OCR00115 - Mega Man 3 "It's Boss Time"

Mega Man 3 'It's Boss Time'

The song starts out and is heavily built on original samples of the Mega Man 3 boss tune, which is closely interrupted by a fairly cool well chosen drum loop that is actually free of any distortion. You can tell at this point that Gux had taken a lot of effort in the mixing and overall mastering of the track. The song continues using the in game sample with a moving picked bass helping the drums along with the groove. A few extra synths are here to add to the main melody. Right panned strings come in during a lighter bridge part which occurs early in the song and then continue to play for the rest of the song, which works well as it adds depth to the track. Even an electric guitar makes an appearance near the end. There is quite a few changes here, although most are built off the same melody, but it really adds to the variety here. A good one by Gux, if not one of his best.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Of all the Megaman tracks on OCR, I enjoyed "It's Boss Time" the most. It's pretty simple compared to the others, but it creates the most vivid images in my mind. The gate closing down in the beginning, the fierce battle that follows, and the inevitable failure at the end. A very appropriate use of Megaman's death sfx. Another great thing is that it's the soundtrack to most all bosses, and can have many different scenerios to be played to. I suppose the main reason for liking this track tremendously is because of the nostalgia it creates*. Even though it isn't an overly unique concept, the arrangement was put together very nicely. Thank you much, Gux! Word.

I also dug "Wily Metal" hardcore.

*by the way, I don't suck. I made the bosses eat it with no sweat; I owned them. No, truly, they were a piece of cheese cake. You doubt me? Aw.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Wow, I'm quite impressed. This remix keeps the heart of the original and adds to it. It has become one of my favorite remixes. I just recently replayed Mega Man 3 (my favorite of the original series) and heard the boss theme. Doing what any smart person would do after enjoying the song, I hopped onto OCRemix to look for the a remix. Gux doesn't disappoint! 8)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Clumsy pretty much said all that there is to be said. Starting off with music and sounds straight from the game, it adds layer after layer onto the original until it is a pretty damn good remix with the heart of the original and the sound of a totally new song. This is definitely one of the top 10-15 remixes on the site as far as I'm concerned, the whole thing just has this atmosphere that makes me keep imagining boss fights from MM3.

I want to play Mega Man 3 now, damn it.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

It doesn't really progress and distinctly feels on the surface like it's a nsf with drums added, but there are subtle synth touches. Drums however are repetitive as hell, and it gets kinda grating. There is a nice B section, but overall sample quality is pretty dated.

If you love MM3, which a lot of people do, this will be some good memories, but as a track, I just can't get into it.

• 4 months later...

this song made me want to run around and punch things (from me this is a compliment). perfect length too. you should make a second version of it that loops. perhapses one that can link up with this one the way they do it in the game. I wonder if it is possible to replace the original song in a modified rom of MM3 with this.

• 1 year later...

Heh, the intro sounds like Bowser's theme from the original Mario Bros!

The drumloop got repetitive quickly, but luckily the rest of the mix was interesting enough (I have no idea how different this is from the source tune.) The bass sample definitely doesn't hold up by today's standards but the chiptune elements are good. It definitely has that boss music feel to it!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Going to have to agree with the other reviews, the drums could use a little more variation, but all in all, this seems like a V.2 take on the MM3 boss theme. Which, honestly, doesn't bother me because I'm always up for hearing "enhanced" mixes. Just could use a little bit more to really stand out. This really needed a little more change over the progression of the mix and shine to make it what it could have been. Still, nice to hear a boss theme other than a Wily boss or MM2 boss theme get mixed.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00115 - Mega Man 3 "It's Boss Time"
  • 7 years later...

I'm not going to lie, if I saw this on the panel today I'd probably reject it for a whole host of reasons.

However, it was a different time back then, and I'm damn glad for it because it's still one of my favorite ReMixes on the site. It rips a lot wholesale from the source, but then pulls the source out to reveal all the cool things in the background that was added the whole time - a great example of subtractive arranging that emphasizes what was added in the first place. Also the song just sounds damn cool the whole time it was doing it, which you gotta give it props for that.

Old OCR is still good OCR, and I'm glad the site does nothing to hide it's roots, especially when the roots are often as good as this.

• 7 months later...