Lost (season finale)

anyone that watched lost season finale tonight have any good theories about whats happening?

As much as I f***n love that show... This is SOOOO off topic. :-D

I don't have anything to contribute to this thread either.. That's why I love that show. I never know what's happening till it's happening, and HOLY SHIT did it take me for a trip when i figured out they were future flashes. I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

I dont think this thread should exist without a 'WARNING POTENTIALLY HUGE SPOILERS' sign somewhere.

hmm.. I think the title speaks for itself... but yes. It will be riddled with spoilers.

I don't know why someone would click it who hasn't watched and doesn't want it spoiled.

Huge spoilers or not... what could they possible read in a thread with that title that would not give something away? :-|

SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

Ohhhh my gosh. Where to start....

First off, I think it was completely unnecessary for Charlie to die. When he saw that Mikhail had the grenade, why didn't he just leave the room, and get the hell out of there? Or at least attempt to escape through the nice little hole in the wall? I liked Charlie...even if he was a druggie. :puppyeyes: He was far too hot to die...

So Mikhail apparently can't die. That's fun.

Then there's the whole flash forward thing with Jack...I must say, Alcoholic/Pill Popper/Bearded Jack is fun to watch. Oh the angst. Although I'm confused as to if this is in the future, then why did Jack seem to think his dad was alive? He said to the doctor that if he went upstairs, his father would be drunker than he was. Eh. Whatever.

There's the whole who was dead in the future thing too. I was trying to figure out who was in the coffin, and I'm guessing since Kate said she had to get back to someone it wasn't Sawyer. Since nobody showed up except for Jack, I'm guessing that it's either Locke or Ben. It could be Locke since it seems that he can only super-heal himself while on the island, so something might have happened when he left. Also, he doesn't seem to have any friends/family according to flashbacks, and why would any of the survivors come to his funeral when he did everything he could to stop them from getting off of the island. The only flaw I see with Locke being the one in the coffin is that if he were given the opportunity to leave the island, I'm pretty sure he would stay. So if it turns out that it is not Locke, I think the only other person who wouldn't have anyone come to his funeral is Ben. He knows nobody in the outside world except for the survivors. However, it's also hard to believe that Ben would leave the island that he's protecting. I think it has to be one of these two, and the question to who it is is just who would be more likely to leave the island?

What the fuck, Bernard, you dumbass dentist? Why the hell would you tell the Others where everybody else went? Oh well, if he hadn't I guess that means they'd all be dead. But stilllll...you listen to Sayid, he's always right. God.

I was completely overjoyed when Hurley came tearing out of the forest and ran down the others. Awesome, dude. And then Sayid's crazy neck breaking skills. And I loved when Sawyer shot Tom...that was amazing.

The whole Locke waking up in the pit not being dead thing...I'm thinking that he's alive because "Jacob" wants him to be alive. Most likely the same reason Mikhail won't die. I also think that Jacob is the smoke monster, which took the appearance of Walt, who for some reason is a whole lot older, even though it's apparently only been weeks since he left...Also, very glad he didn't kill Jack.

Which goes onto the whole satellite phone and the fact that Naomi is apparently not working for Penny. However, she had a picture of Desmond, which leads me to believe that she might be working for Penny's father? There's no hard proof on that, but I think it's a definite possibility. Also, since Jack spoke with the guys on the ship, and they seem to be locating them, will it be possible for them to actually get to the island? Also, once they do, how can they leave? Desmond was on a boat for quite awhile trying to get off the island, but he said it was like being trapped in a snowglobe. Even if they do manage to get off, where would the show go from there? The whole premise of the show is that they're all lost on this island. They also haven't explained a lot of stuff regarding the island, such as the black rock and the four toed statue.

</rambling>

SPOILERS. DO NOT READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED.

Ohhhh my gosh. Where to start....

First off, I think it was completely unnecessary for Charlie to die. When he saw that Mikhail had the grenade, why didn't he just leave the room, and get the hell out of there? Or at least attempt to escape through the nice little hole in the wall? I liked Charlie...even if he was a druggie. :puppyeyes: He was far too hot to die...

So Mikhail apparently can't die. That's fun.

Then there's the whole flash forward thing with Jack...I must say, Alcoholic/Pill Popper/Bearded Jack is fun to watch. Oh the angst. Although I'm confused as to if this is in the future, then why did Jack seem to think his dad was alive? He said to the doctor that if he went upstairs, his father would be drunker than he was. Eh. Whatever.

There's the whole who was dead in the future thing too. I was trying to figure out who was in the coffin, and I'm guessing since Kate said she had to get back to someone it wasn't Sawyer. Since nobody showed up except for Jack, I'm guessing that it's either Locke or Ben. It could be Locke since it seems that he can only super-heal himself while on the island, so something might have happened when he left. Also, he doesn't seem to have any friends/family according to flashbacks, and why would any of the survivors come to his funeral when he did everything he could to stop them from getting off of the island. The only flaw I see with Locke being the one in the coffin is that if he were given the opportunity to leave the island, I'm pretty sure he would stay. So if it turns out that it is not Locke, I think the only other person who wouldn't have anyone come to his funeral is Ben. He knows nobody in the outside world except for the survivors. However, it's also hard to believe that Ben would leave the island that he's protecting. I think it has to be one of these two, and the question to who it is is just who would be more likely to leave the island?

What the fuck, Bernard, you dumbass dentist? Why the hell would you tell the Others where everybody else went? Oh well, if he hadn't I guess that means they'd all be dead. But stilllll...you listen to Sayid, he's always right. God.

I was completely overjoyed when Hurley came tearing out of the forest and ran down the others. Awesome, dude. And then Sayid's crazy neck breaking skills. And I loved when Sawyer shot Tom...that was amazing.

The whole Locke waking up in the pit not being dead thing...I'm thinking that he's alive because "Jacob" wants him to be alive. Most likely the same reason Mikhail won't die. I also think that Jacob is the smoke monster, which took the appearance of Walt, who for some reason is a whole lot older, even though it's apparently only been weeks since he left...Also, very glad he didn't kill Jack.

Which goes onto the whole satellite phone and the fact that Naomi is apparently not working for Penny. However, she had a picture of Desmond, which leads me to believe that she might be working for Penny's father? There's no hard proof on that, but I think it's a definite possibility. Also, since Jack spoke with the guys on the ship, and they seem to be locating them, will it be possible for them to actually get to the island? Also, once they do, how can they leave? Desmond was on a boat for quite awhile trying to get off the island, but he said it was like being trapped in a snowglobe. Even if they do manage to get off, where would the show go from there? The whole premise of the show is that they're all lost on this island. They also haven't explained a lot of stuff regarding the island, such as the black rock and the four toed statue.

</rambling>

You said it. I agree with all of that except for the smoke monster being "Jacob". It is a great guess and you could be right but for now I'm going to tell myself "it's all magic". Mikhail is awesome. Zapped by death fence, harpoon of death shot into his heart and now the grenade of no return has blow up in his hand. If he is still alive he should have no left hand. I am completely confused about who dies in the future and has nobody come to the funeral viewing. It could be a lot of different people. Locke, Ben and Juliet are my best guesses. My second guesses would be Hurley and Sayid but I'm not sure. They can't all be rescued when this show is planned to go for another 3 seasons. Maybe the smoke monster will show up and destroy the helicopter and the boat.

I agree that the *logistics* behind Charlie's death was totally nonsensical.

And in hind sight, I'm a little surprised that Tom's death upset me marginally more than Charlie's. I always liked Tom, as he was really the first person you met that clued you into the fact that the Others weren't these faceless shadowy menaces. They were, in fact, wise-crakin' football playing, salt-of-the-earth guys. Tom's death, I suppose, was necessary to show what a fall Sawyer's having.

But really its the ending we should all be talking about. I love it. I love how it potentially sets up the next season for a really incredible ride.

What pisses me off, though, is that people are positing some pretty stupid theories as to what the ending means, and they all eschew the most obvious and clearly the most compelling answer: they made it.

SPOILERS:

In regard to above theories, I would have to assume that it is Juliette that dies in the future because I honestly don't see Jack becoming suicidal over the death of anybody else besides Kate. He was beginning to fall in love with her on the island, so I believe it was her.

As for Charlie's death, yes, he could have easily escaped and I believe he knew he could. There are two reasons he stayed. The first is that it was part of Desmond's vision that Charlie drowned and later Claire was taken off the island in the helicopter. I believe Charlie didn't want to stray from the vision since it risked the possibility of the vision changing and Claire or anybody else not being saved. The 2nd reason is because he was tired of trying to escape death. It seemed inevitable, and he might as well die for a meaningful reason.

Great finale though.

Ok. This is driving me nuts. There seem to be a lot of people online that think that the future Jack stuff doesn't happen, that it isn't "set in stone" and "didn't you see the heroes finale, it could change". They think that this stuff in the future with Jack were just some more of Desmond's flashes, and that it's possible to change that future. I really don't think that's true at all. Desmonds flashes aren't that clear, they're usually just bits and pieces. Nothing as clear as what they showed us with Jack. Gah.

That whole episode was a series of "Oh shits"s and "What the fuck?"s.

Okay, Charlie dying was probably the dumbest thing ever. Seriously, he could have just left the damn door open and the water would have taken an hour or so to fill the station.

Also, I hope to god they explain who Naomi was, because Ben was clearly wrong when he said that she would kill everybody, and she obviously wasn't out to find Desmond (or maybe she was, but she wasn't from Penny).

Thirdly, thank god Locke isn't dead. He's the only person on that damn island with a functioning brain. Also, I'm gonna guess that Walt was some kind of apparition, and not actually Walt himself (possibly related to Jacob somehow?).

The flash-forwards were pretty trippy. I was suspicious of what they were for most of the time, but he kept mentioning his father, which threw me off. I have no idea who died, and I'm not going to speculate since it's pretty useless

That pretty much wraps up my thoughts. One final thing (not finale related): does anyone else think the "smoke monster" might be a cloud of nanomachines? That seems like something the Dharma people would set up just for fun.

Funeral

The funeral was for Michael, Walt's dad. Look at the area of town it was in. It was a predominantly black neighborhood, and the reason nobody came to the service was because he had betrayed them all at the end of season 2 so he and Walt could leave. But, if it is Michael, it begs the question, why wasn't Walt there? It's not Ben because he'd never leave the island. It's not Locke for the same reasons. The coffin is too small to be Rose or Hurley. If Sun or Jin died, it would be in South Korea, not a little African-American funeral home in LA. Also the funeral home's name is an anagram for "flash forward."

Walt

Walt is a special kid. Special like Ben and Locke. Strange stuff was going on around him even before he got to the island. He reads a book about birds, and seconds later a bird, same species as the one he was just reading about, flies into the window. Without knowledge of the hatch, he told Locke not to open it. Odds are he's got something to do with the polar bear as well.

Jack's dad

Jack's father is dead. Jack was drunk and jonesing for a drug fix when he said to call his father. He was either just plain out of his mind when he said that, or it was one of those "do you know who my father is?" power-plays. So many comments I've read online indicate that people completely missed that he wasn't quite sane at that moment.

Charlie

This was dumb. The grenade only blew open the little glass window, which was too small for him to fit through. That huge room with the pool could have easily taken on water with plenty of time for them both to escape safely. I suppose this could all be reasoned away with Charlie expecting the grenade to blow a much larger hole in the wall, and once that turned out not to be so, there was too much water for him to easily reopen the door. There may be other decompression/structural engineering factors that I'm just not aware of, but then I remind myself it's a fictional TV show so logic doesn't apply anyways.

Other

Sayid killing the guy with his legs was fucking awesome. "Help me tie him up" is the greatest mother/daughter reunion line ever.

Funeral

The funeral was for Michael, Walt's dad. Look at the area of town it was in. It was a predominantly black neighborhood, and the reason nobody came to the service was because he had betrayed them all at the end of season 2 so he and Walt could leave. But, if it is Michael, it begs the question, why wasn't Walt there? It's not Ben because he'd never leave the island. It's not Locke for the same reasons. The coffin is too small to be Rose or Hurley. If Sun or Jin died, it would be in South Korea, not a little African-American funeral home in LA. Also the funeral home's name is an anagram for "flash forward."

Walt

Walt is a special kid. Special like Ben and Locke. Strange stuff was going on around him even before he got to the island. He reads a book about birds, and seconds later a bird, same species as the one he was just reading about, flies into the window. Without knowledge of the hatch, he told Locke not to open it. Odds are he's got something to do with the polar bear as well.

Jack's dad

Jack's father is dead. Jack was drunk and jonesing for a drug fix when he said to call his father. He was either just plain out of his mind when he said that, or it was one of those "do you know who my father is?" power-plays. So many comments I've read online indicate that people completely missed that he wasn't quite sane at that moment.

Charlie

This was dumb. The grenade only blew open the little glass window, which was too small for him to fit through. That huge room with the pool could have easily taken on water with plenty of time for them both to escape safely. I suppose this could all be reasoned away with Charlie expecting the grenade to blow a much larger hole in the wall, and once that turned out not to be so, there was too much water for him to easily reopen the door. There may be other decompression/structural engineering factors that I'm just not aware of, but then I remind myself it's a fictional TV show so logic doesn't apply anyways.

Other

Sayid killing the guy with his legs was fucking awesome. "Help me tie him up" is the greatest mother/daughter reunion line ever.

If you're right about it being Michael, then Walt probably didn't show up because he learned about what he did to get them off the island (killing Ana-Lucia and Libby and such.)

As for Walt, I doubt that was actually him. Here's MY crazy ridiculous theory about it all. Jacob and The Smoke Monster are not one and the same, but they are indeed closely related. Jacob can shift shapes and stuff, to communicate with people. This would explain Christian, Kate's horse, Walt, Yemi, and all other similar stuff. Jacob usually takes the form of someone the person knows or knew. So that way, Locke won't be all "Wait, who are you?" and go crazy and set fire to him, he'll think it's Walt. Wouldn't want to set fire to Walt. Same thing with Yemi and Eko. JacobYemi lured Eko into the jungle to have Smokey unleash hell.

I agree about Jack's dad, he was probably just drunk. When he said "upstairs" he probably meant Heaven or something.

And, yeah. Charlie's death made no sense, kind of. I wonder why he didn't go through the window or run out the door before everyone's favorite Immortal Cycloptic Russian Other Guy, Mikhail, blew up the window.

I burst out laughing when Hurley came in with the van. I forgot about those vans! I figured Hurley would stumble across something AMAZING, like Jacob's Secret Lair, and the camera would pan around to his face and he would say "Woah" or "Dude". But this works too.

FINALLY! I hated the flash "backs" until I saw the last one. I mean, bla bla bla, Jack sure was pathetic, come on let's get back to the island grrrrrrrrr. Now the flashforwards seem so much better now. I also hope that all flashbacks will be replaced by flashforwards, because there's really not much left to tell in them anymore. Although it could get confusing (as if it isn't now...)

Just watched. The entire sequence with Hurley crashing out of the jungle, Sayid breaking a neck with his legs, and Sawyer shooting Tom "for taking the kid off the raft" was my favorite scene, with Charlie's death coming in close second. I loved Charlie as a character, but honestly, how awful and anticlimactic would it have been for him to escape death once again? I was already peeved enough that he lived through the last episode, because it was simply time for him to die. I think that's the sort of thing that he knew intrinsically as well. As far as the logistics of it, you have to understand--if he hadn't shut Desmond out of that room, Desmond would have done everything he could to remain with the equipment and Penny's transmission, even to the point of risking his life. With that transmission Charlie knew that Desmond had something to live for, and he wasn't about to let Desmond throw his life away before reuniting with Penny. Charlie was content to have given Claire and Aaron a way off the island, so he did what he had to do. Plus, the death scene was the only real emotional part of the entire episode that didn't involve Jack and Kate, and I was seriously just gaping at the screen throughout.

We might get flashforwards from now on, going from the most distant future to most recent until--well, who knows what? It just seems fitting, now that they've only got 48 more episodes across 3 more seasons to wind everything down, to switch up the formula. Like someone else said, we've already learned almost everything relevant there is to learn from the past; it's time to see the present meet the future.

However, I have read comments from the show's writers and producers regarding the remaining 48 episodes that refer to the series finale as one to be "highly anticipated." This might mean that we will get little to no further information about the future, and the entire show will lead up to an explanation of what caused Jack to be so desperate and why Kate is reluctant to acknowledge what happened.

Whatever happens now, we know it can't be good for Jack to go from completely confident that he's in the right to suicidal regreat about his "mistake." And we will know forever more that not only is Locke right, he's completely bad ass.

I'm going to quote what I said on the previous page about Charlie's death, because a lot of people seem to be missing this.

As for Charlie's death, yes, he could have easily escaped and I believe he knew he could. There are two reasons he stayed. The first is that it was part of Desmond's vision that Charlie drowned and later Claire was taken off the island in the helicopter. I believe Charlie didn't want to stray from the vision since it risked the possibility of the vision changing and Claire or anybody else not being saved. The 2nd reason is because he was tired of trying to escape death. It seemed inevitable, and he might as well die for a meaningful reason.

And I still have a feeling that it was Juliette that died since Jack was so torn up about it that it pushed him to suicide. The African American community does point at Michael though, as others are saying.

I still don't watch Lost because it sticks quite to 2 things I really dislike:

A) It's almost as if it's like an ACTION soap opera...at night

B) It also reminds me of any anime like DBZ that just doesn't know when to end. No finite ending means ridiculously drawn out plotlines and cliff hangers and stories let so open ended they just get ridiculous. Which sets back to point A

Umm.. I'm no physicist... but wouldn't the water have flooded up though moon pool?

This would've made it pretty damn hard to swim out of... that water level can't just stay there if the place isn't air tight. The majority of the water would've been spewing up, while the air was releasing through the broken window (and obviously a lot was coming through the window as well) so he probably did end up saving Desmond.

B) It also reminds me of any anime like DBZ that just doesn't know when to end. No finite ending means ridiculously drawn out plotlines and cliff hangers and stories let so open ended they just get ridiculous. Which sets back to point A

You do realize there are only 48 episodes left, period, right? The producers confirmed there will be only three more seasons of 16 episodes each (running nonstop from January to May) and then it's over. That sounds like a finite ending to me.

You do realize there are only 48 episodes left, period, right? The producers confirmed there will be only three more seasons of 16 episodes each (running nonstop from January to May) and then it's over. That sounds like a finite ending to me.

Only because that's how long they feel like they can milk it. A story about people who get in a plane wreck on an island shouldn't go past 1 season, but no now they're in a black whole with super powers getting food shipments.

The series COULD'VE ended forever ago, but they just keep breathing more life into it. DBZ had a finite ending too, but that doesn't mean it didn't drag on for a ridiculously long time.

Umm.. I'm no physicist... but wouldn't the water have flooded up though moon pool?

This would've made it pretty damn hard to swim out of... that water level can't just stay there if the place isn't air tight. The majority of the water would've been spewing up, while the air was releasing through the broken window (and obviously a lot was coming through the window as well) so he probably did end up saving Desmond.

It'd well up, but it'd be nothing compared to the flooding coming in through the window. Because the amount of water coming in is only enough to replace the air leaving. If you lose one cubic meter of air a second, you gain one cubic meter of water a second. One cubic meter's flow, spread over that whole pool, is next to nothing, they could've swum out easily. Chuck was a moron who didn't think straight.

Only because that's how long they feel like they can milk it. A story about people who get in a plane wreck on an island shouldn't go past 1 season, but no now they're in a black whole with super powers getting food shipments.

The series COULD'VE ended forever ago, but they just keep breathing more life into it. DBZ had a finite ending too, but that doesn't mean it didn't drag on for a ridiculously long time.

... If you've ever watched the show you'd know theres plenty of material to work with.

It's not as though they've been living there for 20 years. Its been like.. 3 months? I don't know a single series that could NOT be wrapped up in a single season. But that wouldn't make for very much character or plot development.. let alone revenue.

Unrealistic? Yeah. You're absolutely right. It's not a reality t.v. show. It's a sci-fi drama.

It's not as though the all of a sudden

PEOPLE ARE COMING BACK FROM THE DEAD NOW OMG!

or

Holy crap we ran out of ideas, lets add a monster!

Ever since they got to the island things had been extremely strange. Within the first 5 episodes I think.. a guy who was paralyzed could walk, and there was some sort of beast in the forest. Things are changing... but no THAT drastically. They're discovering new weird shit. And most of all, things that weren't understood before are slowly being explained. Like those food shipments... they weren't food shipments... lol

They were supplies left from the last inhabitants who were all slaughtered.

Anyway, long post short, I'm glad they're ending it within the next 3 seasons.

A 6 season tv show lifespan is relatively very short. they COULD milk it and make it longer... as you can do with anything else. But they're smart enough not to.

It'd well up, but it'd be nothing compared to the flooding coming in through the window. Because the amount of water coming in is only enough to replace the air leaving. If you lose one cubic meter of air a second, you gain one cubic meter of water a second. One cubic meter's flow, spread over that whole pool, is next to nothing, they could've swum out easily. Chuck was a moron who didn't think straight.

lol, fair enough.

Don't you think it's unfair to assume the writers haven't known what's going on from the beginning and are just chucking random stuff at viewers to drag it out? You could say that about any incomplete series and it's be no different, but if you do that you must not watch much television.

Most primetime TV shows are designed first to hold enough interest for the initial 13-episode run to stay on the air and second to have enough material to last 100 episodes, which has been the traditional magic number for regaining production losses and making bank. Although the magic 100 is no longer applicable in the world of changing technology (viewers watching shows later than the debut time slot through TiVo and online services, downloading episodes from pay services like iTunes), the producers have stated this was their original goal and they're not exactly going far beyond it with 48 more episodes beyond the, what, 72 or so already aired?

Plus, they have the rare advantage of knowing and announcing an end ahead of time. Most shows do what you seem to believe Lost has been doing and just milk every ounce out of a franchise or limited story until the show dies bitterly. However, knowing that the end is coming, the producers can switch from rising to falling action and design everything to end very appropriately. How is that milking, to purposefully and intentionally bring a show to its end? If anything, Lost is doing much less in that department than most other primetime shows running for more than a couple of seasons.