The Jack Thompson LOL thread

Bigfoot

this has to be the faultiest logic ever. you can string anything together to make that kind of connection with little to no effort.

Guns kill people (or bullets, whatever)

Walmart sells guns

Therefore walmart promotes murder! *gasp!*

No, I would not.

If you buy a game in which the goal is to kill in horrible ways, you have to expect that people are gonna die in horrible ways in the game. Don't want to see people die? Don't buy the game.

It's that simple. No one is forcing someone to play violent video games. Parents are just idiots who fail to do actual parenting by not showing any interest in what their kids are doing. Every game I got as a kid, my parents knew what it was. When I rented games, they would ask me what the game was and would look at me playing, even just for 5 minutes. Even today, when I buy a new game, they like to see it in action (although my parents, in their 50s, have developed a love for video games that was rather surprising at first.)

Jack Thompson should be suing parents who fail to do their jobs as parents. You don't sue car manufacturers for making cars that go faster than 100 kph when some dies due to a car crash at 150kph. You see the person as irresponsible.

How is this relevant to anything I said? I simply said that Manhunt was over the top, or did you feel that you needed to take the tried and true RD stance yet again?

I think Manhunt is over the top, and that's all. I didn't go out and buy it. A friend of mine who was with me at the Blockbuster rented it. I just saw him play it, and while it was interesting for awhile, the shock factor gave out soon later and I never touched it since.

What out of this entire statement did you interpret as "OMG! I want this game to be teh banned?"

Wee, there goes Jack slippin' down that slippery slope!

Too true. He has the same problems as anyone who deals in absolutes - there are no exceptions. I like Evilhead's counter-argument.

Anyway, that GP article is kinda lacking in sources, but I guess that doesn't matter as long as we get to bash JT. :whatevaa: Not that I'm defending him, he's an asshole, it's just that I despise bad reporting almost as much. Almost.

Wendys is a grease pit anyway, and never gets my order right. Serves them right.

But they have Frostys, so that makes up for it.

And Spicy Chicken Sandwiches that are actually somewhat spicy.

Anyway, that GP article is kinda lacking in sources, but I guess that doesn't matter as long as we get to bash JT.

GP doesn't always print their sources, but they make it pretty clear that Jack Thompson himself is one of their best sources for informing them of his actions. He e-mails GP regularly. The possible legal action against Wendy's was probably e-mailed to GP.

What? That statement sounds like a slippery slope too :???:

Hah, I guess I did kind of fall into my own fallacy. But I think I could've made it more clear. Let's rephrase that:

"He has the same problems as anyone who deals in absolutes - they can't allow any exceptions to their rule." Basically, he has to go on a tirade against anything that could possibly be linked to violent video games, since he doesn't believe in an grey area.

He's so bitter that he can't even enjoy "hot eats" and "cool treats"... har har.. Oh, wait... That's Dairy Queen. Yeah, I like Dairy Queen.

Meh, I dunno when I last encountered fast food that was actually spicy...maybe cuz I hardly ever eat fast food...but anyway, not so spicy :-P.

Seems like there's been enough JT threads lately that we may as well make an all-encompassing thread called "Jack Thompson fucks up again," where each week people can post his latest crazy antics.

EDIT: Hmm...Jack Thompson LOL thread...that works. ;-)

• 1 month later...
Thats a first too isn't it?

What do you mean? It's not the first console game to get an AO. I don't think Jack Thompson had anything to do with its rating. San Andreas was temporarily rated AO. That's the only other console game I know of to get that rating. Other AO games are only on the PC to my knowledge.

What do you mean? It's not the first console game to get an AO. I don't think Jack Thompson had anything to do with its rating. San Andreas was temporarily rated AO. That's the only other console game I know of to get that rating. Other AO games are only on the PC to my knowledge.

I thought that it would be the first that was rated AO for consoles, forgot that they changed San Andreas' rating.

http://www.esrb.org

Do a search for AO rating.

I see 23.

PS:

JT3A.gif

JT2A.gif

JT4A.gif

As I said, most AO games are PC or Mac only. Thrill Kill was canceled by EA, but it's found its way onto the net via file sharing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrill_Kill

The only other non PC or Mac game is some sexual game for the cdi. Anyway, it seems that Manhunt is being forced to be toned down:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6172830.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

Wait... this game hasn't even been released and its banned? Or has it been released and I have no knowledge of this?

If it hasn't bee released, I'm impressed. His evil is so vast, that he can block games that haven't even been on the shelf. Bravo.

Hasn't been released yet DL. It'll be out sometime in the beginning of July if im not mistaken.

But damn, the majority of the old people generation is getting on my nerves.. so f***ing out of touch with video games ><

Hasn't been released yet DL. It'll be out sometime in the beginning of July if im not mistaken.

Wrong. Check the post above yours. Sony and Nintendo are refusing to publish the game so long as it remains rated AO, and an appeal would be unlikely to faze the ESRB, so Rockstar will either have to change the game or can it. There's no way it'll be able to keep its original release date (July 10).

This is ridiculous. Seriously, I can't stand censorship. They finally make a game in which you can rip someone's testicles off, and it's getting banned, blocked, and or watered down. Hey, Nintendo and Sony. Man up and let this game be released. Hey ESRB, light yourself on fire and choke on gopher turds.

Edit: This is a really immature post, but I'm a bit angry, so whatever.