Starcraft 2

Shadow Wolf

On Normal, I had little difficulty with the bonus objectives if I stuck with a single strategy: MARINES. I'm telling you, getting plenty of Marines and Medics and supplementing them with heavier units like Siege Tanks works very well. Marines are your bread-and-butter unit in the campaign. They're cheap and very effective when in larger groups. Just make sure you do a little micromanaging of their targets; focus down each enemy individually with the whole group and advance between shots so that more of them get into range with each shot. Works beautifully.

This focus on Marines is much less effective in Brutal, though!

Did only a handful of people buy this game for the multiplayer? I don't see anyone from OCR on this game almost ever.

Add me to that handful. I should have the game installed by tomorrow :D

I'm wondering how the handicap system for custom games works... hopefully I can play OCR members even when there's a large skill gap. I shouldn't talk until I actually do my placement matches in non-beta, but I am pretty curious. I mean, if a player gets a simple HP or damage buff/nerf in SC2, it throws a whole shitload of things out of whack (unlike Warcraft 3 where everything had lots of hitpoints). Whatever, as long as it's fun ^_^

I bought this game exclusively for the multiplayer but because I'm still region locked I'm slogging through singleplayer on the higher difficulties instead.

So you didn't go with the digital download so you can choose your region? Sad face :(

Why not play ladder? The matchmaking's actually pretty good.

The thread for names got replaced with a group thing:

http://ocremix.org/forums/group.php?groupid=8

...with list of names here:

http://ocremix.org/forums/group.php?do=discuss&discussionid=69

Bookmark it or something so you don't have to look through 5 pages to find it like I just did ^_^

Oh wait you already posted there, nevermind me! >,<

[Edit]

In Gold leauge, I had little difficulty with winning if I stuck with a single strategy: MARINES. I'm telling you, getting plenty of Marines and Medivacs and supplementing them with heavier units like Siege Tanks works very well. Marines are your bread-and-butter unit in multiplayer. They're cheap and very effective when in larger groups. Just make sure you do a little micromanaging of their targets; focus down each enemy individually with the whole group and advance between shots so that more of them get into range with each shot. Works beautifully.

This focus on Marines is much less effective in Platinum, though!

Fixed that for you =D

Do you really want two SC2 threads?

Fixed that for you =D

Marines easily have the second highest DPS for minerals invested (first being zerglings), but they're also insanely durable in the campaign because of the imba medic upgrades you get. Online I can see them being a bit less effective because of the lack of medics, but you'd still need a shitload of AoE (Colossi, Siege Tanks) to counter them effectively. Last I checked, MMM (marine/marauder/medivac) was a pretty viable strat still.

Yeah something I've noticed in this game is that unit upgrades are really, really strong and are definitely worth getting. I'm still a noob (bronze league lol) but there are a few key upgrades that really boost your units.

I was playing practice league for a while but I think that it teaches bad habits, since the rocks basically block ground units from early scouting. I'm not a particularly aggressive player (I don't really have the APM for good multitasking) but I do like to have the option of sending in troops that aren't air-based. I've been ranked in the Bronze League so I'm still not particularly good. One thing to keep in mind is that even at the lower league I am losing, so if you are in fact quite new to Starcraft 2 then keep playing the practice league while you get used to the unit, build orders, and so forth.

I've just started getting into the Starcraft 2 strategies and stuff. I had no idea what natural expansions, build orders, micro, macro, or economy were until this past weekend.

I haven't played any multiplayer games yet. I might start tonight after I finish packing.

On the other hand, I've already begun my quest of beating the campaign on Brutal without any upgrades. I just finished the mission "The Devil's Playground"; that was definitely the hardest so far. Took a few tries before I was able to get my defenses up properly before getting hit hard by the waves of Zerg attacks.

I haven't played any multiplayer games yet. I might start tonight after I finish packing.

On the other hand, I've already begun my quest of beating the campaign on Brutal without any upgrades. I just finished the mission "The Devil's Playground"; that was definitely the hardest so far. Took a few tries before I was able to get my defenses up properly before getting hit hard by the waves of Zerg attacks.

Are you sure it's possible to beat the campaign on Brutal without any upgrades? The campaign may not be designed that way, you know.

Hey, at least you're attempting to play the campaign on Brutal. For some reason in my mind I've made the steadfast decision to not even touch the campaign on that difficulty >_<.

Are you sure it's possible to beat the campaign on Brutal without any upgrades? The campaign may not be designed that way, you know.

Won't know until I try. And try I will! Except for the Survive and Timed missions, I think it'll end up being just a matter of very strategic maneuvers and tactical decisions that'll get me victory. Above all else, though, patience will be the key. The last mission required a lot of it, compared to on Normal where I could just steamroll the entire Zerg force with little effort.

The Survival and Timed missions, though, those may be more tricky. Particularly the last mission. I have no idea right now how I'm going to go about it. I'll probably get a better idea once I get better at the game and figure out better combinations of units to use.

Hey, at least you're attempting to play the campaign on Brutal. For some reason in my mind I've made the steadfast decision to not even touch the campaign on that difficulty >_<.

It's really not TOO hard... just a big step up from Normal. (I went directly to Upgradeless Brutal from Upgraded Normal, so the difficulty change was a bit shocking.) I'm sure that, if you played Brutal with upgrades, you'd be able to do it with a little patience.

Won't know until I try. And try I will! Except for the Survive and Timed missions, I think it'll end up being just a matter of very strategic maneuvers and tactical decisions that'll get me victory. Above all else, though, patience will be the key. The last mission required a lot of it, compared to on Normal where I could just steamroll the entire Zerg force with little effort.

I think that you will have to use Psi Emitters to beat the last mission on Brutal for sure. Hope that you do well though! If you decide to use upgrades, post a list of what you take to get through things.

Marines easily have the second highest DPS for minerals invested (first being zerglings), but they're also insanely durable in the campaign because of the imba medic upgrades you get. Online I can see them being a bit less effective because of the lack of medics, but you'd still need a shitload of AoE (Colossi, Siege Tanks) to counter them effectively. Last I checked, MMM (marine/marauder/medivac) was a pretty viable strat still.

In multiplayer MMM can be very strong, but you have to have very good control because it's easy to lose your mass of marines due to the natural clumping of units. Protoss can use range upgraded colossus, or lay a blanket of psi storms, Zerg can throw banelings at you and when you are fungal growthed by their infestors it is impossible to run away, and TvT is mostly tank/viking wars with marauder supplements nowadays. But again, if you can protect your marines well, it is definitely very strong.

Did only a handful of people buy this game for the multiplayer? I don't see anyone from OCR on this game almost ever.

I bought it for multiplayer. That's almost entirely all I've done since I've gotten it. I'll add you, plus I have my info in the Social Group too.

*!@#%#$^& TAL'DARIM!

I said above that the Survive and Timed missions would be the hardest. Boy, was I right. The mission to gather the Terrazine gas... &*%*^#%! Wave after wave of high-tech Protoss units (Void Rays, Colossi, and High Templar), and a bunch of them gathered around every node, especially when they're sealing a node. My unit production just can't keep up. I'd probably be able to scrape by if I massed Marines... except those damn High Templar slaughter them every time.

However, I've been sticking to my starting base only so far. I think the key to victory will be securing the middle resources as soon as humanly possible so I can pump more units out faster. Of course, holding the middle ground after taking it... that'll be tricky.

*!@#%#$^& TAL'DARIM!

I said above that the Survive and Timed missions would be the hardest. Boy, was I right. The mission to gather the Terrazine gas... &*%*^#%! Wave after wave of high-tech Protoss units (Void Rays, Colossi, and High Templar), and a bunch of them gathered around every node, especially when they're sealing a node. My unit production just can't keep up. I'd probably be able to scrape by if I massed Marines... except those damn High Templar slaughter them every time.

However, I've been sticking to my starting base only so far. I think the key to victory will be securing the middle resources as soon as humanly possible so I can pump more units out faster. Of course, holding the middle ground after taking it... that'll be tricky.

This mission made me switch from brutal to hard. It gets very, very annoying. In my experience the middle base is too well defended to do any kind of early rush (they have lots of cannons and a bunch of void rays up there), not to mention that it's very close to the droves of units that run around closing the nodes.

I found that massing goliaths isn't that effective because you only have one base of gas, and goliaths are pretty pathetic in the face of stalkers. Mass marine/medic seems to be the way to go provided you can micro them out of psistorms. Fortunately the high templars are pretty rare in that level. Being FAST is the key here because the enemy starts spawning higher tier units as time goes by (more high templar/colossi).

screenshot2010080510082.th.jpg

I...

*twitch*

What.

OK, their supply of units is seemingly endless. This is truly madness. I finally secure the middle ground and this happens. My entire army wiped out. I need some freakin' siege tanks. I don't think any amount of upgrades at this point in the game would be able to get me through this level. I may have to just pack up and come back to it when I have more units to choose from.

screenshot2010080510082.th.jpg

I...

*twitch*

What.

OK, their supply of units is seemingly endless. This is truly madness. I finally secure the middle ground and this happens. My entire army wiped out. I need some freakin' siege tanks. I don't think any amount of upgrades at this point in the game would be able to get me through this level. I may have to just pack up and come back to it when I have more units to choose from.

Yeah, coming back with Vikings to get Colossi / Void Rays might not be a bad idea. Siege Tanks should be the defining moment though -- once you have them a bunch of missions will get a lot easier.

Edit: I know Turrets hit colossi -- will air-air units hit them also? I actually don't know.

They will. Vikings will be really handy against the Colossi, but it's the siege tanks that I really need. The air units and Colossi are the main problems when going up against my base defenses, and the Colossi + High Templar combo is the hangup when using my army. I could focus down all the air units with my army, but then my army would get wiped out by the Colossi and High Templar. But if I go for those two, then the air units have enough time to decimate my base defense structures. Either happening makes it impossible to recover. Getting siege tanks would help oh so much because they'd be able to focus down the Colossi and High Templar before they can dish out much damage, allowing my army to focus down the air units before they do too much damage.

I just completed The Great Train Robbery. Easiest mission so far. The only hard part is the very beginning; you have to get everything going at once, but once the economy and supply issues are handled, it's just a matter of pumping Diamondbacks out of two Factories.

Edit: I know Turrets hit colossi -- will air-air units hit them also? I actually don't know.

Yes.

Also, about the Welcome To The Jungle mission. There might be some way to cheese it by floating your command center around and just bumrushing stuff with SCVs.

One thing you can do is immediately secure the two nearest canisters on the left side at the start with your initial group of units and 2 SCVs, the protoss will send out 3 stalkers which is manageable with your goliaths/marines.

Also, about the Welcome To The Jungle mission. There might be some way to cheese it by floating your command center around and just bumrushing stuff with SCVs.

One thing you can do is immediately secure the two nearest canisters on the left side at the start with your initial group of units and 2 SCVs, the protoss will send out 3 stalkers which is manageable with your goliaths/marines.

Haha, maybe on the lower difficulty levels, but not on Brutal. Too many units that can hit both air and ground guarding the locations. You'd need a mobile security force, and by the time you get that, the waves are too powerful for you to even think about attempting it.

I will try grabbing those canisters next time I go for it, but I'm not trying again until I at least have siege tanks.

I bought it for multiplayer. That's almost entirely all I've done since I've gotten it. I'll add you, plus I have my info in the Social Group too.

I'm quite bad at the game still, my record is something like 4-21 or something like that. I've been playing Zerg but I think that I might switch to Terran since I've lost LOTS of games as Zerg but proportionally less as Terran.

I don't quite know what I'm doing poorly, but I think I'm not managing my supply well and not microing my battles well. As Zerg I tend to fall behind my opponent in army value quickly because I don't have enough forces to penetrate defenses like bunkers and photon cannons. So I think I'm not doing a good job of estimating the strength of my army vs the opponent before I go off on attacks.

I will try grabbing those canisters next time I go for it, but I'm not trying again until I at least have siege tanks.

Well, the mission is designed as an introduction for goliaths, so siege tanks really won't be that useful. Most groups in that mission consist of a shitton of void rays/scouts and only a few zealots/stalkers. You should give it a try once you get Vikings.

Well, the mission is designed as an introduction for goliaths, so siege tanks really won't be that useful. Most groups in that mission consist of a shitton of void rays/scouts and only a few zealots/stalkers. You should give it a try once you get Vikings.

They're especially nice once they get splash damage and their range bumped up to 11. They're basically anti-air, flying siege tanks at that point. Their mobility makes them better than thors at anti air at that point, if you ask me.