The Jack Thompson LOL thread

Bigfoot

fyi all i agree with jack thompson

not exactly to his level but i pretty much hate violence in games and i think that if you really WANT to play a game like manhunt 2 there really is something wrong with you

seriously find a better way to have fun

fyi all i agree with jack thompson

not exactly to his level but i pretty much hate violence in games and i think that if you really WANT to play a game like manhunt 2 there really is something wrong with you

seriously find a better way to have fun

Okay, lets play some more half-ass mini-game comp or go on a picnic with Mary Poppins.

I normally laugh at all of these violent games (especially with RockStar's cheap approach to recycling things for most of their games), but it looks like they had good plans for this game and that it effectively utilizes the abilities of the Wii controller.

Oh well.

i just find it troubling that people actually want to play something like that

and enjoy it

if its in the stores tons of people will buy it

i used to work in a game store and when people wanted to buy gta i would have to tell them all the content

i hated after saying everything having a parent say "i know its ok" and go ahead and buy it for their 10 year old

if the game not being in stores will prevent the masses to get their hands on it than so be it

edit hahahaha i love how your counter argument is lets play some baby game

you cant tell me you have no problem playing what is basically a murder sim

while were at it lets go to japan and play a rape sim

Hey man, no offense really. I agree with you to some degree - The violence is getting a bit old- My real point is that (from what I've heard) is that the game is going to be really cool and stand out amongst Wii games because it actually implements the controls in unique (and very violent) ways. So yeah, I'm just ruffling your feathers while I have the chance.

And for your other comment - I definitely wouldn't want to play a rape game, but I wouldn't mind something like the Dead or Alive on the Wii console.

What's wrong with an AO game that's clearly marked as such?

Bad laws do not fix bad parenting.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Gamers protest when the ESRB doesn't do their job properly, but then when they mark a clearly AO games as such they go apeshit anyway. It's not censorship, people. MS, Sony, and Nintendo don't want AO games on their systems.

Because the public would try and sue them to smithereens if they did allow AO games on their system (hell, people have tried to do it for some M games, even), they have to protect their own asses.

Wrong. Check the post above yours. Sony and Nintendo are refusing to publish the game so long as it remains rated AO, and an appeal would be unlikely to faze the ESRB, so Rockstar will either have to change the game or can it. There's no way it'll be able to keep its original release date (July 10).

Ah, i see. Thanks for the correcton; I was too lazy to check for the intended release date =D

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for reviving this thread, but i found something you guys might enjoy...IF it's real, and not a hoax. Something i found on the Gametrailers forums:

"An official of the Florida Bar proposed late last week that controversial Miami attorney Jack Thompson submit to psychological testing and accept a 91-day suspension of his law license, according to an e-mail GamePolitics received from Thompson himself.

The claim has not been verified by the Florida Bar, which did not respond to our request for comment.

As GP has previously reported, Thompson is currently embroiled in a pair of federal lawsuits against the Bar.

The Bar has moved to hold a disciplinary hearing against Thompson based on several complaints about the anti-game attorney’s professional conduct, including video game cases involving Grand Theft Auto and Bully. A scheduled June 25th hearing was postponed."

The poster claims this information comes from ign.com, but i haven't been able to find it there...

Sorry for reviving this thread, but i found something you guys might enjoy...IF it's real, and not a hoax. Something i found on the Gametrailers forums:

"An official of the Florida Bar proposed late last week that controversial Miami attorney Jack Thompson submit to psychological testing and accept a 91-day suspension of his law license, according to an e-mail GamePolitics received from Thompson himself.

The claim has not been verified by the Florida Bar, which did not respond to our request for comment.

As GP has previously reported, Thompson is currently embroiled in a pair of federal lawsuits against the Bar.

The Bar has moved to hold a disciplinary hearing against Thompson based on several complaints about the anti-game attorney’s professional conduct, including video game cases involving Grand Theft Auto and Bully. A scheduled June 25th hearing was postponed."

The poster claims this information comes from ign.com, but i haven't been able to find it there...

Yeah I saw it on G4's Attack of the Show a while back...I was gonna post about it but, meh...

• 2 months later...

He's at it again, and this time he sent in his son to purchase BioShock at Best Buy. His son is 15, and the cashier didn't card him or anything. As crazy as JT is, Best Buy is at fault here. Isn't it a pretty serious deal if you sell an M rated game to a minor, or does it depend on the state?

But thinking about the situation, Jack Thompson just let his own son purchase an M-rated game... haha That's bad parenting there Jack Thompson.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/09/13/thompson-sends-own-son-on-personal-sting-operation-against-best/

I view Jack Thompson like I would view a chimpanzee with a tazer. Yeah, most of the time it's kind of funny, and sometimes he shocks himself, but one day, that fucking monkey is going to zap you when you aren't looking. When we're all laughing at his jackassery, he'll somehow manage to actually pull off an actual victory, and it will be a bad one. Only be keeping an eye on the lawyer chimp can we prevent that.

Besides, if someone cool-headed and rational took over, that person could get a lot more of the whole "regulate video games 'cause they're dangerous and I don't understand how any of it works" agenda done than Jacko ever could.

We need him to be out there making an ass of himself, so people outside of the situation associate his antics with his agenda. They will see a foolish old man doing foolish things.

Besides, if someone cool-headed and rational took over, that person could get a lot more of the whole "regulate video games 'cause they're dangerous and I don't understand how any of it works" agenda done than Jacko ever could.

Agreed -- the biggest threat he causes is that someone legitimate gets on board. Jack right now is just seen as an idiot...a fresh new face that isn't an obvious ambulance chaser would be much more worrisome.

I view Jack Thompson like I would view a chimpanzee with a tazer. Yeah, most of the time it's kind of funny, and sometimes he shocks himself, but one day, that fucking monkey is going to zap you when you aren't looking. When we're all laughing at his jackassery, he'll somehow manage to actually pull off an actual victory, and it will be a bad one.

Heh....a chimp with a tazer.

That has made my day.

I think he also has a "zOMG!!1!!1oneone!! TEH CHILDRENS!!1!11!!!" banner somewhere. Whenever he brings that out, then all the other sheeple go "oooOOOOOooooo!!!!!1! Teh Childrens!!11!!1!" and will do pretty much anything.

Whatever happened to parenting your children? Oh right, "It Takes A Village" nowadays.

But then again, this is par for the course when you have people like Thompson (or those with equivalent mental capacity) in positions of power/influence/access to TV cameras. If you need more proof, see Mr. Series of Tubes himself.

• 2 weeks later...