OCR Cribs | 2007

This is called irony.

EDIT: Though to be honest, I just couldn't find an effective way of phrasing it. I'm absolutely enough of a dick to make the joke.

I was personally considering a lone "omg" , but better judgement told me to let it go. Then it told me to tell everyone about my decision to let it go. Then I thought about joking about letting it go but not really letting it go. Then I thought about continuing a joke that should have ended two sentences ago. Then I clicked preview and came to a sad realization. Then I said f*** it and clicked submit.

Yoozer: Something in that pic tells me that you are somewhat very fond of FM-synthesis?

You want to know how fond?

I've played the original DX7 mkI (lower) for 4 years in the school band. After that, the only dealings I had with FM were of the Sega Genesis, and a bit later, with the Yamaha SY-35 (which is a hybrid FM/sample-based unit).

Then I found out about FM7. I've used that for quite a while, but as an extended trial version. Then, I bought it when it was blown out for 99 euros, and almost immediately upgraded to FM8. So. Worth. It. In the meantime I picked up a TX81z - a 4-op in 1U rack and impossible to tackle without editor. Quality sound, though!

Earlier this year we've had a synthesizer forum meeting in the Netherlands. A DX7 was present. I played it, and I fell back in love again - mainly for the keyboard's quality - I just love the way it reacts.

3 weeks ago a buddy of mine gave me a tip about a DX7 he was planning on buying, but since the guy he wanted to pick it up from lived really close to where I am he told me to pick it up for him, and then I could borrow it for a few months until he'd have a good excuse to drive such an end. So, I got it, and my earlier hunch was confirmed - must get this for myself.

I tried the German eBay (most sellers aren't afraid of shipping and there's a way bigger pool of used synths there). It's truly great to bid on a near-mint DX7 and see it stuck at 100 euros for 6 days, then see it jump up to 190 euros in the last 10 minutes. Fucking snipers :D. This wasn't fun and took too long, besides, I'd lose probably anyway.

So, I placed a classified on that forum for a DX7 mkI or II, as long as it was in near-mint condition, I'd be interested.

For 2 weeks, I didn't hear anything. An offer of a DX7s (that's the upgraded version with a small display) for 225 euros turned up, but the owner didn't want to ship. I spotted a DX7-I on another site, but it was too far away so any bargain would be offset by the cost of gas. So yeah, I still had that borrowed one which worked fine (but wasn't completely mint), but I wanted one that would be truly my own.

Then, I found a DX7 that was reasonably close. I chartered my brother Smoke to drive there to pick it up. It wasn't completely mint, but it came with a bunch of cartridges. I returned home; and a message was waiting for me - if I was interested in a DX7IIFD (pretty much the most pimped out version to have), near-mint, second owner. Whoa. I told myself I'd regret it if I didn't pick it up, so I asked Smoke again and we went there to pick it up. So, there I was, with 2 DX7 mkI's and one DX7 mkII.

When I returned, I had another message waiting from me; I inquired earlier if a DX7IID (no floppy) was still taken. I got the message back that the original buyer didn't show up, so now I could've had 4 DX7s.

So, I sold the freshly bought DX7 I to a friend who was all too happy to get one minus the cartridges, and now I still have these, and I've upgraded the borrowed one to have a backlit display. I also have 2 Factory ROM cartridges with 2 x 32 sounds each, 1 RAM cartridge, and 1 very special and rare HYPRA-ROM cartridge with 4 x 2 x 4 (dipswitches) x 32 presets. It's huge and there's an excellent selection on it.

Too bad those don't work on the II.

And still, I'm thinking of picking up a DX7-I in a better condition... the keys just feel that teensy bit nicer than on the II. But I'm definitely going to keep the II - it's a beautiful instrument.

So yeah, you could say I'm pretty fond of FM synthesis.

That sure are a lot of keyboards, would have the room for it, still not as much as the picture I remember from the old cribs thread - DUDE that was loaded.

The old picture (of spring 2006 I think) has the Ion, XP30 and AN1x on it. This one has more, seriously ;). Juno, JX8P, DX7II, and Xboard.

Gone are: ESI-4000 (other room), A4000 (other room). The MPC1000 was sold because I just wasn't using it enough. My 01V (digital) is just below the table where the Ion is put.

And wait a minute... where's your digital mixer? And did you sell some rack stuff?

Yeah, the Q rack and the Digitech Quad and the TX81V have gone, as well as one of the pair of Midex 8s. Cubase SX3 has also gone - I'm using Ableton Live 6 now, and love it.

Added, however, are a Creamware Pro-12 ASB and a JP8080.

The big Mackie 24-4 is going away in favor of a MOTU 828 mkII (Firewire) or an RME Multiface II or a Mackie ONYX mixer with Firewire expansion. Haven't decided about that one, yet. The 01V might be going away - not sure about it - for a smaller box because it's just an ADAT converter now.

The (faulty, at least one of 'm) Tannoy Reveal 6Ds have been replaced with ADAM A7 (love them, love them) and the big Medion 19" have been dumped in favor of Samsung 940BW 19" widescreen TFTs which have a much better image.

The previous room was higher and much better lit by daylight, but this one sounds (slightly) better, and it's quieter too - no neighbours and a very quiet street.

studioyoozhugegm0.th.jpg

i know i this happens every time, but...

*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*

You don't know how MY workspace looked like before I cleaned it up, or the rest of the room (like it still does, were my consoles and games reside, etc).

haha! the Cribs thread: Getting remixers to tidy their messy-ass studios since 2005.

Just a modest setup so far. All I have is a webcam pic which is a little hard to see, so I added some labels.

JWP-Studio.jpg

Nothing real fancy yet. I havent gotten into recording yet, so everything stays computer-side. It's gotten a bit messier in here the last few weeks though heh.

Edit: Oh, and this is why there's a sock hung over the amp.

-Vaylos