Buying HDTVs

KWarp

Lots of them.

My family's remodeling a house for us to move into, and they're equipping the entire place with a few new flatscreen TVs, HD ones for the most part.

We've decided to go with LCD, 720p. Five 30" and one 50". All of them will be mounted onto walls. The next question is what brand of TV set will work best for us? (Sony, Toshiba, etc.) A durable TV and good customer service is a priority.

We're also thinking about a DLP projector for a home-theater setup. Something compatible with computers, game consoles, and TV broadcasting. Suggestions?

For the big one, I highly recommend the Sony Bravia XBR. It's LCD, and after a long time in several stores comparing the same pictures on all of them, it was clearly the best. It has a lot of excellent features as well, like tons of different inputs and picture settings like you wouldn't believe.

I agree with the Samsungs. I went through three separate Sharp Aquos 42in 1080p TVs (62 model if you're interested), and all had one dead pixel, and some slight banding. Switched to a 40in 1080p Samsung, and haven't looked back. Picture is similar, but I'd lean toward the Samsung from what I've seen.

Lots of them.

My family's remodeling a house for us to move into, and they're equipping the entire place with a few new flatscreen TVs, HD ones for the most part.

We've decided to go with LCD, 720p. Five 30" and one 50". All of them will be mounted onto walls. The next question is what brand of TV set will work best for us? (Sony, Toshiba, etc.) A durable TV and good customer service is a priority.

We're also thinking about a DLP projector for a home-theater setup. Something compatible with computers, game consoles, and TV broadcasting. Suggestions?

If you're gonna go as far as buying 270-whatever LCD TVs, why not go all the way and get 1080p?

Yeah, I'm quite certain buying all these TVs is just a little too much for us. Then again, our family hasn't bought new furniture in the last 10 years. We're going all-out on this remodel.

If you're gonna go as far as buying 270-whatever LCD TVs, why not go all the way and get 1080p?

Buying 7 1080p sets is wasteful in my opinion. It seems sensible to make the largest one 1080p though.

Seems like Samsung and Sony is the way to go. Cool. Anyone have experience with DLP projectors?

I use a 24" LCD MONITOR for tv, game consoles, computer.

What I use is a Samsung SyncMaster 244-T. It has inputs for DVI, 15-pin analog (many call this "VGA"), component, S-Video, composite. It's 1920x1200 so does 1080p (1920x1080) just fine. It comes in black too (what I use). I got it for $700 .. not bad for 1080p!

The only things TVs generally have over it is sound (I use an audio switch on my speakers to select which device I'm listening to), remotes (Just use on on the cable box if you want a TV remote for channels), HDMI, and things like volume, because I have to change the speaker knobs to change volume.

Works for me, but I'm more of a computer person than a TV person.

My only complaint is that when it turns vertically, it turns clockwise. If it had turned counterclockwise, I could use it for vertical screen Ikaruga!