Rumor: Nintendo Power Shutting Down?

Bigfoot

I remember when my Dad got me a subscription to Nintendo Power and it came with Dragon Warrior. It was great. I continued subscribing for about 7 years, then I got into playing guitar and all that jazz.

But I still read my old NP's when I sit on the toilet.

Much love to Nintendo Power. If you go, then you will be missed.

This sucks if true, but won't really effect me now that I have the internet. I had a subscription for it along with Game Informer during my 9 months without it so I could still get game news. Mainly I had the NP subscription since Nintendo notoriously doesn't give news to other people and keeps it for NP.

I've always seen system-centric magazines as being dubious at best, especially when they're "official". The Official Dreamcast Magazine, The Official PlayStation Magazine, The Official XBox Magazine... I've always wondered what the cost was for them to be "official". And Nintendo Power? That one just never sat well with me at all (a Nintendo magazine reviewing Nintendo games, run by Nintendo... 'kay). The reviews in these magazines always had a shadow hanging over them, because you know the game system maker was involved in the process at some point. It made you question how objective the reviews were.

That's not to say all the "unofficial" system-centric magazines were beacons of hope for wayward gamers. The ones that EGM had (Mega Play and Super NES Buyer's Guide) seemed a bit more free, but looking back at their "reviews", I find it hard to believe I stuck with Mega Play up until its run ended (my God... the reviews were so bad). In a way, they weren't any better, as their reviews told you so little. But at least the looming shadow of a given system maker wasn't in the background. They gave their questionable reviews on their own :lol: