Chicago!

Bahamut

My uncle and family have lived around Chicago for many a year now, and now reside in Elliston, just outside it. That having been said, check out the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (I hear Dan Orbach is the frickin' man-shameless plug.) More seriously, try to catch some Irish music (Chicago and Pittsburgh are pretty much the centers for that particular scene in the US,) if you like architecture than go to Oak Park and take the Frank Lloyd Wright tour, and eat a pizza puff. That's all good stuff.

My uncle and family have lived around Chicago for many a year now, and now reside in Elliston, just outside it. That having been said, check out the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (I hear Dan Orbach is the frickin' man-shameless plug.) More seriously, try to catch some Irish music (Chicago and Pittsburgh are pretty much the centers for that particular scene in the US,) if you like architecture than go to Oak Park and take the Frank Lloyd Wright tour, and eat a pizza puff. That's all good stuff.

...fucking LAME

Second City

House of Blues

Tru (one of our poshest restaurants)

Shop on Michigan avenue

Millennium Park

Metromix any club of your choosing

Now that's an itinerary that won't make you comatose.

Shop on Michigan avenue

Millennium Park

That's just more typical tourist crap.

You want to get a real sense of things, go walk around on foot in one of the neighborhoods like Logan Square, Wicker Park, anywhere on the north side...etc. The el goes through or near almost anywhere that's worth visiting. If you want to see the boring guidebook tourist attractions, then fine, spend some time downtown, do the Mag Mile and all that yawntastic stuff. If you want to see weird quirky cool shit, wander the neighborhoods. Stay away from the far South and West Sides if you're on foot and/or aren't very urban-savvy. The Northside is fairly safe, but proportionally higher income, so there are fewer interesting little POIs and more campuses, boring boutiques etc. Pretty area, though.

And Oak Park is boring, don't bother with that FLW crap unless you're really into architecture.

It's pointless trying to give people tips on how to get a real sense of a city. You really need to have a personal guide who knows it well. If you just want to see all the postcard sites, it's not too hard. I think you'll find your trip more rewarding if you do some exploration on foot through the artsier/more bohemian/etc. neighborhoods.

Have fun, I miss my hometown like crazy.

Yeah, I know what you mean - I'm from around NYC, and a lot of people don't know NYC that well (tourists), so they know little about where the real gems of the city is at. My mom is a bit wary though about me taking a look around Chicago since when she lived there, she remembers there being a lot of quite bad neighborhoods. How is it now? (she lived there ~30 years ago)

I'm afraid that because of my limited time, I may be forced to go to more typical tourist attractions

And holy shit is that Tru restaurant expensive as fuck. I'm a poor grad student, not a wealthy businessman. :sad: