OCR01577 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask "Inverting the Tower Temple"

This isn't my favorite mix out there of zelda stuff, but it's definately a good first mix to get on the site. Everything mentioned in the Judging panel rings true. The repetativeness of the piece doesn't entirely reflect badly, but variation would have been an improvement overall.

Definately a lot of promise to be had. Look forward to hearing more!

A 4 star from me...

I liked the feel of this...and the fact that it's from Majora's Mask, and that has to count for something.

Would've liked more variety, but it's worth a good listen and I look forward to hearing more from this mixer.

Not bad...from the initial production values I was expecting a little more though. The bass is pretty active, but IMO not especially effectively...it seems haphazard rather than driving, and doesn't really gel with the track as a whole--perhaps because it's trying to be too jazzy; see Ziwtra's recent work, particularly "A Dream..." for active basslines that retain their drive--or sculpt the tension very much. It draws a lot of attention to itself, which is actually (unfortunately) effective in this track, since it diminishes focus on the repetitive phrases of melody which have little climactic variation. Drums are okay, crisp and serviceable, but the prominent hihat pattern gives a looped feeling to them shortly into the track. Ending is uninspired.

Overall, this reminds me a lot of the wry, sinister electrojazz/dance music from the Coliseum ("Awakened Soul") in Castlevania: SotN, esp. the welcome change-up at 2:01 and the marimba-like synth thing at 2:33, both of which were highlights for me. I don't think the bass writing is exceptionally impressive, but it's nice to hear something out of the ordinary in a dance track. This source tune is excellent and I think more could have been done with it, but this is enjoyable for what it is. And I do love the slightly ethnic-tinged dance vibe here, which I'm also exploring lately myself.

For a first track this is good stuff. Hoping for more. ;)

I don't think the original song is called Rockvale Temple theme. Wasn't it called Stone Tower Temple theme?

Oh, and FINALLY, there's a Majora's Mask remix. I congratulate GSlicer for being the first one to get one on this site.

http://www.chudahs-corner.com/soundtracks/index.php?catalog=PICA-2006

There wasn't an official soundtrack with English track titles, so they've been translated from the Japanese soundtrack. But ultimately this is the Stone Tower Temple theme.

Out of interest, whatever happened to that other Majora's Mask mix that was on the panel a while ago? I think it was called "Dawn of a New Day" and was in the To Be Posted queue then suddenly it disappeared.

Out of interest, whatever happened to that other Majora's Mask mix that was on the panel a while ago? I think it was called "Dawn of a New Day" and was in the To Be Posted queue then suddenly it disappeared.

I remember that being on there too. It was on the list from about August until sometime in the winter, then it was removed from the list, along with another one that was on the list since August.

I remember that being on there too. It was on the list from about August until sometime in the winter, then it was removed from the list, along with another one that was on the list since August.

Someone sent in a fan arrangement that they found, which is against submissions policy. The guy didn't know who originally made it and there was no practical way to find out who made it.

I don't like to be negative, but when it comes to Zelda mixes I tend to be a little more critical. So I'll just be honest and say I was pretty disappointed by this one...sounds like it could've spent a couple extra weeks in the WIP forum.

It starts out promising, but then it snaps to a very obvious and repetitive percussion loop. The chord progression never changes. It's the same exact thing throughout the entire mix (case in point: listen to the backing strings). And it doesn't even match the melody all that well, adding a general feeling of annoying dissonance throughout the track.

It's not terrible, but I expect more from OCR.

I thought this was okay.....but it really was quite repetitive. The production was on point, it just seemed like had this been worked on just a little more, had there been a little more variety here and there, it could go from mediocre to amazing.

I loved this. The bassline is simply delicious, however I agree with Dhsu about the backing strings. Overall, I think it's a great accomplishment, it just could have been much better with a little more elbow grease and possibly some headlight fluid.

One of the interesting things about being a judge is what happens after voting NO and having a submission still end up passing. It's always nice to chill and listen to something after the fact of voting, no longer having to be analytical about it. With all but a very few exceptions, I end up appreciating the track being a part of OCR regardless. Once it has that "OC ReMix" label on it, it quickly feels like it belongs with the rest. That doesn't mean I question my vote, far from it; it just means the "Judge" mentality isn't in full effect anymore.

I'm definitely still of the "needs better dynamics" crowd, and agreed with the ones who felt some sort of development in the second half would have made this that much stronger. But I'd be a liar if I didn't admit this had me grooving a hell of a lot. [A precious sub of GSlice's [sic] from Jazz Jackrabbit also had me groove-biased in much the same way (I still have it).] I was just thinking, this mix would fit in really well with some of today's fighting game soundtracks. It's got a really nice energy to it that reminds me of a lot of Capcom and Tecmo's stuff. Good stuff.

I want to comment again how I enjoy this arrangement. After listening to it several times it's really grown on me. It feels somehow less repetitive then when I first listened to it.

Just by listening to it a few more times I've found a place in my heart for it and it's made it's way onto my favorites list. It's not the first mix I wasn't thrilled about until I listened to it several times.

Good work.

Firstly, I would like to note that the song that this is reviewing is not the theme of the "Rockvale Temple", but the Stone Tower Temple. Then again, it might be called the Rockvale Temple in Jap. I dunno.

Anyway, really awesome remix; finally glad to see a MM REMIX!! Now all we need is someone to remix Oath to Order and Song of Healing, and the world will be a better place.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, usually I'm the first one to scream "needs more variation", but this tracks actually does work for me, and it does so exceptionally well. Furthermore, being about 3:30min, it isn't long enough to become boring/uninteresting.

About the song itself, it really got me grooving from the very first time I listened to it, particulary from 1:30 and 2:33 on. I'm constantly djp'ing to it, and if that ain't a good sign, I don't know what is.

Excellent song, and I hope to hear more from GSlicer in the (near) future.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01577 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask "Inverting the Tower Temple"