OCR00736 - Super Mario Bros. 3 "Staff Battle"

orkybash

Super Mario Bros. 3 'Staff Battle'

Very... funky. And cool, but I do have one gripe with it. The whole thing got pretty repetitive, since the bassline didn't change much. Nor did the drums. But there was obviously a lot of effort put into making this interesting even with such repetitive elements, so the end result isn't very boring at all. I really liked it overall.

Staff Battle has a good compilation of instruments and Nintendo synth styles. The bass line is awesome and the number of claps, snares and hats used is interesting. The only thing I'm not too keen about is the volume of that "Kiddie" snare (that's what the hip-hoppers call it).

Yes, it's also repetive but really hip-hop has allot of repetitive tracks. Just listen to the 13 minute version of Rapper's Delight by The Sugar Hill Gang.

Actually, "Rapper's Delight" in it's full glory is around 14:30 though on my 12" version, the printing on the inset says 15 even. Anyway...

I realize there is some rhythmic value to this song. I won't dispute that, and the idea is rather unique if not down-right weird, since it took me a while to figure out which theme this was a remix of. However, I will say... that square/triangle wav sound that comes in at :31 is off. Well... no. at :31 it's fine, but at :41 when it does the second part of its riff, it's... sadly out of tune. It maketh me to wince. And every time it repeats that section (:56, 1:13, 2:13) it's just as out of tune. And actually, after relistening to it, the part at :31 (and all of its repetitions) is also out of tune, just not as noticeably so.

Imagine for a moment, you're sailing along in a sailboat, smoothly, quickly, with little to no friction, the wind at your back, and all of a sudden, the bottom of the boat scrapes along a long stretch of steel that's somehow submerged just below the surface and makes this terrible screeching scraping noise as the boat grinds over it, and then after a few seconds, returns to its smooth sailing again. That's what this piece felt like for me. Nice idea, nice instrumentation, but I'd ask that next time, he get someone who isn't tone deaf to take a listen before submitting...

DC

Hey I really liked that... but I agree it did seem to go out of key in the second part of it... But I think it was really cool, I really liked the beat and the square wave thing, however, the bass line needs a little more definition in order for people not to think its out of key. But over all... cool idea, I liked it a lot!!

Not terrible, just needed a little more variety. I understand where this comes from, like picking the theme from original Mario Bros. It's a nice treat for us who had these strange mute paks that were silent in the beginning. Overall, different. At least it attempted for form and ended, unlike a few other mixes. Mediocre.

• 8 months later...

While this a grooving little piece, it lacks polish. The off-key main synth, which seems like it's only off-key when it hits that first note, just kills it for me. I mean, it's like *BOOP* *boodeboodeboo etc.* and that first boop just makes me wince. How hard is it to get it right? Anyway, volume levels are also a little wonky, as the drums eat everything else (yes I know it's hip-hop but let's be reasonable) and you can barely hear the synth that comes in at 1:22. If the main synth wasn't so off I would just be nit-picking and could love this piece. As is though, it makes me cry.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

No one gives Selecta Novel credit! All his remixes are very unique, and I like basically all of them (most are from vgmix). They are most in the style of music where one would expect rap, or music that is heard in a ghetto (a cool ghetto, yeah I make no sense). And yet they're all pleasing. Must be the Video-game Effect. No actually it's that drum programming. His beats are all immensely enjoyable, each song. He needs to submit more stuff!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Okay, so now for something completely different. I don't hate this ReMix. I actually kinda dig the "pac-man low-fi arcade hip-hopish" thing it's got going on. It's weird to describe. It's not annoying, or bad, I just......meh, you know? It's got a good beat, and other than the repetitiveness of this, I just simply don't hate it. Like I said, hard to describe. I think this classifies as the "may grow on me more one day but for now it's just okay" side for me.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00736 - Super Mario Bros. 3 "Staff Battle"