OCR00746 - Mach Rider "Mach Schnell"

Ginnsu

Mach Rider 'Mach Schnell'

Astounding, and very unusual is the only way I can think to describe this piece of work. If there is one good thing to say about about synths and techno, its that they can sound a lot like old chip tunes if you really want them to, which is really exactly why this mix appeals to me. Well, maybe not the only reason, that drumbeat (aside from the fact that I think it could have used a tad more filler to tie it together) is pretty kickin' too. Besides which, can you imagine what this might have sounded like without it... ? *Shudder* As I said before, astounding mix, munky. Come out with some more like this and you'll easily climb up on to my good side.

I've only played MachRider once or twice, so I don't really recognize the tune, but still this is a great piece of work. All the distortion and effects were great, and I could really tell that some nice work was put into this one. Furthermore, although it doesn't elaborate a whole lot, none of the effects are the least bit unpleasent nor does it get annoyingly repetitive. Nice job, munky...I'm glad that some more obscure games are getting good coverage...

Ey!

A remix of my FATHER's favorite game! 8O

Mach Rider was this cool, futuristic motorcycle game, were you crashed

Mad Max-cars with your little cannon.

Munky have done an awsome job with this one. This is the kind of music I want to listen to while playing Mach Rider 8)

//Solarus

whooooa dude, damn man,

i'd never think MachRider's music would ever see the light of day! But thankfully you decided to give it a try!

Well, i DO remember playing this game, and when i was DLing the mix, i was worried that it might be a track that i don't remember from the game, but luckily, it's a mix of the ONLY tune that i remember from the game........(and the catchy tune was the ONLY highlight, the game itself sucked.)

As for your mix, it's not bad, certain parts seemed a little too close to the NSF file, but i guess you were just using it as a background to lay the foundation for your remix, i like the drum beats, funky stuff.

• 1 month later...

Mach Rider lost some of it's obscurity after it had a decent mention in Super Smash Brothers Melee, (not only in the form of one of the trophies, but a remix of all the main Mach Rider themes is the alternate music to the Big Blue stage, one of the hidden levels) but I'm glad it did, now perhaps more people will look at that trophy, listen to the music, and think "Hey, I should try that game, sounds fun!" like I did. =)

I personally like this remix a lot, good fade-in, gradually building up the full theme, nice beats, while the NES blips keep it true to the original sound track.

Oh heya, I'm a newbie. Glad to be here. =P

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I was the only person on earth to play this game. I bought it from some guy for like $5 almost 14 years ago. This song brought back a lot of memories of my earlier Nintendo game days. This song made me register here, just so I could post this! It's awesome.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
Mach Rider lost some of it's obscurity after it had a decent mention in Super Smash Brothers Melee, (not only in the form of one of the trophies, but a remix of all the main Mach Rider themes is the alternate music to the Big Blue stage, one of the hidden levels)

Ah! I was wondering where I'd heard the music before, because I know I had, and knew with equal certainty that I hadn't ever played the game before.

As for this mix itself, I dunno... It feels like it just took the chiptune, and made another chiptune out of it. I prefer when more sweeping changes are made. But it's still a catchy tune with nice effects overlaid, so I can't complain too much.

• 4 months later...

Haha! Dis' b tyte, yo! I remember emulating MR and wondering where the music came from. Thanks HHog for the reminder. Playing MR made me think that F-Zero was somewhat based off of it, I think it is.

I wish more "obscure" games were remixed. It seems like it is nothing nothing but "The Legend of Super Mega Final Mario ZeldaManvania Trigger Kong Fantasy 64 X7 5 : The Innocent Sonata of the Lamb Dragon" these days. Not to say those are bad songs, but it seems like they were the only ones listed in the 100 at http://oc.ormgas.com . What is that saying about OC Remix in general?

I wish more "obscure" games were remixed. It seems like it is nothing nothing but "The Legend of Super Mega Final Mario ZeldaManvania Trigger Kong Fantasy 64 X7 5 : The Innocent Sonata of the Lamb Dragon" these days. Not to say those are bad songs, but it seems like they were the only ones listed in the 100 at http://oc.ormgas.com . What is that saying about OC Remix in general?

It just says what's already obvious, i.e. that more popular game series are always gonna get preferential treatment from the "masses", as it were, over all other ReMixes, which I also feel is a huge problem. As a staff member at Ormgas, I wanna stress that it's not a fault of Ormgas's that its Top 100 looks like that. Nonetheless, welcome to OCR's version of mainstream vs. underground appreciation.

Getting back on topic to this mix, since it would be bad form to not comment, this was a bit repetitive. The lo-fi, chiptune vibe was pretty good, though the last section went pretty over-the-top with the cymbal usage. The beats were pretty decent though. "Mach Shnell" is certainly cool for what it was back in the day.

It just says what's already obvious, i.e. that more popular game series are always gonna get preferential treatment from the "masses", as it were, over all other ReMixes, which I also feel is a huge problem. As a staff member at Ormgas, I wanna stress that it's not a fault of Ormgas's that its Top 100 looks like that. Nonetheless, welcome to OCR's version of mainstream vs. underground appreciation.

Getting back on topic to this mix, since it would be bad form to not comment, this was a bit repetitive. The lo-fi, chiptune vibe was pretty good, though the last section went pretty over-the-top with the cymbal usage. The beats were pretty decent though. "Mach Shnell" is certainly cool for what it was back in the day.

It would have probably been better for you to make your comment first, as the first bit of text is the one that appears Community Reviews section...but whatever.

Later the day I posted that, I thought, "Wait a second, just because those are the top rated ones at Ormgas doesn't neccesarily reflect the ideals of OCRemix." So I apologize. Sorry if I offended you. But that does represent what people's opinions are, so I wasn't completely wrong in what I said. I can't completely blame them, those are some of the most popular game titles.

I'm just not too down with all the Megaman/Final Fantasy/Chrono Trigger remixes. Let me rephrase that, I'm not down with "seeing so many of them listed". I've only heard a few (maybe none of them) so I have no right to judge them. It is just that I haven't played those games in my childhood for me to recognize them.

Through emulation, I really liked Chrono Trigger, but I haven't got absorbed in MegaMan too much (those games are just too damn hard for me to enjoy) and Final Fantasy (I haven't really played any that I just didn't like, except for FF7 and maybe FF8, but I never got that into it. So far, I only recognize FF1 battle music and the Victory fanfare.)

Though, sooner or later, I will listen to them. I hope to Jeebus that I like them, because there is some great stuff out there.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I missed this when it was posted back in '02. Heard it not too long ago when I decided to download the torrent collections, and I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the funkiest beats I'd ever heard (both beat-wise and odd-wise).

When I checked out the source, I was surprised to see how close the remix was to original. To me, this is a perfect example of taking a lo-fi source tune and bringing out the potential that the limited hardware may have held back.

Good stuff, munky.

• 11 months later...

Pretty chiptuney; I vaguely remember the theme to this game, I might have even owned it when I was a kid. As is, I'm not really sold on this one, it seems like the same melody with some effects and drum loops added. Combined with a repetitive theme, it doesn't make this one stick out in my mind well at all.

It's fine when listening, but it's pretty forgettable.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00746 - Mach Rider "Mach Schnell"