OCR00738 - Final Fantasy "Hardcore"

Ginnsu

Final Fantasy 'Hardcore'

Right off the bat, it starts off with Prelude. I'm one of those crazy people you meet who lack Final Fantasy in there life completely (except for Spirits Within, of course), but there are two beautiful songs from Final Fantasy that have always stuck me as amazing. Those are One Winged Angel, and Prelude. Now this rendition of Prelude starts off with your typical soft piano, and a soothing string set, but don't expect it to stay soothing for long. It quickly jumps into electric rock guitars and an excellent drum set. I tell you, this is something to appreciate. It's even got a little bit of a bass and jazz solo stuck in the middle. Kind of out of the ordinary but some what moving. Excellent piece of work Jared, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have loved every piece of FF music myself. Even the disaster that was 8 had an ok soundtrack (thanks to Nobuo). But I agree, my favorites have to be the Prelude, One Winged Angel, and Celes' Theme. This rendition, (thanks to DJP's warning not to expect the "norm" remix) was throughly enjoyed by myself because of how different it is from the other Prelude mixes. DJP was also right when he talked about the many takes on this song, but this mix seemed to bring something new to the table that sets it appart. Love the jazz breakdown at 2:04, giving the song even more flavor. Very well done, look forward to more!

--Orlan--

(Spoiler about FFVIII ahead)

Lol once playing the games( 8's ) plot doesn't make me sick. The same orphanage? Guardian forces making them lose their memories? lol please =P But I loved Aerith's and Celes' theme, but neither of them were in VIII lol. Nubuo just knows how to change a piece of music well, as do the people in this forum. =)

--Orlan--

P.S. Seifer was the only cool character in the game btw, even if he did suck. ^.^

I really enjoyed this remix. Very well done! I am amazed at the lack of attention it is getting. Are people finally coming to the site and thinking "Oh it's just another Final Fantasy mix.... why bother?" In a way I kind of hope so, as that will force other games to get deserving attention. Though this mix does rank pretty high up there in overall quality and enjoyability. Final Fantasy or not, I certainly recommend it!

I agree with Joe Redifer. At first, I was like: "Oh great, ANOTHER Final Fantasy remix... joy to the world, let's see what song it is, and let's hope it's not remix # 255 of [insert track that has been overdone]"

Let's say I was very very surprised. If you are tired of Final Fantasy, and feel that the RIDICULOUS amount of remix is wearing you down, then DOWNLOAD THIS. It's great!

Vortex

Wow.. just wow, the prelude is one of those harp-things .. and jared here turned it into this really nice-sounding coolass ... hell theres so many genres in there..

You know, im at loss of words, but this is one of the most talented artpieces out there, i mean .. so many genres .. from monotony... Jared gets 10/10 for this piece, good job.

I have to say that this is possibly the single most original FF Mix I've heard in a LONG while (I've been lurking here for the past 8 months) ... the guitar and sax are INCREDIBLE! I could go on and on but I won't, I'm sure everyone gets the point

Man, this is a fantasic remix. At first it brings out the nostalgic feeling of the old school final fantasies, then followed by an awesome guitar/piano remix. This is one of my favourites. If you like the old school FF's, you have to download this. It's amazing.

• 1 month later...

Man this is very good... very original. alot of stuff you don't expect. at first it seems like a generic run of the mill prelude mix.. as has been mentioned a couple times before... but it just keeps getting better and better. I absolutely love the part were the sax comes in. its so original and different yet it flows so smoothly with the rest of the song. ~a top notch remix.

• 8 months later...

I liked the jazzy parts a lot, I felt they were very polished and had a spontaneous feel. I don't know, the harp and guitar just seemed too rough, I guess; the instrumentation detracted too much from the experience for me. Original enough take on an overdone song, though.

• 10 months later...
Wow.. just wow, the prelude is one of those harp-things .. and jared here turned it into this really nice-sounding coolass ... hell theres so many genres in there..

You know, im at loss of words, but this is one of the most talented artpieces out there, i mean .. so many genres .. from monotony... Jared gets 10/10 for this piece, good job.

so true.

it's hard to comment on this because there is nothing i would do to improve it so...erm... yeah this is an awesome mix

• 1 year later...

I've been listenign to this song for some time, and I must say, it's an awesome remix. Mixing the style of rock, with jazz, with a Final Fantasy, and actually making it sound good is definetly an impressive feat.

I love the bit at 2:55, how the Prelude starts playing again alongside the guitars. It's an awesome, yet highly underated remix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now that´s a surprise. For being a prelude, JH sure could draw some real cool stuff out of it, like a wizard with a hat stuffed with bunnies. Begins with a calm harp and ends with the same, but it´s the middle that´s so awesome. In one moment he plays some real thrashing guitar and in the next he throws it away to have some hands to play some piano and sax. We have respect packed into a remix here people!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Some of the samples are a bit dirty, but this is a pretty capable mix. I wish a little more attention to velocity was paid, as some of the piano bits were a bit clunky, but overall this is a really nice mix and a good way to mix things up in an unexpected way (extra funny, as I try to personally rock just about everything). Synth guitar was obviously fake, but higher quality samples than i'm used to, and the only real spots it sounded off were some of the fast runs. I think part of that was again the velocity issue.

Nice interpretation, as well. Some of the melodic lines went to unexpected but welcome places. The breakdown with the sax solo was very Falcom sounding, and sounded awesome. Overall this is a really nice prelude, and if the sample usage could have matched the arranging skill, this would have been perfect.

As is, it's still very very strong, even considering the age. Nice work. :-D

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00738 - Final Fantasy "Hardcore"