OCR Cribs | 2007

Since I can't help but constantly ask questions, here's one for y'all:

I see a lot of pimpin setups, with multiple synths, machines, and other stuff like that. Makes you all look very sk1ll3d, even before I've heard a single note of a single track.

That said, both space and money are issues for me. I have is a real skin-and-bones setup: my MIDI controller (Roland Ax-7 keytar!) plugged into my PC laptop (top of the line two years ago: 2 GB Ram, 3.4 GHz CPU, 100 GB HD) with a 750 GB external for storing whatever the hell I need to store.

If I, in the process of understanding the MIDI-based mixing process, am getting this correctly, most of what's going on today is going on digitally. So, I suppose my question goes something like this: Why the large setups? Why not little more than mine (a better computer, better speakers)? Of course, many of you have guitars, so perhaps recording is an issue as well.

If I, in the process of understanding the MIDI-based mixing process, am getting this correctly, most of what's going on today is going on digitally. So, I suppose my question goes like something like this: Why the large setups? Why not little more than mine (a better computer, better speakers)? Of course, many of you have guitars, so perhaps recording is an issue as well.

Because some synths have a certain character that can't be recreated with software, no matter how good the emulation is. Also, there's still the thing with analog recording vs. working purely digital (especially rock music).

And... some of us started in the days where no software stuff was available (especially some of that awesome freeware material that you can get nowadays), so our only solution was to work on a pure hardware basis, mixed with a PC sequencer maybe.

Not to mention... DON'T underestimate the advantages of hardware devices: switch them on and they work in seconds, you can actually "touch them", you can abuse them as controllers (tweaking knobs, faders, etc) and sometimes, due to their not so flexible architecture, they offer you way more possibilities than click'n play software solutions - because you're "limited" and have to be more creative.

Of course this can all be done within the PC now, but it really depends on what you prefer. I can work with both, I do like both hardware and software. But I used to have so much software synth crap that I recently caved and was like "to hell with it!". It really depends on the production, and how much variety you want to have (1 patch per synth, or 2-3 synths per song with like 3-5 patches each).

Budget is also an issue, true. But nowadays you can stuff for dirt cheap if you're patient and wait for pricedrops, or you don't have a problem using second hand tools.

I mean... why do I want to build a Do-it-yourself midiBox SID? Because the SID chip offer's more than just C64 sounds, it's an analog bass/lead synth and it's something special that not everyone has.

ANYWAY - less talkie, more pictures people. This is a "show us your studio pics" thread, not "what stuff do you use - list" thread.

Yoozer: That's a nice story.

My dad owns a DX7, and I'm a little bit tempted to lend it, learning how to create sounds with it. However, everyone says that it's a hell of work to learn the FM synthesis theory, and as well to use it properly. That's probably why I stick with my subtractive synths (like ms20), though I like the sound of the DX7 (and FM in general) a lot.

Since I can't help but constantly ask questions, here's one for y'all:

[...]

Why the large setups? Why not little more than mine (a better computer, better speakers)? Of course, many of you have guitars, so perhaps recording is an issue as well.

Why not? :)

As Compy already mentioned, not everyone started with software, and dumping all your hardware for software is just a fancy way of robbing yourself of your investment; plus, it took quite a while for software to really take off properly - to become usable and interesting enough.

While it's easier to consider it cheaper - do keep in mind that the DX7 I have has worked for 25 years in a row and it can still be sold for hard cash. Do you know of any software that holds out that long? The road is strewn with older softsynths - Steinberg Model E, TC Works Mercury, Koblo Gamma 9000 et al. - gone and forgotten in only 4 years or so, and the idea that it'll work for a while is a very attractive one.

Plus, you gotta admit, it looks great ;).

It still looks messy even though I've just tidied it up, but meh. I only get the keyboard out like this when I'm actually using it.

studio.JPG

Just in case you were wondering, Keyboard is an M-Audio Prokeys 88sx, Tv/Monitor is a Mirai 32 inch, speakers are Eltax Silverstone 200s.

You shouldn't use Gazzell. I know this is off subject but it's a poor machine. ;D

I thought this would be funny...

sgxstoodio.jpg

I'm messy, but not usually this messy. I'm moving out (job + live at home for a year = $$$$$Income) next week, so I've been really lax about cleaning up after myself since I'm going to have to tear through all this junk anyways.

Yes, I've still got kickass kiddy wallpaper (and YES, that fire truck has wheels in the middle of it for some reason). Kickin it oldschool (elementary school). Also featuring posters from 1998 (MGS and Gran Turismo, biotch).

Dual monitor set up is the bizniss.

Yamaha cs1x isn't actually hooked up right now. M-Audio Axiom 25 is.

Also featuring...candy wrappers and assorted trash!

This is where the magic has happened for the past year. :)

I plan to work to get a super-spiff setup once I move into my new place. Maybe I can show some rad before/after pics.

Okay, here we go.

fusionstudio1.png

Here we gots mah Yamaha PS-2 keyboard (doesn't even have a midi-out), some 1/8th to RCA adapter cables, Sprint bills, briefcase, MicroSD card, and StarCraft.

fusionstudio2.png

Dual-monitors, Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers, RCA HP440 headphones, Eurorack UB802 mixer, and APC Back-UPS XS1200.

fusionstudio3.png

Then we got a $3000 MacBook Pro, billions of cds and dvds, Logitech Racing Wheel, a machine that runs win2k that I got for free from someone who was gonna throw it out, and a network hub. (not a switch, a hub :( ).

What I didn't take a picture of (cause I didn't feel like digging it all out) are my two mic stands and my MXL 990 and 991 condenser mics.

Hey Zoola, it looks like you got 2 separate workstations there. Why's that?

My dad is here with me. He and I are taking a course at the REC recording workshop in Ohio, so we decided to bring our rigs. It's pretty fun having us work together on stuff.

Lets see, a list of equipment:

Dell Latitude D820

Dell Precision M65

CME UF6 controller

Klipsch ProMedia speakers (basically just for kicks)

Some Creative speakers of my dads

My dads Alesis Quadrasynth 6.0

250 gig external drive

Rat nest of cables

• 4 weeks later...