OCR00725 - Castlevania III "Ephemeral Evergreen"

Disco Dan

Castlevania III 'Ephemeral Evergreen'

My question would be, who did what? Reading the description first, I thought this might be a live piece, the collaboration of two music students who knew how to plan an assortment of wind and string instruments, but after listening, I see that they are samples. This is incredibly short, and I'm not sure if it's even complete, but it has a satisfying ending, so ... yeah. I really don't know what to say about this one. I'm mainly just writing this so other people can say stuff about it too. And djp forgot or left out the mention of a french horn which seems to have been snuck in the background there if you listen carefully. But still, a good arrangement, and yeah that pan flute transition is kind of strange, but other than that, good work.

DC

I was glad to see some Castlevania 3 that made it to the site. And this is a good mix, although no real variation on the original tune. Some of the instruments were arranged well in parts, but some of the transitions weren't as I would've hoped. In general, it was good, but it would've been nice if it was longer and if the transitions were smoothed out.

Not too bad. It can't touch the Dracula New Classic version of this song, which was done in the same style, but it's nice to finally see a Castlevania III remix on this site.

Couple problems I have though:

- Overuse of pizzicato. There's simply just too much throughout the whole song for my liking, and the samples that were used for it aren't very good.

- As mentioned by others, the transition to the synth panflute thing. It just feels way too forced.

- Also mentioned, too darn short.

It's an okay tune, and being the first CVIII mix on this site gets it some extra points, I guess. But it just falls short of my expectations of a collaboration effort on such a beautiful piece. Hopefully they will spend more time on their next tune.

6.9 / 10

• 2 weeks later...

One word to describe this rework...beautiful.I really enjoyed this track.My only complaint is that its too short,i want more dammit !.A rework like this only helps to underline the greatness that is all of Castlevania's music.These remixers are new into the game on overclocked,but i have my feeling that they've been at this for a while now.I look forward to seeing more from these talented people...keep it up and bring on the castlevania mixes.i give it 8 stars out of a possible 10 on my new and improved scoring system.I had to score them kinda low to bring them up and to go on and make great music thats much longer so we can enjoy it even more.

8*'s out of 10 ''Really nice work "

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

This peice deserves notice as I think it's the only true, complete orchestral Castlevania remix on Overclocked so far. All the other orchestral CV remixes so far have had to rely on elements from other styles to seal the deal and make it listenable. While a good blend of styles is always nice, the orchestral Castlevania mix is a vastly untapped well. Ephemeral Evergreen is the first mix to make a commitment to orchestral instead of just dabbling in it.

It's also the only Castlevania 3 mix. What's up with that? While I don't really need to hear another remix of Begining (with a remix of it in every new CV game and top notch rock remixes on the Minibosses and Dracula Battle albums) there were many good songs in CV3 (Clockwork comes to mind) that deserve coverage and haven't been overdone.

As for the length issue, I don't really mind, it would have become repetative otherwise, but doing a medley of mutliple good CV songs would help next time.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I've been browsing all of my OCRemix folder lately and came across this.

Everything said above is true: pretty and way too short. But I wanted to add something else about it that I think will get it pulled during the next purge: it doesn't actually remix. It's a cover. There are no changes, additions, or elaborations. I'm pretty sure that's a basic tenant of an OCRemix. I know stuff like this has been pulled before.

And don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm campaigning to have remixes pulled, I just feel like if there is going to be this air of guidelines and quality to the site, that old remixes should stand up to new rules, and not simply be grandfathered in.

• 1 year later...

Decent use of samples, though the room sound is nonexistent; it sounds like these were played in a vacuum, and there is little to no velocity used.

The transition to a second repetition of the theme with a new lead instrument was jarringly incomplete, and as previously linked, this basically sounds like a super short copy of the new Dracula arrangement.

It's competent enough to be an enjoyable listen, but when even the source itself is almost twice as long, it should really be rethought.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What the frig was that? This is basically an intro to a mix being passed off as an entire mix. It's comically short.

The biggest shame about it is that I could see where it could be going, and it was exciting indeed. Castlevania music is much more rooted in classical composition than most other videogame music, and this seemed to be leading into a full orchestral elaboration on that. But then it petered out.

The transition into the woodwind is awful, and the potential being wasted here is almost too hard to be in witness of. Really pleasant stuff made sinful through some horrendous oversights and plain laziness. I get the feeling this was intended to be something more than it turned out to be, and what we got was a WIP rushed to completion. Thus, it's a tiny (literally) blip on my radar.

• 2 months later...

Strings, horns, woodwinds... bliss. Even the tempo is gently modulated to match the moment. Except for the glitchy moment at 0:43, this is as smooth as an eagle's flight. And considering how hard it is to beat CV3, this sure feels like a sunny respite/breath of fresh air after Trevor's labors.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00725 - Castlevania III "Ephemeral Evergreen"