OCR00739 - Super Mario Bros. "Aquatic Interlude"

Ginnsu

Super Mario Bros. 'Aquatic Interlude'

Oh my goodness, this is beautiful. Short and a little bare bones, but definitely beautiful. Plucked strings work so amazingly well with this tune. And this tune is one that I think is horribly neglected, so double the thumbs up for Brad for this one. This is something that sure brings back to memories. So much so that it's almost too nostalgic. Wow. Great remix Brad Smith, is this played live? Must be.

Thanks for the compliments. :D Actually the funny thing about this recording is it was done as I was just learning guitar, and the guitar itself was missing an important string. So the guitar part ended up being done in 3 tracks (even though there's rarely more than 2 strings playing at once). The synthesizer part was more of an afterthought, it was definitely recorded live, one take, it was even improvised.

Nowadays I can play guitar much better and I can do the whole guitar part at once... but I wouldn't rerecord it because I was so happy with the way it ended up sounding.

Actually, I originally did this to be ending music for an ill fated film a friend of mine was making about a guy addicted to Nintendo. I got to play a shyguy in a dream sequence... I got hit in the head by a large beet several times! :x I think that part of the film is actually on the internet at http://browntastic.tripod.com/

Reminded me of playing back on the NES when I was little. It also reminds me Super Mario Sunshine a little. This one is pretty good for a listen or two but that's about it, and it won't cater to everyone's interests. Keep up the good work though.

Anyway, this little mix is very nice. The guitar works very well, and the pads are a nice bonus. I dunno why, but this song makes me think about sitting at a café or something in Venice, Italy with a lovely girl, just watching the gondolas float by.

I'd love hear a longer version of this, perhaps with some mandolins in the background; a little more italian flavor, if you will. ^_^

But as it is, it's a very pretty mix that stands up on it's own. Good job!

Excellent piece. Very excellent. I love the classical guitar anyway, though.

This is how the aquatic theme was meant to be played. It flows along, all the while with a sense of... remoteness. Like being removed from the world on land, and looking at it while leisurely padddling through water.

Darkesword- That's weird. I had the same kind of thought about it... with the gondolas, I mean. Well, similar at least. This piece/arrangement really reminds me of the Third Man theme.(Set in Vienna, but it's the same continent. :¬) If you haven't heard that song yet, give a look for it. It's by Anton Karas.

Ryan8bit- reminds me of your Crystalis remix. Really like that one too.

Lakilelet- <pun blatant=yes>you're all wet</pun>. Besides, if you want to lose the "crack" redownload. At least give it a try uninterrupted.

After this one, I'm looking forward to the next brad smith submission.

I think it was a good choice to use multiple guitar tracks instead of cramming it onto a single guitar...it ensures most of the notes are well-timed and ring out. Plus the intro (which is repeated when the theme starts over) seems like it would be awkward on 1 guitar what with both parts moving in opposite directions ;). As far as composition, it's pretty true to the original with the guitar tone itself bringing the unique-factor.

This and ryan8bit's crystalis remixes are the first acoustic guitar pieces I've downloaded from overclocked: both are good examples of the 'feel' that non-keyboard-midi-instruments can add to songs. This mario one is less creative composition-wise but stronger presentation-wise than ryan8bit's. Time to search for more guitar-centric stuff!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I love mixes like this. Very peaceful arrangements of a song we all know and love. It's just a guitar playing a very well-played randition of the water theme, and it's very easy and nice to listen to.

Beautiful, honestly.

The strings the second time through could have been better, but the way Brad Smith plays the guitar here is all I need to make me listen again and again.

I wish it had been longer than 1:20 though.

Then again there's only so far you can go with one melody and one instrument.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This is one of my favorites. Short yes but its oh so perfect! I can find anything wrong with it. Here's why.

A. It's guitar

B. Its in the classical style

C. The underwater theme *which is basically the title screen theme* is a really underated Mario theme which just rocks.

D. It's guitar.

PERFECT!

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Very pretty but so short. :-(

I'd love to hear a solo section or a bridge section added. I'm glad this got in when it did, because there's no way it'd pass now, but it's very soothing.

DS's comments about adding mandolin (and maybe accordion) are spot on, and would really take this mix to the next level.

Still, as is, it's very nice.

• 1 year later...

It's a shame it is so slim, but I still think the theme was represented quite well. It's a great sounding cover, and there's some real feeling to the notes. It's a treat to hear something so bare and subdued.

But at this length, and with those tools, the mix was always destined to be lost amongst the sea of greatness.

It's definately nice while it lasts, though.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00739 - Super Mario Bros. "Aquatic Interlude"
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

It almost hurts my soul that it’s so short, but it’s so peaceful and true to the source that it is still lovely to listen to on a loop for a bit. Definitely agree that this would be a great cutscene track. Always nice to hear mixes build on a song for several minutes, but I’m ok chilling out with this one for a minute as well.