OCR00735 - Star Ocean: The Second Story "Rena Lanford of Arlia Village"

orkybash

This mix is just perfect. Nothing more can truly be said about it.

Except that I wish that the percussion was a bit louder. I think that that is what adds alot of the strength to the song, I don't particularly like turning up my speakers to hear it......

But once the volume is turned up, I must say it is beautiful. Completely and utterly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very epic and very grandoise. Perfect for overtures right after let's say, some sentimental scene in a medieval setting, or perhaps some other scene. (You know, the ones where you're flying around gazing at nature with the camera.) Or the kind where it's just the main character venturing into a sacred holy temple or something to that extent. Excellent timings, injects a hell lot of emotion into it. Mystical, intriguing, addictive and as dj pretzel mentioned, the arrangement is perfect. Wonderfully moving piece.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow

This piece is...astounding. I couldnt think of a better word for it, than astounding. The absolutley flawless crescendos of the strings and the counter-melody French Horns as well as the wonderful clarinet solo add up to create a wonderous mixture of greatness. Big props to Dale North for creating such a great SO2 song. VERY highly reccomended.

• 1 month later...

Mere words connect express how beautiful this song is. I love Star Ocean with all my heart, and Rena's theme was very touching to me when I first played Second Story. You take that same theme and raise it to an orchestral level I have yet to see in any remix. Its so beautiful, and so somber, it gave me chills listening to it. And im not embaressed to say I shed a tear or two as well.

An orchestral arrangement like this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but everyone should download this. This is most definently one of the best, if not THE best mix on the site.

Seriously... I didnt know a mix could be this good. I also ask:

Dale, what would you like to eat?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to meet this Dale North and thank this man in person for composing such a remix of an already emotional song. This was always one of my favorite songs on Star Ocean the 2nd Story, along with Shower of Blossoms, and the Final Boss Battle theme and many more as well. This man is an honest to God talent, and should be recognized worldwide. Powerful song, and even more emotionally moving than the original. I say this deserves an encore!

Flik, if you know Dale in real life then you're lucky, I sincerely think he should package his remakes onto a CD or something, perhaps do some remaking of more Star Ocean the 2nd Story songs, if he's not done "Shower of Blossoms" (Cross and Lacour town theme) yet, he should do so. I can imagine what it'd sound like, what with the fantastic job that he did with Rena Lanford of Arlia Village. I mean shoot, he made an already amazing song sound even more amazing. I'd like to see what else he could do with the electric guitar too, as there are a ton of Star Ocean Till the End of Time songs that scream "remake" all over them. **laughs** Anyway, lemme know if he's got any more remakes planned. Best of wishes.

Let me reiterate how amazingly awesome Dale is. I met him recently and he is probably one of the nicest people I have met in a long time. Coincidentally, we discussed this mix for a short time and I expressed my love for it. It truly is one of the best remixes out there today, and it really does convey the emotions of the game.

What less can one expect from Dale North?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is far from forgotten. I loved the original song very dearly. I'm dead serious too, as the original can be found on close to 5 of my 7 CD library of burned CD's. I wasn't really optomistic when I downloaded this new one because I didn't see how it could've been improved upon. Man was I wrong. The lightly introduced clarinet hits the mood perfectly. The orchestral swells... my god the swells... they bring tears to my eyes. I want to cry from happiness and amazement at the amount of feeling that can be felt in this song. I just... i can't go on. This song is beautiful beyond compare. 11/10.

I was utterly amazed when I heard this peace. I am a huge lover of Star Ocean, mainly the Second Story. It gives me great joy to hear Rena's theme in all it's wonderful glory. This is done so beautifully, I litteraly got intense chills listening to it, as many other listeners did. The piano in the middle was especially captivating. This song took me into the skies and brought me down again when it ended. Excellent work, Dale...

• 2 weeks later...

my god.. i simply agree with you all.

The story of the game is just so emotional.. it made me feel happy and sad and surprised and much more.. SO OFTEN.. and it contains soooo cute characters.

actually im pissed off because square-enix doesnt mention star ocean 2 on their homepage or i just couldnt found it...

well... maybe back to this song?

@theowne: youre right. how can something like this happen? almost 2 years long no further comment on this MASTERPIECE!

you really have to play this game to the end and then listen to this song again. if you can connect this song with the storyline, it seems just more emotional.. AND -HELL(maybe heaven in this case)- SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL!

:cry::cry::cry:

but, of course, this song is still a masterpiece if u didnt play the game...

(hope i didnt tooo many mistakes... because english isnt my "mother-language" and im not the best at speaking english..)

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

As far as mixes that captivate and actually cause you to feel the emotion and the imagery of the piece, this has to be one of the most effective on the entire site. Motoi's original composition has a lot to do with it, of course. It's an emotionally manipulative melody, to be sure. But Dale's arrangment and production really nets the goods and brings it straight to you.

The quiet, more fragile troughs throughout the song are nice; the clarinet and the strings are excellent choices to build to the big, sweeping moments. I like that this is never bombastic or never too much going on behind the sounds, which can ruin orchestral pieces that are meant to have a quaint feeling to them. The feeling to this remains powerful but contained; we get that the sadness is personal and interior.

Incredibly orchestral work, it really does sound like it could be part of a professional modern soundtrack. Great to reflect to.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00735 - Star Ocean: The Second Story "Rena Lanford of Arlia Village"