Graphics card problem,

Final_metroid

LockRect failed: D3DERR_DRIVERINTERNALERROR

History: UD3DRenderDevice::ReadPixels <- UD3DRenderDevice::Present <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I get this when I try to play postal 2: share the pain. I have played it before successfully but It just randomly stopped working.

I have tried reinstalling and patching.

I have recently installed black and white and installed AVIRA antivirus and uninstalled McAffe, could those be a part of the problem?

EDIT: After seeing if it affected any other programs, I tried to initalize B&W and it said the core file "black.exe" or something was corrupt or deleted or something. I did I system restore and before I installed B&W and AVIRA and I got a different error. (couldn't post) But, still, does anyone have a solution to the above? As I willl try to reinstall and see what happens.

Unless you are running Windows Vista, it won't. XP and below are incompatible with DirectX 10.

Reinstall 9.0c.

Ah..gotcha

EDIT: didnt work, specifically I installed "DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime" from microsoft. Did I install the wrong thing?

EDIT EDIT: From google searching, i found people playing similar FPS games got a similar problem when they pressed the "Windows" key and then maximized it from the taskbar. I did that the first time to do something, uninstalled it ,reinstalled and played. I did it about 10 minutes ago (didn't see the pattern before) and it locked up during gameplay when I maximized it. I wouldn't expect the effects to stick AFTER I did it though. Is there a solution? Or do you think I will just have to uninstall and reinstall?

Ah..gotcha

EDIT: didnt work, specifically I installed "DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime" from microsoft. Did I install the wrong thing?

That's the latest and last version for XP. If it doesn't solve your problem, you might wanna try updating your videocard's drivers. The latest version can be downloaded from the chipset manufacturer's site(Which means ATi/AMD or nVidia, NOT the card manufacturer)

If you don't know what kind of videocard you've got installed, right-click the desktop, select Properties and go to the Advanced tab. It will mention both the monitor type and videocard there.