Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

watkinzez

Eh.. spoilers

I did some research on it, and apparently the pact of being captain and only being able to touch land every 10 years is ended when the one that you left is faithful for the entire 10 years. Supposedly this scene was cut from the conversation between Calypso and Davy Jones due to time constraints, but it was stated by the writers as being the truth.

So he was pissed not only due to the fact that he waited 10 years, but due to the fact that he was abandoned after it. No such thing happened to Will, as evidenced by the after-the-credits scene (which I missed the first time around, but got to see eventually). Not sure if this was stated in the previous pages, as I skipped a few.

Oh yeah. Norrington's death sucked.

Eh.. spoilers

I did some research on it, and apparently the pact of being captain and only being able to touch land every 10 years is ended when the one that you left is faithful for the entire 10 years. Supposedly this scene was cut from the conversation between Calypso and Davy Jones due to time constraints, but it was stated by the writers as being the truth.

So he was pissed not only due to the fact that he waited 10 years, but due to the fact that he was abandoned after it. No such thing happened to Will, as evidenced by the after-the-credits scene (which I missed the first time around, but got to see eventually). Not sure if this was stated in the previous pages, as I skipped a few.

Oh yeah. Norrington's death sucked.

Really? Sounds like a very important part to cut out of the movie. Especially to make the extra scene make sense.

Mind to post the source for that, VGJunky?

I read the wiki's but nothing was ever mentioned about that. But THIS would make the whole "flying dutchman" thing a bit better than saying "the ship needs a captain, heart of the ship, heart of the crew - always and forever".

Then again, who'll be the next one? And that thing only happened with Jones anyway (heart cut out), while Calisto was in charge of the souls.

That information about the curse of the Flying Dutchman really ticks me off. Keeping that out of the movie completely ruins a large part of the story. That explains so much. Not to mention it does bring about potential for further movies unlike others who have said :spoilers:that a sequel couldn't happen because Elizabeth had her son and that means she didn't travel with Jack to find the fountain of youth so that she could live with Will forever. But now that's a possibility since Will is already immortal-ish and has a ship for them to go find it. Then again, what about him having to be in charge of ferrying the souls?

Mind to post the source for that, VGJunky?

I read the wiki's but nothing was ever mentioned about that. But THIS would make the whole "flying dutchman" thing a bit better than saying "the ship needs a captain, heart of the ship, heart of the crew - always and forever".

Then again, who'll be the next one? And that thing only happened with Jones anyway (heart cut out), while Calisto was in charge of the souls.

Actually, from what I read on the Wiki's Davy Jones came back, and she wasn't there THEN he cut his heart out and thus the curse STARTED. Then will was first to actually be taken by the curse and it was lifted because she WAS there and he didn't have the same misfortune as Davy Jones thus curse = lifted because he doesn't turn into an angry asshat.

HOWEVER that does debunk the "Must have a captain" thing.

But I've also heard the "that's why Jones was so pissed" thing too.

There's some other information that would've been nice to have too that got cut from the film. It explains Jack's relationship to Beckett and Davy Jones.

Originally, Jack worked for Beckett legitimately, captaining the East India Trading Company ship Wicked Wench. At some point or another, Beckett demands Jack deliver a cargo which Jack finds out is slaves. Jack refuses, and Beckett orders the Wench burned and sunk. Beckett then brands Jack a pirate, literally.

Jack, having been born the son of pirate Captain Teague, embraces the status. He goes to Davy Jones and asks that he raise the Wench and allow Jack to be her captain again. Jones demands a price of 100 years' service aboard the Flying Dutchman. Jack agrees, the wench is raised and re-christened the Black Pearl. Since she is more or less a ghost ship, the Pearl then becomes the fastest ship on the sea, faster even than the Dutchman.

Another thing they fail to do in the movie is sing the whole song, Hoist the Colours. The part the kid sings references the story of Calypso and the 9 Pirate Lords, but the latter half that you don't hear is a call for help, which knowing it, makes it make more sense as to why they kept going on about the song being sung.

The lyrics are:

The King and his men

stole the Queen from her bed

and bound her in her Bones.

The seas be ours

and by the powers

where we will we’ll roam.

Yo, ho, haul together,

hoist the Colors high.

Heave ho, thieves and beggars,

never say we die.

Some men have died

and some are alive

and others sail on the sea

– with the keys to the cage…

and the Devil to pay

we lay to Fiddler’s Green!

The bell has been raised

from it’s watery grave…

Do you hear it’s sepulchral tone?

We are a call to all,

pay head the squall

and turn your sail toward home!

Yo, ho, haul together,

hoist the Colors high…

Heave ho, thieves and beggars,

never say we die.

There's some other information that would've been nice to have too that got cut from the film. It explains Jack's relationship to Beckett and Davy Jones.

Originally, Jack worked for Beckett legitimately, captaining the East India Trading Company ship Wicked Wench. At some point or another, Beckett demands Jack deliver a cargo which Jack finds out is slaves. Jack refuses, and Beckett orders the Wench burned and sunk. Beckett then brands Jack a pirate, literally.

Jack, having been born the son of pirate Captain Teague, embraces the status. He goes to Davy Jones and asks that he raise the Wench and allow Jack to be her captain again. Jones demands a price of 100 years' service aboard the Flying Dutchman. Jack agrees, the wench is raised and re-christened the Black Pearl. Since she is more or less a ghost ship, the Pearl then becomes the fastest ship on the sea, faster even than the Dutchman.

Once again, hard to believe as it sounds too important to be left out of the movie. Where are you getting this stuff?

Actually, from what I read on the Wiki's Davy Jones came back, and she wasn't there THEN he cut his heart out and thus the curse STARTED. Then will was first to actually be taken by the curse and it was lifted because she WAS there and he didn't have the same misfortune as Davy Jones thus curse = lifted because he doesn't turn into an angry asshat.

HOWEVER that does debunk the "Must have a captain" thing.

But I've also heard the "that's why Jones was so pissed" thing too.

This is the thing that's kinda bugging me. The ship always needs a captain, Will got the new one, they cut out his heart, Elisabeth get's the heart for taking care of it ("it always belonged to you"). So if he holds through the 10 years and get's back on the island, and if the course is lifted - there're still too many plotholes to be honest.

Who will be the next captain (I thought the Dutchman is the Ghost Ship that takes care of the souls thanks to Calypso)? Can he get his heart back? (according to Calypso, the counterpart has to give away "hers", too)? Who will be the next keeper of the realm of the mourning souls?

Nice story indeed, but this just ruins it. Maybe it is covered in the "Adventure of Jack Sparrow" books (didn't read them, don't even know WHERE to get them), but it would have been nice if it would have been in the movie, too.

This is the thing that's kinda bugging me. The ship always needs a captain, Will got the new one, they cut out his heart, Elisabeth get's the heart for taking care of it ("it always belonged to you"). So if he holds through the 10 years and get's back on the island, and if the course is lifted - there're still too many plotholes to be honest.

Who will be the next captain (I thought the Dutchman is the Ghost Ship that takes care of the souls thanks to Calypso)? Can he get his heart back? (according to Calypso, the counterpart has to give away "hers", too)? Who will be the next keeper of the realm of the mourning souls?

Nice story indeed, but this just ruins it. Maybe it is covered in the "Adventure of Jack Sparrow" books (didn't read them, don't even know WHERE to get them), but it would have been nice if it would have been in the movie, too.

"Adventures of Jack Sparrow" covers most of the stuff I posted of the relationship between Beckett and Jack. The stuff about Davy Jones is based on Wagners opera "The Flying Dutchman."

Well.. (spoiler)After the credits, it is revealed that Will and Elizabeth have had a son, whose name is also William Turner, and the family is seen reuniting ten years later. In the film, it is unclear whether Elizabeth's fidelity will allow Will to be with her, but the writers confirmed that the flash of green light seen at the end is the sign that Will's soul has returned to Earth and that they can live as a family.

http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Pirates_of_the_Caribbean:_At_World%27s_End#Synopsis

Yeah, this would be a good place to end it. Sort of keep the Pirates adventure "neverending".

I liked it a lot, I thought it was better than the second film. Although I still like the first best, this third film was a combination of the first film's somewhat higher emphasis on character, acting, and rapscallion adventure and the second movie's big grandiose CG scenes and of course the continuation of its big plot. Also the location designs and cinematography in regards to them was really beautiful.

A lot have complained that its too complex, and I guess I can see why but I didn't personally have any trouble keeping up. And I even really liked that it got a bit more complex...and that a lot of the amgiuous siding was because of Will this time, which was sort of a cool book end to the first film where he was such an honest and straightforward do gooder. I also liked that Liz had a huge part in this film. It was basically her movie, but it didn't come out of nowhere as she's progressed from the first film to this one and we've seen her enamorment with Piracy get greater gradually. She sure had a lot to deal with in this movie. A friend of mine who saw it with me noted that it was kind of cool how the first movie was Will's movie, second was Jack's, and this third one was Liz's.

Barbossa definitely stole the show though. That guy is the embodiment of everything that makes Pirates as a concept awesome. If they do make another, Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa should never not be in the same movie again, they just make it so much fun since they're like the classic rivals, two different sides of the same coin. My only real gripes though, are that I expected so much more from Chow Yun Fat's character but he ended up kind of a putz. Also, when he gives Liz his command I thought it was kinda cool...but it sort of came out of nowhere too. I guess he thought she was Calypso which explains it, and it was cool to see her take on that role and kind of complete her total abandonment of "traditional ladylikeness". But still it felt awkward at first. Also, I kind of wanted Norrington to have a bit more of a noteworthy end. He just kinda appeared, then had a line or two, then died.

And finally...Calypso just kinda giving everyone the finger and leaving, after all of that stuff about bringing her back. A bit anti-climactic. lol Not too fitting for a pirates' lot though, and I guess the storm helped but still so much leading up to her turning into a bunch of crabs. But all and all it was a very fun film.

I just saw a commercial for this movie, and one of the praises was "The best movie of the Summer".

Now, I enjoyed the first two films, and I'll see this one when it comes out on DVD. But uh... does that praise sound remarkably stupid to anyone else, given that Summer hasn't even started yet?

I was thinking that exact same thing today.

I just saw a commercial for this movie, and one of the praises was "The best movie of the Summer".

Now, I enjoyed the first two films, and I'll see this one when it comes out on DVD. But uh... does that praise sound remarkably stupid to anyone else, given that Summer hasn't even started yet?

Eh you know how those "rave review" trailers are. I barely even notice them anymore since they've become so automatic.

I was thinking that exact same thing today.

i can't say7 it's the best movie of the summer...i was enoyable, I can say that. I'm not gonna say it was cooler than transformers, but I think it was cooler than Spiderman 3 and as potentially cool as Fantastic Four COULD be, but then again....I'm a huge fan of pirates (in general...not nessacarily the series) and transformers, so tak that with a grain of salt...