Starcraft 2

Shadow Wolf

I don't know, but I just had this sudden realisation where starcraft II plot is going. I have a feeling Kerrigan is going to be reverted back to human (maybe a cure found for her?)

http://www.starcraft2.com/images/artwork/ss4-hires.jpg

I know by the hair this is Kerrigan. But she looks less Zerg and more Human.

Interesting, but it sounds like a big stretch for the story, and she can still pass off as Zerg infested (look at dat skin!)

• 2 weeks later...

New video

Shows new units and buildings

Tempest is the new Carrier I guess.

I think it's because Aiur is destroyed and the Protoss are on Shakuras or whatever that place is called, most of the units are Dark templar like. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

I think it's because Aiur is destroyed and the Protoss are on Shakuras or whatever that place is called, most of the units are Dark templar like. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

Makes sense.

I wish Blizzard would release new information more regularly through the official site, though. It's been kind of tiring seeing the same two videos and four units up there for the last month.

If by "looks like Warcraft 3" you mean "the colors are vivid", then yes, it looks like Warcraft 3.

Fun with colour theory! Here's a screenshot after I tweaked the colours quite a bit to make it look somewhat similar to Starcraft's palette:

sc2screenshoppedks2.jpg

I'd be pretty happy if SC2's colour scheme ends up looking something like that.

And here's the original. AHH, my eyes!!

sc2screenoriginalwh2.jpg

The goggles do nothing!

I don't mind the overpowering blue lighting over the whole environment so much as the piercing cyan/blue glowing Protoss crap everywhere.

On a non-colour related note: some of the SC2 models look quite WC3-ish (that chunky low-poly feel) when they're VERY up close, like the Protoss unit pictures in the "Features" section of the site. However, they'll never be shown that close in the game (we can only hope, lest it start looking like WC3 =O).

One thing that bugged me though is that the units' voices, to me, sound very WC3-ish. They also sound pretty lame and say pretty lame things (not unlike WC3) and have bad effects over top. I'm sure they'll come up with better unit voices later though...

This looks like the star craft I remember.

sc2screenshoppedks2.jpg

If you think this is bad. Just look at the new starcraft game play video on the lush green land based planet. It screams warcraft! >.<

sc2screenoriginalwh2.jpg

Starcraft is a dark universe based around the brutal Terrans, the creepy Zerg of every one's nightmares and the Religious Protoss. Bright colours do not set the scene well.

The problem with WC3 isn't the art direction, it's the fact that it is an RTS that tries to be Diablo and ends up being watered down in both aspects.

Please explain. This doesn't make sense to me.

Also. TFT < RoC? I dunno, Bahamut...it's better for ladder matches, but you're kinda stuck in TFT if you want competetive DotA, obviously. Seeing as I'm a competetive DotA player...I'm a little bias.

What's with all the WC3 hate? Honestly, I could care less on how it looks (mostly because I don't mind the WC3 look) and just want some freaking amazing gameplay and new mechanics.

Well, I think everyone can agree that the gameplay's more important than graphics. But it's not so much how it looks that matters, it's the "feel". Colours and brightness tend to dictate this feel. Whether or not you like WC3 or how it looks or feels is not the point. I like the look and feel of "Wii Play". Do I want Starcraft 2 too look like it? Hell no! Starcraft has a very different mood than Warcraft, and to make the intended "mood" of the visuals so similar to Warcraft's latest RTS installment would be... a mistake.

Heck, WC3's visuals were so bright and happy-looking, I felt its relatively slow and brooding soundtrack did not fit AT ALL - especially compared to WC2's amazing synergy of music and visual style. When you see SC2 screenshots or videos, can you imagine the original SC soundtrack would "fit" with the visuals? As bright as they are right now, I'm not so sure - even the current music for the SC2 demos and stuff sounds much more "herioc" and "whimsical" than Starcraft's dark vibe. But I'll even admit, I don't mind the new shiny bright look THAT much - you definately don't want to go overkill on the darkness. Heck, that bright planet looks pretty nice and realistic, a nice sunshiny planet, y'know...

Hm. I do see your point. I agree with that the glow on the buildings and units is a bit too bright, but I think that the worlds can be as bright as they want. I mean, any given planet in that universe can be however they want to depict it. The units though, should definitely have a darker and edgier feel to them.