Bloody Tears (and Another Termina)

I was going to say, that first one sounded a bit sparse, and I didn't pick up any Termina quotes.

I like the concept. Obviously, the fiddle will sound much better done live. One thing you might want to play with is having the flute harmonize a third up from the melody when the fiddle comes in. Also, this song is screaming for a bodhran.

I'm gonna be honest and say at first when I heard the two-beat at the beginning of the song, I didn't think mixing this style and Bloody Tears would work out that great, but I was pleasantly suprised. It DOES work, and I hear something great coming out of this. If I would do ANYTHING though, I'd vary the chords at the beginning, not as to destroy the song, but it kind of sounds boring after you've heard the same 3 chords over and over again. The Termina reference is a refreshing change, and works GREAT for a Celtic-inspired tune, as you hear that sort of thing a LOT in Celtic music.

Take my suggestions with a grain of salt since I'm fairly new to remixing and all, but it didn't seem to fit to me once it got into the main melody for bloody tears at 0:35. I think it's partially because it's such a well known tune - maybe straying a little bit more from the source melody is in order.

Once the whistle and the fiddle break into the two parts at 0:50 it sounds really good again. And the Termina theme blends seamlessly in - I didn't even notice the switch right away the first time listening to it.

I really look forward to hearing the finished product - especially with the live instruments.

• 2 weeks later...

Still sounds pretty early; with all the empty space and such, but this has real potential. THe section where the fiddle and whistle are doing counterpoint is fantastic. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Is there any bass? The low end seems a bit sparse.

The guitar rhythms seem slightly off when they are move exposed, just the same sturmming patterns; not sure if it is an issue yet, but it might be somehing to keep in check.

Cool idea for sure. :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I can do live bass, depending on the difficulty of the material (A borrowed lefty bass, so yeah, I'm no pro on it, but I definitely have some skills). About the percussion, I have no clue what typical Irish percussion sounds like, but I do have Addictive Drums, so I can possibly put down some pretty authentical acoustic drumming where necessary. Contact me by PM or in this thread or on IRC or whatever if you want :P

Bass: acoustic would probably work best, though electric could work as well if it has a clean, light sound.

Percussion: I'm looking for something like Riverdance, or perhaps some of Great Big Sea's songs; some slick bodhran work perhaps supplemented by hand percussion and maybe a traditional drumset as well.

Hm, Ethnic percussion like that is unfortunately WAY out of my league, but I'd be more than happy to supplement the traditional drum kit if it's necessary.

The bass is an electric, though it might indeed work depending on the tone (Which shouldn't be too much of a problem to dial into Guitar Rig 2, and I'm not too sure on how many available remixers there are with an actual acoustic bass). So, your call, I won't be offended at all if you don't need my schtuff :3

• 2 weeks later...