Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

watkinzez

Because this thread was inevitable, and I wanted to make it after creating the Dead Man's Chest one.

Decent enough conclusion. Much of the (perhaps unneeded) complexity of the second film is dropped for the sake of a final showdown. The action was fun, though for some reason I preferred the three way swordfight over the sea battle at the end. Oh, and prepare to suspend disbelief quite a bit. ;)

***SPOILERS***

Norrington's death was lame. After the pretty cool direction his character turned in Dead Man's Chest, his non-involvement was a let down. You could tell his removal was for simplification of the plot, which is a shame. The 'three different motivations' thing set up previously was one my favourite things from 2.

No- what was it?

Spoilers for after credits and me expanding upon them:

It's 10 years later, and Elizabeth and a 9-10 year old son go to the edge of a cliff, where they await Will's return. The sunsets and does the green flash and you see Will riding in on the Flying Dutchman. I'm assuming this will complicate things if there's going to be sequels; it kind of killed what I thought would've been the natural progression of the story based on what they left at the end of the movie. (that is, Will attempting to become a normal human again (I mean, the green flash is rumored to happen when a dead person comes back to life, and the Flying Dutchman dissapears with a green flash...) or Elizabeth attempting to become immortal using the Water of Life stuff that Jack was looking for at the very end).

Overall I thought it was good, although I personally found the ending pretty dissatisfying; Everything that I didn't want to happen did, and it leaves a bunch of loose ends.

There's a line in the movie one reviewer quoted to sum up the plot, "Do you think he planned that or does he just make it up as he goes along?" That's about as accurate as it gets.

The story is a jumbled, incohesive mess. It seems like between 2 and 3 a whole bunch of stuff happened that we should have been made aware of so that we can understand why everybody's acting the way they are. And everyone constantly is backstabbing everyone else, so you really have no idea what they're trying to accomplish. In the first movie, even though Jack does that constantly, you know ultimately he's trying to get the Pearl back and ultimately Barbossa and the Commodore are his enemies, so he's more or less on Turner/Elizabeth's side despite all that. In this movie, you really have no friggin' idea who wants what outcome.

However, that being said, this is the definition of a big screen spectacle, and even with the incoherence, it's still the kind of movie you go to the theater for. The climax is large, long, and mostly satisfying. I think the camera man(woman/people) seriously deserve credit for how they shot this. Unlike Spidey, which relies on speed to keep you from actually seeing enough to notice glaring CGI and to get your mind filling in the blanks, you actually see everything in At World's End and it looks good.

I will say, of the ending, the door for Pirates 4 is certainly wide open, not that I really think they could have anything nearly as climactic as this one. Though, Bruckheimer said the trilogy was done as far as he was concerned, so I guess that depends on how much Disney wants it and who signs up for it.

Spoilers:

What the hell happened to the two fleets while the Dutchman and the Pearl go one on one? Were they just sitting around watching?

Also, is it fair to assume that it's "Will Turner's Locker" now? Thats kind of...sad.

And lastly, how in the hell did Disney approve this one. You have a kid hanged, a woman shot in the forehead hole and all, a very explicit sexual reference...it's pretty graphic for what started out as a series for a young audience. Hell, that scene where Davy Jones kills the second in command guy is enough to give them nightmares forever.

About the ending, and before I had this outside the spoiler but then I put it in here instead, while that whole ending is rather dissatisfying, you have to give them credit for not following the established formula.

I enjoyed this movie a lot more than the second one, mostly because of the back-stabbing and nefarious plotting. That's what I liked about the first one, and although they went a little overboard on this one, I still had fun watching it. Besides, it's not that hard to keep track of if you're paying attention.

Spoilers:

Also, the whole "wedding in the middle of a sword fight" was totally ridiculous. Seriously.

The whole god forsaken movie was cringe-worthy. What a load of crap. It's like the whole movie was made by a board of yes-men and marketing strategists.

Let's give Keira Knightly a new outfit. Make it Chinese! That'll sell some action figures.

Hey let's make this movie an equal opportunity pirate movie. We have to have one stereotypical pirate captain from each stereotypical race! Also, a Woman pirate captain, NAY pirate king!

Hey let's make a bunch of new characters that have nothing whatsoever to do with the plot but they look cool so we can sell more action figures!

And the plot made less sense than reading a 'Give Yourself Goosebumps' gamebook front to back. Honestly I had no idea what the fuck was going on half the time. Calypso who? Hey let's make half the movie about a character that simply turns into crabs and disappears. Davey Jones what? Oh ok we can go to Davey Jones' locker but we can't get back. Oh wait, we're back now, and we brought Jack Sparrow with us. Oh but we can't bring the Governor for some reason. Yes and it's totally possible to capsize a big ass boat by running around in circles. Hey you know what would be fun? As if Jack Sparrow wasn't crazy enough, let's make him talk to himself and have little versions of himself come out of his ears! As if that hasn't been done in every movie ever made ever. And that's not even the half of it.

Awful.

Yes, the movie was full of the characters plotting against each other, backstabbing, unclear motives, etc. I'd say it was probably worse than the convolution of the second one; it sheds light onto most of the major character's motivations and overloads you with them; in regards to the first post, the three motivations thing from the second movie is kind of dropped, but instead there's like 5-7 now.

The action scenes in this one seem to take the backburner; the second movie had several (maybe too many) over the top battles (dislodged and free rolling water wheels, etc) and the most this movie gets (spoilers)is an interestingly timed wedding ceremony with a gratuitous Matrix-esque slow motion wedding kiss with a full 720-1080 degree camera pan, all in the midst of two ships spinning around the center of a maelstrom.

The movie wasn't bad, and it did tie up the loose ends. It leaves room for a sequel while simultaneously being satisfying on its own. I was kind of expecting them to do an Evangelion-style existential analysis of Jack at some point in the movie, particularly when you first see him, but I guess most of the audience wouldn't get it. Of course, most of the audience probably didn't get everything anyway, and a lot of that has to do with some of the material not being fully explained.

Overall, not as good as the first, but better than the second. Disney will probably get my $15 for the DVD in November.

God, everyone is bitching about this movie.

Ignoring all the absurd drama and jumble of characters, all I would hope to expect from a freakin' pirate movie is some sword fighting and Jack Sparrow saying something witty and endearing.

I wasn't disappointed.

All I can say is, at least they minimized the overt references to the first movie. Geez, that's about all the second movie was to me - they couldn't go five minutes without referencing some character or line from the Curse of the Black Pearl.