Dream Theater's new album, "Systematic Chaos"

Fishy

Video released by roadrunner yesturday, this is freaking insane stuff. This much be so hard to remember all these time signiture changes and random riffs and solos. I can't wait to grab the tab book and learn this stuff.

I'm guessing this song is the "Dance of Eternity" type song of the album, so don't think the whole thing is gonna be like this.

Possibly the greatest Prog Rock band ever. Yes, The Dark Eternal Night is an awesome song. If you love that, you should also hear Constant Motion. Another awesome song. I'm friended to their MySpace, and I happened to catch the bulletin they put out for the download of Constant Motion, so yeah, it owns.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know. I'm a pretty big Dream Theater fan, but this album lacked polish for me.

01 : In the Presence of Enemies part I. Bunch of riffs thrown together. It's like Overture 1928, except the riffs aren't repeated throughout the album. Also, there are pretty emotion-filled parts, but they lack context and/or continuity so it doesn't really appeal to me.

02 : Forsaken. Extremely kickass. Beautiful first verse, beautiful chorus, KICKASS second verse and a solo that'll make you cry.

03 : Constant Motion. Dream Theater's impersonation of Metallica. It's pretty grating, since it lacks the raw power of Metallica and the lyrics are extremely lame. Stellar drumming at 4:04 almost made up for the rest of the song though.

04 : The Dark Eternal Night. Hmmm sounds like a song title John Petrucci would come up with when he's 6. Oh wait... This song tries hard to be heavy, but ultimately fails. The main riff is too convoluted for proper headbanging and the megaphone vocals are kinda grating. Very creative instrumental part, with jazz and Rudess trademark circus piano, until 5:50 approx where are hell breaks loose and the rest is an uninspired technical massacre.

05 : Repentance. May touch you if you're a recovering alcoholic. Otherwise, no. I heard some people say it was Porcupine Tree influenced. Well maybe, but I feel that Porcupine Tree master this ambient genre much better.

06 : Prophets of War : I don't have much to say here. Pretty good, catchy song, except the rap at 3:50.

07 : The Ministry of Lost Souls : Very catchy and dramatic melody right at the beginning. The progression starting at 1:03 is hauntingly beautiful and the chorus is tear-jerking. There is a pretty long instrumental part starting at 7:28 until 10:09 which felt unecessary and diverted from the main focus of the song. But the ending and the chorus is pretty damn fucking nice. Best song on the album IMHO.

08 : In The Presence of Enemies Part 2 : Pretty much like part I. Bunch of riffs thrown together, some of which are very good. It lacks the direction and focus of A Change of Seasons, or the plain out-of-this-worldness of Dance of Eternity.

All in all a pretty good album. I just feel that this is not their best effort to date. There was a time where each and every song on their album had something to offer, with Images and Words, Awake and Scenes from a Memory. Some other albums had truly great moments, like In the Name of God from Train of Thought or Octavarium and Sacrificed Sons from Octavarium. I don't know... On this one, while Ministry of Lost Souls and Forsaken are pretty good songs, I'm not completely wowed by any of them.

I pre-ordered the special edition...hoping it will come in tomorrow.

The only DT albums I have at the moment are Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Train of Thought, and Octavarium, and while a lot of people have been saying this newest offering lacks polish, I'm keeping my ears open for the good of it all. I'll try to remember to post an opinion when I get it.

Well Six Degrees had some very great moments.

the Glass Prison was very nice for its first half, after that it went to random heavy annoying shit.

The Great Debate was great but debatable.

Blind Faith was awesome

Misunderstood was very nice except for the weird fx with the guitars that completely ruined the song.

Disappear was mandatory.

As for the six degrees things... well Good Night Kiss and Another Crash - reprise were pretty good.

Train of Thought was great in my opinion, I loved Endless Sacrifice, In the Name of God, Stream of Consciousness and, to a certain extent, Honor Thy Father.

But none of those songs are as good as Forsaken and Ministry of Lost Sould, imo.

That kinda annoys me... I ordered the CD with my concert tickets and yet its not here and the CD has been released... whats the point? Ohhhh this CD better be some kinda special edtion damnit!!

Anyways.... somehow the only Dream Theater CD I own is Train of Thought... which was the last tour I seen them on.

THe only song I really liked from train of thought was endless sacrifice, and the only one I liked from 6 degrees was misunderstood.

Octavarium was much better than both of those, IMO, but honestly (and I really hate to say this because it annoys e when others do) I really prefered thier earlier work. Images and words was completely my favorite, followed by Scenes from a memory and Awake.

Even falling into infinity (i can't believe I am about to say this) was more enjoyable to me than the last few albums.

I guess the good news is that none of the albums can possibly be as bad as the very first one.

and lolz @ symphonyX album leak; isn't the album supposed to be out in like a month?

I guess i'll check that out since they have pretty much been batting 1.000 for album releases.

and lolz @ symphonyX album leak; isn't the album supposed to be out in like a month?

I guess i'll check that out since they have pretty much been batting 1.000 for album releases.

This Dream Theater album was leaked on May 2nd I think. More then a month early.

ruckus offers it as a free download for college students, so i was set.

i really think that i liked octavarium the best out of all their albums. besides the fact that sacrificed sons and octavarium are my favorite songs that they do, i thought the album was more cohesive as a whole than any other album they've released.

Gonna pick this album up this weekend I think. If it doesn't grab me, then I can always sell it, but I heard a single track and it sounded pretty good.

Also, I listened to the new Symphony X album and it's pretty awesome, though not as melodic as previous. I am really enjoying the more aggressive sound they have going, makes them sound a lot more like they do when playing live.

I *FINALLY* just got my Special Edition CD in the mail today. Holy crap.

Well I'm happy its a Special Edition since I had to wait longer to receve mine when I ordered it with the concert tickets.

I'm watching the DVD now and it seems pretty cool. I'm enjoying the video and I know I'm not all that far in since its a 90min documentary ... X_X

Cant wait to check the CD itself

Yeah, when I saw them at their special NYC show two weeks ago, rumor was going around that the band was pissed at the leak. I found it especially funny that almost all of the 2000+ people there were familiar with the new album already.

Yeah, when I saw them at their special NYC show two weeks ago, rumor was going around that the band was pissed at the leak. I found it especially funny that almost all of the 2000+ people there were familiar with the new album already.

Thats actually rather sad...

My copy should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I hate to say it, but the newer DT albums haven't seen the inside of my cd player much since their releases. I certainly don't think they are a bad band and I have still bought every one of their releases, but there is just something about the Rudess era of DT that doesn't grab me like the older stuff did.

That said, I have heard good things about this album and look forward to being drawn back into the fanbase.