OCR01578 - Streets of Rage 2 "Above Reason"

Waste Water Wipeout is easily one of my most favorite mixes, and though this one doesn't sound much at all like that one, it still has the same style of having a whole lot of fun stuff happening in it.

The only problem here is that it's kinda short. But whatever, this is still awesome stuff.

Bland, uninspired, boring.

Had to force myself to listen through it after the first two listens.

Not what I expected.

Please check your pulse.

This is pure ear candy. Tefnek's mastery of sound manipulation + zircon's refined sense of electronic music songwriting = a blissful combination. You guys and other independent musicians are the true innovators in electronic music--I so rarely hear this level of attention to detail, variation, or sense of "handcraftedness" in commercial electronic music. If only more people were exposed to electronic music with this quality of craftsmanship...

Thanks.

Not what I expected.

Just out of curiosity, what WERE you expecting? If you find stuff like this boring, then what does it take to thrill you?

maybe electronica just ain't your thing, and if not, that's completely fine--but then why bother to listen?

anyway, i'm not throwing a fit or anything, i'm just curious.

Not what I expected.

I agree strongly.

Wait, I was listening to Motavian Battlefield. Sorry, my bad.

Okay, after further review, it appears this mix has a lot of "ph4t b33tz," has a "killer" organ "solo," and overall "kicks" a large amount of "ass."

It's a great track, really--my favorite VG song (from my favorite VGM composer on my favorite VG on my favorite console...). There's lots of fun stuff going on at the end, but something doesn't feel right. I think a lot of the added stuff just got out of hand and buried the soul Yuzo infused the track with. The latter half of the song gets close, but it it just doesn't inspire goosebumps the way the original did.

Metaphorically, a person is a good person. Then they get cyberpunk-esque cyborgish enhancements to their body. They have flashy gears and tools on their arms as well as night vision and whatnot, but the technologically enhanced body does not make them a better person. In some cases (such as the Borg), they aren't even able to call themselves a (good) person anymore.

The original track was brilliant, especially considering Yuzo did it on the Genesis' sound card. The technical stuff here is all nice and fancy, but it drains the track of that something special that the original had. Perhaps you should ask Gecko Yamori for advice on how to get the soul back, as his is the only mix I've ever heard that was able to capture (and improve on) that non-technical dimension of the song.

and I'm not just trying to spread hate here. I luurrrvve tefnek's work and bought zircon's first two albums each within a month of their releases, but while they both excel in the mixing and technical aspects of the song, they took the feel of Sonic 2's Chemical Plant Zone and are trying to apply it to a much more dream-like grandeur that the original song has.

I, too, am reminded of Crystal Method at the beginning of this song.

The ass-kicking finally starts at 0:36. Good song from here on, especially when the original melody becomes more prominent. I dig the piano introduced at 1:42; gives it a nice, oldskool-ish feeling. Wonderful energy from 2:00 on; organ rocks.

However, in my opinion, this remix sounds a little too...how should I say it..."new". As pfs said, Gecko's version captured the atmosphere and style of the original better.

Anyway, this is a nice one, though not as great as the last collab by tefnek and zircon. But that's only because I love the TMNT music more than anything else from that era.

Hate to sound "me too"-ish, but this is pretty awesome. Very listenable.

Just one jibe -- the bit at 2:40-47 at the end with the synth lead, I love it! Why why why only one measure of it? An ending solo with it would have been nice, similar to the one w/ the organ.

Oh well, tight song, nonetheless.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I love listenin to this at work and gettin pumped to stock shelves. The original was great but what people tend to forget is that this is a site where you make your own interpretation of the original and not actually do what the original did so whether this caught the essence of the original doesn't matter because this is how they wanted the remix to sound and it's kickin ass. Good shit guys.

• 2 months later...

Great synth sounds here- I love a well done distorted synth that doesn't sound quite like an electric guitar, but sortof fills the same sonic areas, and this mix really delivers that.

It has the standard Zircon beat that he puts in every song of his. :<

Well, there are some stutters too, which sound very cool, and there are a lot of percussive layers keeping things textured. I love that dropout and then the big ol' chord. Power up, IMO.

The only thing that I really am not feeling on this one is the (lack of an) ending. It is rocking-rocking-rocking-STOPPED.

Great collab, you guys work well together.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01578 - Streets of Rage 2 "Above Reason"