Gating in Reason

This might be a fairly common question with an easy response, but I'd like to throw it out there at least and see what your method of gating or what you think the best way would be.

I've read around a bit that programming a Matrix to the volume control is a way to do it.

Anyone else have a way of doing it or is using a Matrix just flat out really the best way?

I tend to use anything and everything for CV signals but I'll go with the most unusual one that I think most people might not know about.

The 'Auto CV Output' on the back of the Scream4...:350:

It creates a unipolar CV from the loudness of the incoming audio signal. So take a kick or whatever you want with automated delay feedback and run it into a Scream4. Or you could have the CV Out from the Scream4 automate the feedback. Also you can choose wether or not to invert the CV signal in the spider. I then patch the signal into the 'amp' on any of the plugins.

so gating is just like.. where the volume goes up and down really fast right?

if thats what you want, here is another thing you can do.

Make a subtractor that isnt connected to anything. Go to the cables, take the output of LFO1(cv cable) and stick it on to the Volume CV input of whatever you want to gate. (The volume cv input on the mixer that the instrument is connected to).

Now just play around with the lfo 1 on the subtractor and that will effect the volume of that instrument.

Avaris, your way certainly is a more.. unique way.. heh.

And yeah, gating is, for instance, when you have a long sustained note playing, but the volume goes from 80% to 0% and stutters really fast and sometimes in patterns.

Putting notes on a piano roll of your "CV source" (sub or mal) can really add some uniqueness to the gating, but it's a lot more effort since the gating of volume usually stutters pretty fast ("THAT'S A LOTTA NOTES!"/KungPow). I guess that'd be good for just one or two unique areas in a song. The rest of the time it could be pattern based in a Matrix.

Likewise with the subtractor, using a Malstrom's osc 1 (and maybe even osc2 at the same time) could make some neat patterns.. But then again that's a lot of tweaking to get the waveforms to match right.

I've yet to really dig in to gating.. I've only done the basic Matrix thing.. so the tips here will help me out. :-D

• 1 month later...

If you want to pattern gate long chords or a series of sustained notes (a trancey gate for example) there are several ways to do it, but what I do most of the time is to use a matrix sequencer, lay down my gate sequence, and connect the gate cv output to the volume cv input of the machine with the notes I want to gate.

Another way to do it, with more insteresting results, is to use a machine with its filter type set to lowpass(any type), then take out a matrix sequencer, lay down your gate pattern in the curve editor, and connect the curve cv to the filter cv input of the machine. This works better when you lower the frequency knob in the machine. You can also try adding a bit of resonance, or trying with a bipolar type of curve sequence.

Gating is fun.