Minutes to Midnight

Shadow Wolf

Right, I know we're all edgy and nonconformist and shit here, but it's Linkin park. Nuff said for me at least. What do you think of this new hotness?

It's REALLY different for LP. REALLY. I like it quite a bit. They've really gone off and explored entire new Genres. There's stuff on here that sounds almost like Coldplay. Craziness. I don't like it as much as Meteora, but in a lot of ways, I don't think you can compare them. They're too different.

Thoughts?

OMG, Linkin Park on top of General??

LAM0RS!! LINKN PRK IS TEH SHALW CR4P!!

But in all seriousness I hear they've taken a new direction here, but that one single I've heard on the radio doesn't sound too different from their older stuff. Probably just the record company playing it safe; I'll have to grab the 30-second samples from iTunes in order to really judge the album ;-)

Heh, maybe it'll broaden my brother's horizons; he's been a big fan of them...

There's some shades of politics in some of the songs, but I don't think the album is a sellout by any means. In fact, I've become fairly certain that sellout is just another word for "Help, they decided not to release the same old shit for the fourth time and I'm gonna WHINE about it as loud as I can!"

If you're not convinced this is a new direction for them, listen to Shadow of the Day and Hands Held High. Shadow of the Day especially is a totally new sound for them. But you're right, q-pa. What I've done is probably the closest sounding to their other stuff on the whole album. Kind of the wrong single to sell a new direction with.

But I can say I've listened to the whole thing and there wasn't a song I didn't like, which is fairly impressive considering I usually hate any music with vocals in it. But Linkin Park's vocals have quite a lot of intelligence to them.

EDIT: Surprisingly, only a couple songs on the album were really emo. I was quite amazed.

Linkin Park's distinct and original sound is what has made them as a band. By suddenly shifting their music styles really does make me scratch my head. I blame that Rick Rubin, who part-produced the album and to me, is simply too old to understand the cross-genre that Linkin Park has shown to us. They are Linkin Park, NOT the Red Hot Chilli Peppers! What happened to their rivetting basslines and powerful synths? The turntablism has completely gone! I'm not convinced of their bold but brave move btw, I'll just get back to listening to Meteora, while the rest can just rant at me...

I listened to a prerelease preview of the album where they interviewed the band, and they made it VERY clear that they were the ones that wanted to change it up, and they specifically made the point that Rick Rubin let them have complete creative control over the album. They said they wanted to prove they weren't confined to a single genre, even if they invented the genre they were confined to. So, better or worse, it was their decision.

Since when has Linkin Park's lyrics have intelligence to them?

I can't say I know anything about the new album from my own observations, but one of my friends despises the album since it's basically shitting on the fans they made their music on (paraphrased).

Edit: A band might say so-and-so, but that doesn't make it the truth. It could be the record label making huge pressures to cause this change, which has been known to happen behind the scenes.

[opinion] I respect their musical abilities. Whether or not their lyrics are intelligent is a matter of personal taste, but more than any hip-hop artist I've ever heard, Linkin Park knows exactly what they're trying to say with a song, and they say it clearly and concisely, however loud they might yell. [/opinion]

[opinion] I respect their musical abilities. Whether or not their lyrics are intelligent is a matter of personal taste, but more than any hip-hop artist I've ever heard, Linkin Park knows exactly what they're trying to say with a song, and they say it clearly and concisely, however loud they might yell. [/opinion]

That doesn't equate with intelligence though. I respect their musical abilities more than most mainstream bands as well, despite my strong dislike for them (especially lyrically), but intelligent lyrics should have a strong principle associated with them (i.e. Iron Maiden - The Trooper), or deal with intricate subjects in a sufficiently deep way (i.e. some Kate Bush).

Linkin Park knows exactly what they're trying to say with a song

k

"shut up when im talking to you"

totally appropriate especially for their target audience ie tweens and younger teenagers

"you are driving me one step closer to the edge and im about to break"

ok ya like they like they fucking know pain

linkin park goes and glorifies pain and negative emotions and makes it sound 'cool'

people who have actually lived with pain and stuff that would cause them to go insane know that pain fucking sucks and should be something to avoid and they hate linkin park

try growing up with a fucked up life then listen to those fuckers

seriously

That doesn't equate with intelligence though. I respect their musical abilities more than most mainstream bands as well, despite my strong dislike for them (especially lyrically), but intelligent lyrics should have a strong principle associated with them (i.e. Iron Maiden - The Trooper), or deal with intricate subjects in a sufficiently deep way (i.e. some Kate Bush).

OK, point taken. Fair enough.

Arek - I'm not saying negative emotions are a good thing, but I do appreciate their honesty. Also, don't make general statements. My 9 month old niece drowned in her bathtub 6 months ago, that doesn't mean Linkin Park sucks.

kek

ok

No offense meant at all, but that is an "event" that happened. It isn't something you live with constantly and daily. I am really sorry for your loss, but it isn't something that you can compare to someone who was beaten daily, mentally abused daily, and had to basically feed himself and do everything by himself because both his parents were drunk on the floor collapsed from drinking too much. And this is just a small example of the many things actual people who go through this shit goes through.

Believe me, they aren't honest in their lyrics. If they were, they would try to promote ways to avoid that kind of shit instead of singing about how they "think" it is.

Yeah, I have a 34 pallie on Stormreaver. I loled because 'kek' is what I always hear right before I get ganked. But at any rate, if you hate Linkin Park, nothin' I'm gonna say will change that, and you're sure as hell entitled to your opinion. Unless you live in Canada, where you must love hockey and weird shaped bacon or the mounties will come and take you away.

I am a long time Linkin Park fan. Hybrid Theory is one of the best albums I have ever heard and I still listen to it frequently 7 years after it's release.

All of their albums have been amazing but this album has put me in the middle of whether I like them or not. I think it is great that they tried to stray away from Nu Metal and attempt a different genre, but they just did not do it right. There are only 3 tracks on the album that I like; Wake, What I've Done, and The Little Things Give You Away. The rest of the album is just not working out for them. I feel like they tried to experiment too much and they got lost along the way. The worst part is that they said they spent the most time on this album and they said it was their best album yet.

For some reason, when I first heard the album, I immediately thought Radiohead. Radiohead managed to pull off the calm, electronic sound really well though. I am just reminded of how Radiohead's "The Bends" album was and then how "Kid A" was, almost completely different.

The lyrical content is basically the same as the last two albums except with some political spin (Which I don't like). The lack of Shinoda rapping is probably what did this album in. The reason Linkin Park was unique in the first place was because of the perfect balance of Chester and Mike Shinoda and some of the shit Mr. Hahn does.

I would say to not buy the album, but "The Little Things Give You Away" is basically worth the money. The song is very different from the entire album itself, which was different from their roots to begin with. The song is more prog rockish and has some very odd chord changes. Very hooky.

I dunno, between Tool's newest album and this album, I am beginning to lose faith in the few good bands that are left.

k

"shut up when im talking to you"

totally appropriate especially for their target audience ie tweens and younger teenagers

"you are driving me one step closer to the edge and im about to break"

ok ya like they like they fucking know pain

Those quotes are from their first album. They were younger then. If you listen to the new album you can tell they have grown up and they put more thought into the lyrics of the songs.

I am a big LP fan. I got my copy of Minuets to Midnight yesterday because I pre-ordered it from their website. I got the CD/DVD copy and there is a video of them making the new album. They wanted to try something completely new because their other stuff was getting too easy for them and others to copy. I think this new album is good. It isn't their best work but it isn't crap either. The only song that I don't like too much is "Valentine's Day".

I don't know why you people hate emo. It was a big debate when Spider-Man 3 came out and now your calling LP emo. What is wrong with emo? Well I guess that is another topic or another day.

Personally, I don't think LP's lyrics haven't matured too much concerning the song What I've Done. You think they'd be lamenting over their mistakes and going into some depth about them, but instead they just ends up singing, "what I've done" or "what I've become" over and over again.