External sound card that supports Windows Vista?

Hi, i'm looking for an external sound card for my laptop because the onboard one I have just STINKS. So I have 2 questions for you.

1) Are there any well made external sound cards that support Windows Vista?

2) Will I need an external power source for this sound card? (please tell me it can run off laptops power)

a few unrelated questions if anyone knows

3) Are there any sound cards that let you record with an XLR cable?

4) Recording vocals with a Shotgun boom mic, is this a bad idea?

Want to get an Azden SM-2X boom mic for filming, and for vocals for music, hoping it'll work for both.

Man I suck when it comes to technology, thanks for your time!

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7681 for soundcard buying guide.

Will the soundcard support Vista? Check the manufacturer sites. Some do, some don't.. most don't.

Will you need an external power source? Doubtful, the Firewire and USB external interfaces I have seen don't need one.

Plenty of audio interfaces come with XLR connectors. The Presonus Firebox (what I use) for example, the Digidesign Mbox as well.

Vocals w/ a shotgun boom, um, you could do it but a condenser is usually preffered for vocals.

Vocals w/ a shotgun boom, um, you could do it but a condenser is usually preffered for vocals.

Works with two ways:

1) Vocals in terms of outdoor movie recordings and voice over, no special treatment needed

2) If he builds a small box with acoustic mats around it. This boosts the low end and he can use the shotgun for vocals, too. It has a different characteristic (hyper cardioid if I can remember), but it's still a condenser, though a small membrane one.

If we're talking about THIS E-MU0404 USB Device, it has have an XLR port.

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=610&subcategory=611&product=15185

That strange looking mic port is a hybrid one. It can use normal 1/4" jacks and XLR (the triangle shaped port in the middle is for the pins. It also features phantom power, and that does only feature an XLR system.

A XLR->1/4" converter would work too, but personally I don't see a benefit. XLR is only higher quality is we talk about "balanced/unbalanced". Balanced cables have a thrid cable inside, that is then phase inverted later to kill noise. This is especially interesting for very long cables, radiations in the studio environment or on-stage usage. Else unbalanced cables work just as good, but are mainly used for line signals (synths).

Very cool, so the XLR is basically the same sound quality as other mic connections for short lengths, but once the cord gets longer it picks up more interference and the XLR will produce less noise?

Also I was looking at the EMU 0404 that you showed there and didn't see anywhere in the details that it used XLR, but i'll take your word for it.

I did see that it requires a 5v adapter. This wont work for me because I need my laptop to be 100% portable and free from any power sources when i'm recording stuff.

Still no windows vista support on it though. Thanks very much for your time guys.

Very cool, so the XLR is basically the same sound quality as other mic connections for short lengths, but once the cord gets longer it picks up more interference and the XLR will produce less noise?

Well, yes and no. Balanced cables are more common in professional studio environments. You can see whether or not a microhpne (especially the cheap ones) are balanced, if it has 1 or two rings on the plug. As Stereo microphones are expensive and aimed for special use in professional environments, they use XLR right from the start usually and you won't have a problem identifying them. If the plug has 2 black rings, it's a balanced system and the second ring (or the tip) is the signal cord that is then used for phase inversion. If it has one black ring only, it's unbalanced.

In home and semiprofessional studios, also with most synthesizers, it's common that unblanced cables are used due to the fact that they're cheaper, and if the cables aren't that long, noise due to radiation isn't really an issue if setup properly. In large studios and on stage, or with highend microphone equipment, it sure can make the difference and the third cable in the balanced one is some sort of "rescue line" (though not guaranteed).

You can read a bit more about XLR here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XLR

Also I was looking at the EMU 0404 that you showed there and didn't see anywhere in the details that it used XLR, but i'll take your word for it.

These combo-jacks are used for a while now, especially because there're still ton of different connection possibilities out there. Not to mention that this unit can connect guitars directly. Well and most guitar cables and connectors are unbalanced.

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to look at the Edirol UA-25. I haven't tried it on Vista yet, but Edirol released Vista drivers for it a couple months ago. It has two combo jacks for guitar/XLR connections and MIDI in/out. I've been quite happy with it since I got it.