Mario Party 5

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Pikmin

Star Fox Adventures

Tales of Symphonia

Resident Evil

Nintendo DS

Metroid Prime: Hunters

Why don't you support your reasoning for giving these games your respective yes or no votes. To me it justs seems like your listing random crap.

Elite Beat Agents - YES

While it would have been better without all the shitty pop songs, it's a challenging and unique rhythm game that no one else has copied yet. Plus, it's hilarious.

Rez - YES

If there ever was a game that was unique though, it's Rez. The experience can't really be described, but it's a feeling you won't get from ANYTHING else.

Rez gets a YES from me. I only played it once. I went to a friend's place, he wanted me to try it. I started playing, and he went in the living room to watch a move with his girlfriend. I ended up not seeing the move simply because I was sucked in the beauty of the game. Rez is probably the best example of a "perfect" gaming experience where the substance of the game did not detract from the gameplay.

Apparently, I have GOT to find a copy of Rez.

To Thin Crust:

I can't count any of those votes until they include at least a sentence or two (more, if possible) supporting your vote. Sorry, I know that's a long list to go back through, but everyone else had to do it and without reasoning to support your vote, I can't include them in the count. :sad:

Also, to whoever asked a page or two ago, I'll be updating the main post sometime today. I've been doing it weekly.

Taito Legends 2 (PS2)- Now... this game rocks for all the right reasons. Besides having 39 Taito games on a single disc, each game is emulated very well (thought not all are perfect, like the hyper weapon on Metal Black which you can't focus and unfocus at will). Games like Raystorm, Darius Gaiden, G-Darius, Elevator Action Returns, Space Invaders '95, and Metal Black are worth the $19.99 price of admission alone. Add in little seen (but quite fun) games like Arabian Magic, Dungeon Magic, Cleopatra's Fortune, Gun Frontier and others, and the package is made even sweeter. Like all compilations, there are some duds on this one, but the good far outweighs the bad. A Yes for sure.

Whoa, they put RayStorm on there?

Upon further researching, it seems the Xbox version was released in Europe with RayForce and supposedly this version works on the North American Xbox with no modification (No citation on the article, but they acknowledge PAL & NTSC. Can anyone back this up?)

Upon further researching, it seems the Xbox version was released in Europe with RayForce and supposedly this version works on the North American Xbox with no modification (No citation on the article, but they acknowledge PAL & NTSC. Can anyone back this up?)

Get the PC version. It has the same games as the XBox version, it runs just fine on US PCs, and here's the cool part... you can play the games in MAME (with dipswitch settings accessible). The PC version installs ROMs, and these ROMs play in MAME without any problems. All you have to do is zip up each folder, and drop the zip file into MAME's "roms" folder.

I spoke incorrectly earlier: the update to the main post will not occur until tomorrow, right after I post Round Twenty-One.

Also, 200 games and going strong!

***ROUND TWENTY***

Street Fighter Alpha III

Console: Dreamcast

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Capcom

Meta Score: 8.6

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence

Console: Playstation 2

Publisher: Konami

Developer: Kojima Productions

Meta Score: 9.3

We Love Katamari

Publisher: Namco

Developer: Namco

Dead or Alive 3

Console: Xbox

Publisher: Tecmo

Developer: Team NInja

Rallisport Challenge 2

Console: Xbox

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Developer: Digital Illusions

Meta Score: 8.9

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Console: Gamecube

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Intelligent Sys.

Meta Score: 8.8

Trauma Center: Under the Knife

Console: Nintendo DS

Publisher: Atlus Co.

Developer: Atlus Co.

Meta Score: 8.0

Frequency

Publisher: SCEA

Developer: Harmonix Music

Meta Score: 8.4

Megaman ZX

Publisher: Capcom

Developer: Inti

Meta Score: 8.0

Sonic Rush

Publisher: Sega

Developer: Dimps Corporation

Meta Score: 8.3

My votes:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence -- YES

One of the greatest MGS games to date, plus MGS Online and a bunch of other bonus features? Count me in. The fact that the US servers have shut down online play already makes me cry, though. Just the same, the game was a must-have before this special edition.

We Love Katamari --YES

It's got everything Katamari Damacy had and more. This was one of the rare cases when almost everybody wanted a sequel with "more of the same." And we got it. Everyone with a PS2 should own one or both of these games.

Dead or Alive 3 -- NO

Don't get me wrong, I like this one, but if any of the DOA games qualify as must-haves, it's DOA Ultimate. Otherwise, there are plenty of other fighters out there, many of higher quality. If you seek bouncy female fighters, however, look no further.

Frequency -- UNDECIDED

It's darn fun and features a great soundtrack, but I don't know if it's accessible enough for everyone to enjoy. The learning curve is a tad steep, too. I recommend it, but I dunno if it's "must-have" enough. I'll play it more this week and try to decide for sure.

Apparently, I have GOT to find a copy of Rez.

Fuck yeah you do.

Based on my questions from a few pages back (on pg 29 I believe), can we change the title from "must-have" to something that's not so much hyperbole? Something like "OCR's Games to Play Before You Die." That way you don't have to have them, and you don't have to beat them.

I found it rather surprising that Zelda: Wind Waker is on the Majority No list. Besides being one of the funner Zelda games to just pick up and play at a given time, it also has a very attractive style once you get used to it and the gameplay (while somewhat easy) is top notch. In fact, it was such a fun experience to "watch" this game because of its attractive visuals that my mother, who isn't a gamer of any kind, started enjoying watching me play the game so much that we began to play it together as a collaborative experience. If that's not a great game, I don't know what is.

Based on my questions from a few pages back (on pg 29 I believe), can we change the title from "must-have" to something that's not so much hyperbole? Something like "OCR's Games to Play Before You Die." That way you don't have to have them, and you don't have to beat them.

No one will require you to own or beat the games on this list. I assumed this was understood. Perhaps I don't understand the changes you are suggesting?

Either way, revising the thread in such a manner would mark the third (or fourth, I forget) rule revision this thread has seen, and seeing as how we're two hundred games into this process, it's a little late for yet another overhaul.

Street Fighter Alpha III (Dreamcast)- A lot of folks consider "Third Strike" to be the best Street Fighter game out there. But to me, "Alpha 3" holds that honor.

A huge roster of every last fighter up to that point (over thirty), very nice and clean graphics, good animation, good music, endings for everyone, great gameplay balance, lots of fun modes to play the game in... this game's got a lot to it. A solid YES assuredly.

Dead or Alive 3 (XBox)- The third entry in the bouncy DoA series, offers up a lot of what DoA 2 had, but spruced it up with some nicer graphics, bigger and more detailed arenas, more costumes, and a final boss that's hard on the eyes thanks to the blurring effect used during your fight with him (think major drug trip). Of course, the "Ultimate" version of DoA2 came along and out shown its sequel, but DoA3 still packs in the same fighting formula that the series is famous (infamous?) for, and offers up a fun gaming time. While the "Ultimate" DoA2 is really the bright spot of the series, DoA3 is still worth a Borderline YES as it stands in that game's shadow.

Rallisport Challenge 2 (XBox)- Like Rally racing? Like lots of tracks, plenty of cars, gorgeous graphics, good sound effects, nasty courses that can be raced in the day or night, and the challenge of having cars that can be damaged? How about simply liking good racing games? If you answered yes to any of that, then get this game.

Where RSC1 made for a really good Rally game with its graphics, physics, tracks and decent car selecting, RSC2 took everything and upped the ante by a healthy bit. Everything looks just a little nicer, the tracks are great to race on in sun/rain/dark of night/snow, the controls are spot on, your car still takes steady damage as you race (tire wear, body damage, performance loss for impacts, etc), the driver camera is a lot of fun with how it's set up, and the whole game is simply well made. This is a rally game that does a lot of things right, and one of the better rally games out there thanks to its blend of arcade-y and sim traits. A YES without a doubt.

We Love Katamari: YES

Title says it all, people.

DoA3: NO

While the Dead or Alive franchise is known for it's bouncy female fighters, it never has stood as a particularly strong fighting game for me. This can be argued, as I do know the potential the game has, but for me, it's just about the physics, which doesn't warrant a YES.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door: YES

Amazing sense of style and presentation with a great amount of humor to boot. This is not a game to pass up if you like the tied and true elements of an RPG with some substantial "paper" and "Mario" twists to them.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife: YES

Fast paced fun that really lets the DS show off what a good game can do. The game itself isn't really too challenging, but it is an extremely good time to be had.

Frequency: NO

Get your FreQ on! An awesome soundtrack with stupendous gameplay. However, the learning curve is far too steep at higher level play for the general gamer. I still find this game somewhat challenging after playing it for so long, but it is so much fun. It's not a must have for everyone, but if you're into the whole rhythm game genre, this is a perfect game for you along with it's sequel: Amplitude.

Megaman ZX: NO

It was a fun game that stayed the course with the oh so standard Megaman formula. It did add it's own twist to the system of course as all sequels should. Boss battles were not difficult by any means until you decided to get perfect ratings on them, which, counter-intuitively, involved NOT shooting the boss' most susceptible area in order to not damage his core. I'm just saying it got annoying to accidentally hit it just once so you'd have to either restart or just stand there and take it so you could die and try again. Not for anyone who doesn't like Megaman and needs a fix.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 - YES

Any red-blooded SF fan cannot deny how good this installment is. Arguments always arise to which is better, Alpha 3 or Third Strike. While personally I prefer Third Strike that doesn't mean I'm never down for a match or two (or three, four, etc.) of Alpha 3. Not only does it have an all-star cast of SF veterans it has a great soundtrack to duke it out too, nice looking backgrounds and fighters, and of course it has solid gameplay with a few different modes to play in. A great game for anyone's shelf.

We Love Katamari - YES

Ok, so you roll around a highly adhesive ball, collecting junk, food, plantlife, etc. to create stars, it's so very charming, seriously. Straightforward concept and simple control schemes make We Love Katamari accesible to wide range of gamers (and maybe even non-gamers) alike. Be warned, many songs in this game are very infectious and may leave you humming for hours.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - YES

Not much to say here, a simple, delightful RPG with no complicated battle/skill systems that usually turn most off of the genre. Charming story, and hilarious dialogue throughout even make it a pleasure to watch the cutscenes.

"Our play was called the Mystery of the Firey Hat of Social Awareness."