Starcraft 2

Shadow Wolf

To be honest, I'm quite ready for the Terrans to kick some serious ass.

Terrans are so much the opposite of the perfect species that those whatcha-ma-callit have been trying to do all this time with the Protoss, then the Zerg, and then finally the Xel'naga. It's only fitting that a bunch of human marines come in and blow things up into small chunks.

The cinematic trailer... on http://www.starcraft2.com/ is... perfect.

the xel'naga ARE your "whatcha-ma-callits"

-The Protoss respond by commissioning "Immortals"--heavy-duty tanks with powerful energy shields.

-...medium infantry with jetpacks that can jump barriers to raid enemy bases...

-...has a "blink" ability that lets them jump anywhere they can see...

-...Protoss colossus--gigantic walkers with cutting lasers...

-...The colossus unit is vulnerable to air attacks...

-...new kind of suicide unit that explodes in a burst of acid...

-...Protoss mothership, the ultimate weapon in the Protoss army...

-...multiple lasers that devastate anything beneath it...

-...can create a black hole...

oh haha blizzard what the hell?

There is simply no way this game is in pre-alpha. Not with the kind of gameplay we're seeing in those trailers. I think it's like Scotty telling Kirk he needs 4 hours to fix the engines, but he knows damn well he only needs 10 minutes. It makes him look good when he gets it done sooner. That's what Blizzard's doing. If they've been on this since 2003... shit, that's 4 years. Blizzard is too world class to need 6 or 7 years to finish a game. Also, with the revenue from WoW, there is no such thing as development costs at this point, so finances won't be a holdup. The dev cycle for most RTS games is 2 to 3 years, tops. So yeah, I don't think we'll be waiting till 2010.

In other news, I've riped the music from the artwork trailer to an MP3, for whoever wants it. It's available at the following link:

StarCraft II Artwork Trailer Music

Originally Posted by Gamespot article

-The Protoss respond by commissioning "Immortals"--heavy-duty tanks with powerful energy shields.

-...medium infantry with jetpacks that can jump barriers to raid enemy bases...

-...has a "blink" ability that lets them jump anywhere they can see...

-...Protoss colossus--gigantic walkers with cutting lasers...

-...The colossus unit is vulnerable to air attacks...

-...new kind of suicide unit that explodes in a burst of acid...

-...Protoss mothership, the ultimate weapon in the Protoss army...

-...multiple lasers that devastate anything beneath it...

-...can create a black hole...

oh haha blizzard what the hell?

I guess they learned a few things from Supreme Commander although that could be a good or a bad thing depending on execution :3

Looks awesome so far to me, chalk up another going to reinstall Starcraft right this instant.

Also, lets play sc!!

come on guys, I suck but I really like the game and lets get a game goin on bnet.

I'll definitely be up for some Starcraft once I finish with finals (really, Monday is my only heavy day, so any day after that will rock).

I really suck at playing competitively against other human players, though. I tend to play too much of a defensive game, which gives others plenty of time to build an army that can crush my defenses like they're nothing; I'd really love to have the opportunity to get a bit better at playing offensively.

Let's MAKE IT HAPPEN... (on Tuesday or later)

So I just got around to watching the actual gameplay demo and I must say it looks very impressive. The added functionality in the height dimension (Collosus just walking up and down edges, Reapers leaping over them, ship parts either falling to the ground or into the abyss of space) is neat. They do seem to be adding a lot of very familiar sci-fi elements, however, and I'm not sure how I feel about the Protoss becoming more and more like the generic technologically advanced alien race of pretty much every other work in the genre. Star Wars with the immortals, War of the Worlds with the Collosus, Independence Day with the Mothership?

Hell, who am I kidding? It's all still great. Time to go actually beat the original campaigns.

Well, StarCraft was already pretty much a Warhammer 40k rip-off in the first place, so borrowing stuff from other series isn't really anything new.

Meh, I guess. They could just not make it blatantly obvious, like with the Mothership. It fires lasers and generates black holes. The Scrin Mothership is also a endgame unit, fires lasers and their superweapon is a black hole generator. :\

Plus the "hicks in space" routine is pretty much the orks fused with the ideology of the Imperial Guard and the design of the Space Marines. And the Zerg are very similar to the Tyranids. And the Protoss are a lot like the Eldar.

Nevertheless, Blizzard does put their own spin into it, so it's more fun to look at it as a "reinterpretation" of Warhammer 40K then a "rip-off".

And D.Radium I was talking about how the units description resembles the units and abilities from the Dawn of War and Command and Conquer 3 games, not Supreme Commander since the lack of massive scale nerfs the units to a point where it's really nothing like SupCom.

Again, Warhammer wasn't exactly original either. It merely put fantasy archetypes to space. That was all there was to it.

BTW, I'm happy to see that some Red Alert developers are in on it. They were always an under appreciated talent IMO.

In before the inevitable return of Stacked Tower Defense.

Downloaded and watched the gameplay video off of starcraft2.com

Then found a guy who summed up what I thought for me.

i am kind of dissapointed in the graphical style though. marines have shields?!!? the colossus (the really tall bulgy headed thing) looks like it could fall over at any time. the battle criuzers look like cartoons, zealots have turned into rastafarian ninjas and zlings look like flys!

i liked the old swoopy, mettalic, glowy, awesomemess of the old protoss.

the old indutrial ness of the terran

and the creepy oozy, nastyness of the zerg.

Gameplay, however, just up the speed and add the balance and it looks like fun. I like alot of the ideas, especially the mobile pylon thing and the ability to teleport in units there. A+

That gameplay video is pure fappage. But what does the GG at the end mean?

Don't you play RTSs? Or even FPSs? It's online lingo for Good Game. And very much overused in professional Starcraft.

i am kind of dissapointed in the graphical style though. marines have shields?!!? the colossus (the really tall bulgy headed thing) looks like it could fall over at any time. the battle criuzers look like cartoons, zealots have turned into rastafarian ninjas and zlings look like flys!

Shields and structural stability aren't really related to "art style." I didn't really notice a difference in the BCs...and Zealots have always been Rastafarian ninjas. :P The "dreads" they have are the psionic appendages that nobody ever seemed to notice in the first game (see Exhibit A and B).

Exhibit A

dreadsrf7.jpg

Exhibit B

dreads2rv0.jpg

(Zeratul's are cut off because he's a Dark Templar.)