OCR00050 - Space Harrier II "GET READY"

Space Harrier II 'GET READY'

This is kind of old school djp meets new school djp. Old school because of the warping, flanging and bending filters that he loves to use. New school because it just sounds better. I really like what he has done with the basic beat here. I don't care much for the melody on top of that because of the warping, flanging and bending filters (they sound bad to me) nor the voice samples from the game. But for me the underlying beat makes it quite listenable. Maybe I am spoiled by Sega's own arrangement of this tune. Interesting ending, though!

• 4 months later...

This is a pretty good tune. A very electronic set of instruments, with a good amount of modulation, and perfect timing on the voice samples. The melody is not stick-in-your-head catchy (like DJP's similar Actraiser 'Lord PROTEKTOR' ReMix is) but it's still pretty good. Good arrangement also present, this piece comes with everything except the kitchen sink (even a groovin' drum solo at 3:10)

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Can't say I liked it. I really didn't like the way you modulated the synth... Like someone's going "woooooeeeeeeewooeeewooowooeeeeeiioooowoooo". Yeah, that. Although the voice samples and the weird "AA-aaoo-oooh" sound effect was cool too. And at the drum solo, no offense, but it sounded like you were vocoding a fart for the odd little synth percussive sound. All in all, I didn't like it, but I can see what other people DID like about it. Oh, and what makes you think he didn't write it?

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...
One of the best remix's I have ever heard. But we all know you didnt write it.

I've been feeling a bit guilty about this post for the last 2 years. I can't remember why I thought it was funny at the time (It really isn't), and I have no reason to doubt that djpretzel is the remixer. Please accept my apologies.

• 1 year later...

Well produced, especially considering the time frame where this was released. I'm not totally sold on the lead synth, but it has a lot of personality, which is really important. The constant "get ready"s were grating though. What does that dude want from me? I'm ready! I promise! -_-

Overall a funky and bouncing mix, which is pretty enjoyable.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Filters are a bit overdone.. happily only a bit! I can still hear the old-skool synth sounds. That first low-bit scream is just right. Wonderful melodies. Drum writing is tripping over itself, not the most purposeful drumming in all. Somewhat overdone, not serving the flow of the song as well as it should. Overall structure could flow a bit better, it feels just a tad long now. Thel squarewave(?) basses / countermelodies / glitchy stuff are very cool.

But seriously dude, get ready yourself..

--Eino

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 years later...

To start, at least it's less sharp and annoying then the original....

But besides that it's very weird and phasey the whole time and frankly annoying, especially that whiney lead. The arrangement itself seems fine, djp is almost always on the ball when it comes to making da song. But the weird production experiments like this are just sooo confusing. I did however enjoy the kind of odd but fun breakbeat jungle drum things popping in and out. 

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00050 - Space Harrier II "GET READY"