Music Program Suggestions

Yes, yes, people who recognize me will probably notice that I've asked this question before, but it's always good to get second (or third, or fourth) opinions on such matters before I pay good money on a music program.

I've been looking at getting Sibelius v4 for a while now, and once I get it I can finally start submitting songs. Yay. Unfortunately, when I was browsing through profile options, I noticed that this name was not listed with the other music programs available, such as FLStudio and Acid. So, before I make a decision that I may regret, I want professional opinions on this matter: Is Sibelius v4 good? If not, which program would be best?

Oh, and I did check out the sticky thread about the affiliate zzounds.com, and I did find Sibelius for sale on that site, so I will consider ordering from there regardless of what your suggestions are.

What kind of music do you primarily want to create?
I don't want to be limited to just one style of music; I plan to have a varied repertoire of music, including classical piano, rock, jazz, techno, and.... well, maybe an orchestrated piece if I feel ambitious enough. :razz: Nothing with lyrics, though, I tend to stay away from that.

The only program I've tried thus far is a trial version of FLStudio, which I've found difficult to use. Everything looks like a bunch of bars and switches, and I can't seem to add any instruments. It could be the fact that it was only a trial version, or that I just haven't found out how to add other instruments yet, or that FLStudio has a limited instrumentation.

Acid and Reason, from the screenshots I've seen so far, look very similar to FLStudio, and although I'm sure there are differences, I think writing in notation would be easiest for me since I'm used to reading music that way. Just like how you would write a story in Microsoft Word, instead of writing it by hand, I want to be able to write music out in notation, instead of by hand, but I also want to be able to play the music back so I know how it sounds. The ideal program, in my eyes, would be one that allows me to put notes down for different instruments and then have the program play it so that I know if I made a mistake or not. Of course, the main important thing I'm looking for is a program with a diverse array of instruments and options, so that's my primary concern.

I'm sorry if I'm being difficult. :-P Thanks again for all your help.

Do not use Sibelius or Finale if you plan on doing anything more than creating sheet music.

or that I just haven't found out how to add other instruments yet

Yep. Channels > Add One > Select Instrument.

or that FLStudio has a limited instrumentation.

Wrong. FL has less packaged goods than say Reason, however since FL is a VST host and Reason is not, the odds are exponentially in FL's favor. Also, stay the hell away from Acid.

I think writing in notation would be easiest for me since I'm used to reading music that way.

If you're really hell bent on writing in notation, your best bet would be Cubase. It's a full DAW, VST host, recording station, etc, plus you can sequence in notation. And it's not limited to some ridiculous proprietary Kontakt Player format (I'm looking at you, Sibelius).

I would suggest Cakewalk Sonar. It is not so difficult to use, and it does suit for almost any style. It comes with Edirol Hyper Canvas ( a pretty good GM module) and a sweet set of studio effects.

By the way, you say you want to make musics in different styles, right? Then I would suggest that you get the VSTi: 'Steinberg Hypersonic'!! Steinberg Hypersonic is a very good all in one sound module, you better check it out.

It sounds to me as though your new to the business of composing music with computers. In that case I would not reccomend getting Cakewalk as it will take you a long time to get to know how to use it. I would suggest Reason or FL Studio (or both), they are both easy to use, it's just a matter of reading the tutorials provided with the software. In any case, you're not going to master it over night, but these tools make composing a lot easier.

All right, I've done a lot of research during this time (thank you, wikipedia :-D ) and I see that Sibelius is a scorewriter and not a sequencer. In fact, up till now I didn't even know that there was a difference, and I'm still a little foggy as to what the real difference between them is. The only real problem I see with Sibelius now is that it saves music in its own file type (.SIB) and can only translate into .midi files, and I'd prefer mp3...

For the moment I'll continue toying with my FL Studio demo and see if I can't make any progress, but I'm also looking at Cubase since it's a sequencer that can write in musical notation. I might end up getting Sibelius anyway, on the side, but I might not get the professional version if it's not worth my money.

Thanks again for your opinions and guidance.

• 3 weeks later...
Eternal, if you find notation worlds easier to work in (like me), download the free trial version of Finale 2007.

The full version comes with high quality samples, and can record to mp3. I'm a lab admin at my school's music building, and I would take Finale over Sibelius any day.

can the Finale 2007 trial export as midi? I'm looking for something to do midi on a mac, and spending a few hundred dollars on something that is a basic midi sequencer isn't my style at this point in time.

can the Finale 2007 trial export as midi? I'm looking for something to do midi on a mac, and spending a few hundred dollars on something that is a basic midi sequencer isn't my style at this point in time.

Unfortunately, no -- to get all of the features, you need the expensive version ($350, assuming that you're a student), or $200 if you're willing to skimp on the engraving and polishing areas (e.g. no one will ever want to perform your sheet music live).

It Depends on what you're planning to do, there are definitely certain things that certain programs excel at. I love finale note pad, personally. But if I were to write anything, I'd go with FL and a midi keyboard. Sadly though, I don't think there's any way to get sheet music out of fl studio.