (not to be confused with pizzicato) strings seemed to be just a tad behind, which might be fixed by simply moving the notes back a fraction of a step. But anyway, other than that and the fact that it didn't seem loud enough (could be my speakers), this was one solid piece of work. Nice mix of orchestral and electronic elements and to be quite honest, it reminded me of the music from "The Saint" a bit. Anyway, don't miss this one. It's a keeper (like one of those wives that you don't want to cheat on... do those exist?).

DC

Awesome song overall. I especially love the vocal samples used.

I've two gripes. The drum beat sounds extremely random to the point where it hurts the song more than helps it. It just seems very out of place and messy. The part near the end where it changes and gets a little more organized and less hyper is much better.

My other gripe is that the main vocal parts could've been louder and more towards the front. They're a little too quiet and too far in the backround.

Aside from that, awesome tunage.

• 6 months later...

This is one of my favorite game tracks from my childhood. Not Israfel's best my any means, but still pretty darn amazing. My single complaint is that I'd like the melody (strings) to be much louder. The samples are like Israfel's other mixes, top notch and he knows how to use them. The arranging is very creative. The new additions included are so seamless that most probably could not detect all the new things added. My favorite part comes past halfway when the meat of the mix emerges. Sweet genre blending too. It's surprising this hasn't gotten the attention it deserves. Chalk up another great one to Israfel.

• 2 years later...

This is a great song that has stood the test of time, and definitely deserves more attention.

Some have commented on the randomness of the drum beat, but I don't really feel that it's too random. There's some bad drumwork over at 1:08, but that's nothing that removes the greatness of the rest of the track.

I really enjoy the subdued string melody, and the awesome fusion of electronic and romantic music. The arpeggios are great and the comeback to the melody at 2:26 has a determined, march-like feel to it. The interesting textures invoke so many different images - a hero, perhaps, preparing for war, on his march to the battlefield... the place where he experiences his last joy, his ironic place he calls home, before death.

Excellent music that has stood the test of time - it's been three years after its acceptance, and it's still great.

Israfel is definitely one of the most underrated remixers in the scene. He's done some great work here, and has improved dramatically since, but when one can make something like this and still have people enjoy it, it just screams, "Instant classic".

Listen to this!

• 1 year later...

After hearing a lot of old school and cheap midi mixes, the high quality samples in this one are pretty striking. The choir and string sections mesh very well with the drums and oscillating synth, and the only issue has been mentioned, that later on, when the main theme comes in strong, the attack on the strings is a bit weak, and needs a bit more bite.

The choir sounds fantastic, though the attack on them is a bit slow as well. Regardless, a very good mix, and one I recommend.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Reminds me of a bunch of warrior druids on psyching themselves for the hunt. You do not want to be on these guys' bad side.

Deeply dark and darkly sinister; a very good Halloween anthem.

A very good remix, but I wouldn't recommend downloading until late October.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I kinda miss Israfel's works here - often a more abstract way of arranging, and it gets handled remarkably well in addition.

So this project with the Dead Lovers Consort team managed to come out very atmospherically for the most part; takes a while for the source to come in (1;05 is where I sensed the first instance) but when it does it manages to further accentuate the mood that had been established. To me it feels more accessible than some of Israfel's other works, and I say if you're not familiar with his work it should be a good starting point.

Of course it kind of pales now with the thin drum work, but considering this mix was released nearly 10 years ago it actually feels somewhat surprising in regards to craftmanship and musical production. So yes, I dig this; and I really hope Israfel resurfaces soon D:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00727 - Wizards & Warriors "Sweet Plum Aspara"